Does full HD make much difference in SD

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi

Still in the process of choosing my tv for me new house. Just got one question, does it make a difference watching SD TV with a full HD TV or one thats just HD ready.

Sorry if its a stupid question lol

Thanks

It really depends on the TV screen size. A full HD TV (1080i/p) will have to upscale SD images (576) more than an HD ready TV (720p). You won't notice much difference (if at all) in TVs smaller than 32 inches, but as TV size goes up, the difference will become apparent.

When purchasing your TV, also consider future viewing. With increasing number of HD channels, I won't be surprised if HD becomes the norm in 2-3 years & SD ceases to exist.

A

Anonymous

Right thanks

im slowly narrowing them down, so really i need to be looking at full HD only then.

Thanks again

A

Anonymous

bigboss:
It really depends on the TV screen size. A full HD TV (1080i/p) will have to upscale SD images (576) more than an HD ready TV (720p). You won't notice much difference (if at all) in TVs smaller than 32 inches, but as TV size goes up, the difference will become apparent.

When purchasing your TV, also consider future viewing. With increasing number of HD channels, I won't be surprised if HD becomes the norm in 2-3 years & SD ceases to exist.

That's a bit optimistic, given the bandwidth constraints when switching every channel over to HD, never mind the expense for the TV companies of converting all their equipment, particularly the smaller ones such as Information TV, I'd be surprised if there's still not a fair number of SD channels around in 10 years time, and probably much longer than that.

A

Anonymous

So your saying there int much point then in getting a full HD TV if im just going to be watching normal SD then.

Would it make any difference at all to SD picture quality on a 42 inch

Thanks

A

Anonymous

if you opt for the hd ready panasonic you will get a good sd picture , but not as good a hd picture as a full hd set ..

if you opt for the samsung b550 you will still get a very good sd picture , and a better hd picture than the panasonic ..

A

Anonymous

Right thanks, out of the two would the panasonic or the b550 have the best SD picture. And does the full HD 1080p have any effect on SD.

Really dont no what im looking for lol

Cheers

A

Anonymous

its hard to say without a direct comparism which one would be better with sd , the panny being 720p will mean that the tv has less upscaling to do with the sd images , but the samsung is a very very good upscaler , id say it would be very close , but again , the sammy would be sharper and more detailed with hd , maybe the whfi team could give their views on which would be the better with sd ??

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
More important than the pixel numbers are how good the upscaling hardware is

Some tvs have pretty poor scalers in them (Top of the range being the pioneers, unfortunately no longer sold)

Samsung and Sony tend to have pretty decent scalers in them (The higher end models im talking of)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts