Epos ELS-303 Floorstanders

T

the record spot

Has anyone heard anything of these speakers? I've seen them for a good price and they've had a few good reviews...

....actually, I'm not sure why I'm looking at other speakers; I'm sitting here with a stupid smile on my face as Eleanor McEvoy's Early Hours album on SACD is coming out of the Missions, but it's like she's in my living room....what a great recording and the Marantz does a fine job of bringing out the detail in her voice. Thought you'd like to know!

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
I've heard them, and they are not quite as impressive as their little brother, ELS3. Perhaps due to the larger enclosure they lose the transparency and speed of the ELS3. The sound is inoffensive but borders on being bland and the bass is boomy without definition.

I'm not sure why I'm responding to this, but I have nothing else to do, since my system has been dissembled and waiting for the new components to arrive. ÿ

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
I was going to purchase these but I don't think I will now

I want to replace my Mission M32i's I need some floorstanders as Bookshelf speakers don't have enough bottom end for me and the cheap sub I have just makes the bass muddy

What floorstanding speakers would be good at £200? They will be running off 2 x 25w

Sorry for the thread hi-jack

T

the record spot

The ELS-303s got a good review in The Absolute Sound (saw a PDF of the article earlier) - great midrange, decent lows, but not through the floor, and a sweet high. One retailer has them for £160 new currently. They also got a Hi Fi Choice Bronze award in 2005 and originally retailed for £400. Worth shortlisting at that price IMO.

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
They are still on the list - to be honest I miss my MS 906i but can't find any at a good price - what I really want is something as good if not better than those and to keep the looks as they did look great

The missions I have now are just black boxes that do sound good but I need the thump at the low end and my sub will have to go untill I can affort the BK XLS300 or Monolith for proper ground shaking bass

mikeinbrum

Oct 22, 2008
Visit site
If you can stretch to £300, Superfi were selling the epos M16 floorstanders at this price (original price was £800) they are a big step up in class from the ELS-303. Worth seeing if there are any left?

A

Anonymous

batonwielder:
I've heard them, and they are not quite as impressive as their little brother, ELS3. Perhaps due to the larger enclosure they lose the transparency and speed of the ELS3. The sound is inoffensive but borders on being bland and the bass is boomy without definition.

I absolutely agree. The ELS3 may lack low frequency weight, and can scream sometimes, but they are very transparent and have a delightful timing; it's a special little speaker. The floorstanders are nothing special.

I think changing your Mission's for an ELS303 is not really an upgrade.

A

Anonymous

mikeinbrum:If you can stretch to £300, Superfi were selling the epos M16 floorstanders at this price (original price was £800) they are a big step up in class from the ELS-303. Worth seeing if there are any left?

Good idea. The M16 sounds similar to the M12.2, but with more bass, and only a slight loss of speed compared to the M12.2. They are beautiful floorstanders too.

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
I don't think they have any left at that price

What about the Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3? I've seen them at £200 but there seems to be two different versions of this speaker one with black woofers and one with white woofers with the mid being smaller than the bass driver

Would these be better for me?

T

the record spot

I'd spotted the M16 deal a while back too which seemed like a good deal, don't think they had as good reviews as the improved version though (suffixed with an "i" and retail around the £800-mark or so).

Here's a review for the ELS-303 I mentioned earlier from The Absolute Sound - or a link to it anyway (PDF).

http://www.avguide.com/products/product-3591/

Not so good for bass fiends, but good if you like a clean midrange and articulate bass with a rolled off treble. Horses for courses though.

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
Great review and If I had the money to buy them and a sub I would but I just have enough for speakers

In the review is says not good for rock type of music and that's what I listen to rock, dance and R&B

So would the AE do the job?

Q Bass

Sep 5, 2007
Visit site
I managed to get hold of some Sony SS-F6000 floorstanders to get me by till I pick the right speakers - They look fun with loads of drive units so I'm thinking they should be interesting

A

Anonymous

Q Bass:

What about the Acoustic Energy Aegis Neo 3? I've seen them at £200 but there seems to be two different versions of this speaker one with black woofers and one with white woofers with the mid being smaller than the bass driver

The one with white mid-woofer and woofer is the Evo 3, and the one with two black woofers of the same size is the Neo 3.

I haven't listened to the Neo 3, but the Evo 3 was great. Warm and almost meaty sound, with lots of air and the most precise stereo imaging I've encountered on a floorstander at this price. It was however very polite, transient attack was very soft. But the sound was very refined.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts