Does anyone use custom isolation feet in their floorstanders?

jayukguy147

Aug 12, 2022
Visit site
I own Tannoy precision 6.4... I have wooden floors and just using standard base.

I've noticed IsoAcoustics Gaia Series Isolation Feet., But at £400!!!

Any other cheaper options, but the actual look is important to me

:)

barcpc

Mar 23, 2021
Visit site
I have a Monitor Audio Silver monitoraudio.com/en/product-ranges/silver-series-7g/silver-200-7g/ and use the standard Outrigger Feet nothing else.
I'll love to see the replies and comments,

D

Deleted member 195594

There's an online retailer called Herbie's Audio Lab I believe, that sell threaded isolation/decoupler feet. Massively cheaper than IsoAcoustics, but if looks are important, maybe not 😊. Looked at these myself for my bouncy wooden floor

Reactions: Al ears

martinus

Feb 23, 2020
Visit site
I do use custom isolation feed under my speakers. I bought second hand IsoAcoustics Gaia III. I like them very much. In the past I did make feed from silicone sealant; very cheap with good results.

RoA

Feb 11, 2021
Visit site
Just put them on some sorbothane pods. Size is determined by the weight but 4x 50 mill ones should support most floorstanders, even hefty ones. 40 or so quid should do it.

jayukguy147

Aug 12, 2022
Visit site
If some said a certain type of speakers " falls short on subtlety and timing"

Could someone translate that to me to understand easier? , Within the world of speakers :)

Last edited:

treesey

[cheapskate]
I had some fake-tiled-floor-for-bathroom on-a-roll left-over from a refit in a flat we were renting out. So for the wooden floors in our house, I cut out speaker-footprint shaped pads, so the speaker base rests completely on approx. 4mm of medium density 'foam' and pretend tile. Seems isolated to me. And you can't see the pads as they are slightly smaller than the bases.
[/cheapskate]

Oh - I should add my wooden floors are solid oak parkay on solid concrete, so not proper bouncy wood. Am I doing it wrong?

Last edited:
[cheapskate]
I had some fake-tiled-floor-for-bathroom on-a-roll left-over from a refit in a flat we were renting out. So for the wooden floors in our house, I cut out speaker-footprint shaped pads, so the speaker base rests completely on approx. 4mm of medium density 'foam' and pretend tile. Seems isolated to me. And you can't see the pads as they are slightly smaller than the bases.
[/cheapskate]

Oh - I should add my wooden floors are solid oak parkay on solid concrete, so not proper bouncy wood. Am I doing it wrong?
No but if I had mine on a solid floor like you have I would have stuck with the spikes.

abacus

Before paying a lot of cash pop down to B & Q and pick up some Anti Vibration Washing Machine Feet Pads, as it may be all you need, (About £5) if you don’t notice a suitable improvement then go for the more expensive option. (Iso Acoustics is the gold standard but boy do you pay for it)

Bill

If some said a certain type of speakers " falls short on subtlety and timing"

Could someone translate that to me to understand easier? , Within the world of speakers :)
Sounds like a WHF review! Falls short on subtlety probably means it’s a bit brash or shouty. Think of cupping your hands around your mouth and talking - a sort of colouration.

Timing is more arguable, but it typically means the listener doesn’t feel that the band is really all playing together - like an ‘off’ night. They attribute that to the speaker. It might mean the speaker drive units aren’t well integrated or matched by the crossover.

Plenty of other ways to interpret it, but I hope that helps a bit.

Reactions: jayukguy147

treesey

No but if I had mine on a solid floor like you have I would have stuck with the spikes.

Into my beautiful oak parkay??????? You're as mad as an... an... audiophile....

I suppose I could try the spikes into the washing-machine isolation feet, which I bought for the w/m, and then found that old bike inner-tubes, folded-over four times, are an ASTONISHINGLY good solution - the w/m is now silent, and it's on a suspended wooden-floor.

(Tip #48 there, for free.)

Into my beautiful oak parkay??????? You're as mad as an... an... audiophile....

I suppose I could try the spikes into the washing-machine isolation feet, which I bought for the w/m, and then found that old bike inner-tubes, folded-over four times, are an ASTONISHINGLY good solution - the w/m is now silent, and it's on a suspended wooden-floor.

(Tip #48 there, for free.)
I actually meant spikes into a cheap floor -protecting metal cups.....wouldn't want to damage your lovely parquet...

Reactions: treesey

treesey

Just to say I am always happy to take advice - I've dug out some old granite? tiles from a kitchen rebuild, put these on the foam 'padding', and put the spikes back into the 753s in the 'parkay' room. I've rerun MCACC on the Pioneer, set the fronts to 'small', subwoofer crossover to 80Hz, and running in 'Direct' mode (so that's 753s plus subwoofer only) even Louis Armstrong's natural sibilance sounds good, as does his trumpet... more importantly the double bass sounds like... a double bass, thanks almost totally to the subwoofer - if you switch to 'Pure Direct' (no SW) then the double-bass player almost leaves the room.

Using manual MCACC, I also rolled off the HF slightly as suggested by Pioneer, as the room is basically hard surfaces only. No curtains and one rug.

I think putting the spikes back into the floorstanders has helped slightly, but it's very difficult to compare back to back.

Yes or no to my solution?

(I can't believe there's a ding in the speaker base!)

753-granite-spikes.jpg

D

Deleted member 195594

I bit the bullet and ordered the Gaia III for my Comete's/stands. Got a deal @£325

I was hesitant as I know these are meant for floorstanders, but I've read where users have fitted them on Standmount stands with positive results. Plus, my Comete's are bolted onto Triangle's own stands, so kind of like a single unit (coupled?) . We'll see anyway 🤔

Reactions: Clarkey_71
I bit the bullet and ordered the Gaia III for my Comete's/stands. Got a deal @£325

I was hesitant as I know these are meant for floorstanders, but I've read where users have fitted them on Standmount stands with positive results. Plus, my Comete's are bolted onto Triangle's own stands, so kind of like a single unit (coupled?) . We'll see anyway 🤔
I don’t think they’re necessarily ’meant’ for floorstanders, though excessive bass or lumpy bass more likely to be found there.

Have you got the thread size you need, as I think various are available?

D

Deleted member 195594

I don’t think they’re necessarily ’meant’ for floorstanders, though excessive bass or lumpy bass more likely to be found there.

Have you got the thread size you need, as I think various are available?

Yeah, I emailed Triangle to check the thread size on the stands, as it isn't stated anywhere. They came back quite quick and informed they're M8 threads, which I've seen are included in the packs of Gaia's

Reactions: nopiano and Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts