Epoz Aktimate Mini V Audioengine A5

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Morning all

I'm looking at getting an Ipod speaker system that will sit in a small room with the speakers sitting on stands and would like to hear from anyone who has done a direct comparison between the Aktimate Mini's and the Audioengine A5's. Any opinions on the difference in sound quality between the two would be greatly appreciated.

A

Anonymous

Mr Soul .... Might be too late with my (1st ever) reply... but I went through this thought process and eventually went for the Aktimates. Believe the Aktimates are slightly larger but they definitely had more in terms of input/output options which influenced my decision. Most importantly: the sound. I am very very happy with the Aktimates and have had a few comments from others as to the quality of sound: good bass (plenty for a decent sized room) and crisp mid/treble - richer than Audioengine in my opnion. They took a little running in but I love them.

One additional point : I always planned to use the ipod dock in the top of speaker...but then found out it didnt fit when on my shelf (yes I know they should be on stands!!!). Anyway, I now have an ipod touch in a dock plugged into back of Aktimates (using decents cable). 2 points here 1) the sound is still great (and MUCH better than plugging the 3,5mm jack into headphone socket) and 2) I am now listening much more to radio apps (check out Radio Paradise - no commericials - and high quality) then my own music. Lesson learned: is you are not using the "ipod host" in the left speaker, use a dock!

Downside: remote a bit naff - I dont use it and would say that the volume goes up and down in (too) large amounts when listening to direct feed ipod. Very small beans.

Finally, I bought mine reconditioned at Audioaffair with hefty discount. All good so far!!

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Hey thanks for the reply.

I went for the Aktimate's in the end and also purchased the QED U-Play Bluetooth adaptor to stream from both my PC and phone and so far I'm really happy with the results. I find the treble and the mid's extremely revealing although I do find the bass a little bloomy and although I have the speakers on decent stands I can't seem to eradicate the problem and think its more down to the room than anything else.

I'm very happy with my purchase and can honestly say they represent good value for money and are a convenient and simple to use setup!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts