An interesting and opposing speaker choice to make.

RLCCM

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi so, after setting out a long time ago to build a Hi-Fi system to love and cherish (delayed by other stresses and financial constraints), I've finally decided to pull the trigger to finish it off - and buy myself some dedicated speakers!

I'm running an Icon Audio Stereo 60 valve amp/Audiolab 8200CD to listen predominantly to Jazz and Swing (real 1930's-60's mind) music (other music is a far lesser concern for my sound). The valves suit this taste perfectly, however i've been running a pair of slightly aggressive/uncontrolled for my room, KEF R300's borrowed from the home cinema set-up (which has never seen the benefit of these speakers plugged in!). The KEF's have had to do a reasonable stop-gap job for a long time now. The room is a relatively large living room with a lot of hard reflective surfaces, and despite slowly furnishing the place (one or two more bits to go in still, including a rug on the tiled floor), its a touch on the echoey side.

In all my various testing over the last couple of years I've come to realise that a clear trebble and cohesive, full and punchy midrange is the most important thing to me, bass doesn't need to be "fat" for modern pop/electronic music rather it needs to be controlled and detailed to pick out the wooden sound of the double bass playing it. Overall therefore I'm looking for a relatively laid back, clear and beautifully coherent speaker that doesn't tire the ears, but most of all, is really engaging to listen to.

I've tried lots: B&W CM8-9's are good but lack engagement, KEF floorstanders tend to be a bit woolly, Big Triangle Signatures were great but not so well balanced for Jazz, Martin Logans sounded highly detailed for classical but completely lacked the punchy mid-range and low crossover for a Big Band. Modern Tannoy's mostly were a bit too polite, Totem's had a horrible lower midrange/bass crossover right on the trombones range (and I am a trombonist!). Focal 700 and 800 series are too aggressive and tiring on the ears. Harbeth SHL5+ didnt exactly grab me to start with (I felt they lacked a touch in openness), and though they improved considerably over an hour, I left somewhat undecided about their apparent neutrality, and a very high price tag. You get the picture....

As such I've eventually come to two completely different and opposing speakers to pick from - from completely different shops and both with with clearance offers or deals offered to me.
1. B&W PM1 (including stands) CHF 2100 = £1400 (full UK RRP £2400 inc stands). I like the look of these neat modern little standmounters, they would fit in to the jazzy/modern part-approach of my living room, and be less imposing as furniture than full blown floorstanders. As for the sound - despite being quite low sensitivity speakers my 60W valves run them easily. They were wonderfully clear in the shop, with solo instruments and treble really standing out with the Valve amp (far better than with an electronic amp), truly feeling like you are close to the soloist (a live recording of Wynton Marsalis sounded gorgeous and brought a grin to my face). They are quite coherent and I hope laid back enough to suit the room and music quite well. If nitpicking, the bass is possibly its weakest point, its not quite as detailed or crisp as I would like, though really not bad, and very good for its size. Of course these are standmounters so I can't expect them to give the overall width of sound as good floorstanders, they are however remarkable for their size, and importantly, they fit well and comfortably in my head for cost.

2. Tannoy Prestige Stirling GR €3550 = £2600 (full UK RRP £4000). I havent actually heard these specifically, but they are nightmareishly difficult to find. I've only heard their little brother the "autograph mini" which were tiny, and so couldnt possibly suit my space. But the mini's delivery was such a joy. After ages listenning and comparing my KEF R300's to some modern tannoys, martin logans and a few other randoms, these tiny speakers literally had me grinning ear to ear and wanting to dance where all others had failed! I couldnt buy them though, they were much too small, but I am led to believe the Stirlings will have a similar style to the delivery, but also the full and open sound of a floorstander. If the stirlings are anything like the much smaller and cheaper mini's in delivery, I expect a wonderfully engaging experience, with that cohesive and punchy midrange for the big band. As for their styling, they are a bit marmite, I like vintage things usually, and they would fit in with the "vintage" items in my room and appartment (the valve amp, and pictures of old sailing ships etc) rather than the more modern but neutral and darker feeling furniture I have. In otherwords, quirky... but maybe will pass! Probably the B&W will win on the looks front in my current appartment. Budget-wise it feels a touch uncomfortable however, and I likely wont get to test these exact speakers first (if I'm lucky the shop may have the slightly bigger tannoy turnberry's to test).

Anyway, I thought I would share - can anyone add their tuppence worth? I believe the prices are truly very good on both, meaning for value I think they beat most. Will the Stirling likely give me much more over the PM1 to justify that extra cost however? Is the standmounted nature of the PM1 really a drawback in that price range? Is there any other speaker that has the right feel and would compete with these at these prices? (bearing in mind the discounts I'm receiving).

Many thanks indeed for reading (and hopefully replying)!

Reactions: roaduck

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Us to suggest alternative speakers or opinion between the 2 u mentioned?

Got no opinion on any of them but i would say have a listen to atc. I have recently having owned kef r700s for a while and i was very impressed.

RLCCM

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Hi, thanks for responding, specifically I'm looking at these two described, but happy to hear any other suggestions others might have.
As for KEF R700, I did hear them with an electronic amp that I dont think particularly suited them, and I didnt much like them then (no doubt with the valves they would be somwhat better). I felt they lacked openness honestly, and wasn't drawn to them. That said, the smaller R300 bookshelf I thought were great, particularly for modern music or in a cinema set-up: open, punchy and with huge bass for their size. That's why I bought them - for my cinema set-up. I didnt mean to run them for my very specific music system for a year and a half or more however!

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
RLCCM said:
Hi, thanks for responding, specifically I'm looking at these two described, but happy to hear any other suggestions others might have.As for KEF R700, I did hear them with an electronic amp that I dont think particularly suited them, and I didnt much like them then (no doubt with the valves they would be somwhat better). I felt they lacked openness honestly, and wasn't drawn to them. That said, the smaller R300 bookshelf I thought were great, particularly for modern music or in a cinema set-up: open, punchy and with huge bass for their size. That's why I bought them - for my cinema set-up. I didnt mean to run them for my very specific music system for a year and a half or more however!    

They are very good speakers with the right amps and sound good no great in mine but ive heard better as in Atc now and the bugs hit so just wanted tou to know about ATC monitors and towers. If im correct the mid range driver weighs 9kg

splasher

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
Would the DC 10Ts give a similar full bodied sound as the Stirlings but with a more contemporary look? They look very modern in black but quite stylish (imo) in walnut and can be found well discounted as they have been replaced by the Ti versions.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Did you try MA GX or PL

Not because I have them but because last few shows I have been to they have been demoing the GX playing jazz.

They obviously think they suit the genre

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
You have tried some well regarded speakers and found them wanting. You obviously have very critical and demanding standards (I don't mean that in a negative way). So I'd have thought asking other people for their opinions on your shortlisted speakers is the very last thing you should be doing.

Likewise, do not buy the Tannoy Stirlings without a proper audition. It would be most unwise.

Having said that, your experience isn't altogether surprising. You have a valve amp, and most of the speakers you've tried won't be sensitive enough to respond well. The Tannoys are a different proposition altogether: high sensitivity and ideal for valves.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
RLCCM, I agree with all of your criticisms of the speakers you've heard so far.

PM1's are more suited to jazz than other genre. As you say, the bass is the weakest area on them. So weak that I would never buy them for £1400 as I'd be sitting there pining for some speakers with a less obviously distorted bass.

Vintage / vintage style Tannoy dual concentrics are also more suited to jazz than any other genre. I'd take them over PM1's.

If you can, also check out a few horn speakers, as I find horns to be the best type of speaker for putting over the rasp of brass instruments.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Nice amplifier.

I'd look for a speaker with good acoustic damping.

The Icon is relatively powerful (for a valve amplifier) so I personally wouldn't shy away from sealed speakers. - Something from ATC, an 11 or 19 may do the job very nicely.

I used to run a 20w/ch valve amplifier with IB speakers without problems.

Then, when all is done, get yourself a lovely turntable. You must listen to a good pressing of Brubeck with the ueberworldy Jo Morello on drums.

Oooh, Icon Audio, ATC and a GyroDeck, AVID or Rega RP8 or 10 (or Garrard 401 in a lovely custom plinth) ... a feast for the eyes and probably ears!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Thank you for your insight....it's a pleasure to see someone who totally understands what they are looking for.

Other brands that spring to mind would be Harbeth, Audio Note, Opera and Diapason.

If you haven't tried the Kef LS50, it might be worth a shot. They are cleaner, tighter and more controlled than the R Series and might give you most of what the PM1s do for less than half the price. IMO. They really are that good.

Good luck with your search, which I'm sure will result in the outcome you are looking for.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Thank you for your insight....it's a pleasure to see someone who totally understands what they are looking for.

Other brands that spring to mind would be Harbeth, Audio Note, Opera and Diapason.

If you haven't tried the Kef LS50, it might be worth a shot. They are cleaner, tighter and more controlled than the R Series and might give you most of what the PM1s do for less than half the price. IMO. They really are that good.

Good luck with your search, which I'm sure will result in the outcome you are looking for.

To disagree with Cno - the LS50s are, in my opinion, very clever but totally contrived. If you listen to, for example, opera on them it sounds like the singers are in your bedroom not on a stage. Obviously I like the R series and the main reason is that they sound natural. They need room to breathe but Ah! I get Anna Netrebko on the stage in my lounge.

Chris

PS I like the OP's contract of "valve" and "electronic".
regular_smile.gif
The first thing I studied when I did my Electronics degree was valve technology.

RLCCM

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Firstly a big thank you to all posters!
To roundup and reply to a few all at once (feel guilty about giving just one response to everyone so far).
From a few posts it sounds like I need to give ATC a try, and possibly Monitor Audio - I have actually heard a pair of standmounters from ATC, but at the time I'd just spent an hour or more testing Triangle Signatures and was much to fatigued to give them a proper try or remember them.

The shopowner who sells the Stirlings suggested on the phone to try Tannoy DC8 - but I have two points to this. Firstly, I have tested some modern tannoys at another shop (where I saw the "autograph minis" after). They seemed very controlled and pleasant, but too polite for me. I couldnt love them. I also don't much like their look being somewhat bland. At least the Stirlings look interesting - I do like them I just have reservations how they will look in my room (it might actually be ok)! I also believe that with these Vintage styled Prestige series, Tannoy have made a speaker series that is more suited to the "vintage" and accoustic music sound, where the modern speakers are probably a bit more all-round.

LS50's were actually one of the first speakers I tested, at the same time as Focals/CM8's/R300's etc. I thought they were excellent in the midrange, but completely dropped off in the bass and treble (and hence sound somewhat pushed and "contrived" as above. Importantly, I don't believe they are big or broad enough in sound for my room. Pity as they look nice! The R300's give a much fuller and clearer overall sound, if a little uncontrolled in places when compared with an equivalent Tannoy bookshelf. And lets be clear, I am looking to "upgrade" from the long stopgap R300's, which I initially intended as beefcakes upfront for my home cinema (which has the R200? centre speaker to match)!

The Harbeth SHL5+ was a very good speaker dont get me wrong, but hugely expensive, and for that money (somewhere over £3000) I need perfection, these were too neutral for me. I tested them in London on a different valve amp (I think a quad) and the shop said that for Jazz these are the only Harbeths for me, the smaller ones wouldn't have the same effect as lacking the dedicated mid-range drivers. And so I didnt get to try the smaller Harbeths. This kind of money seems overly extravagant and lavish to me (particularly now where the coffers feel a little less full than before). The Stirlings at £2600 can be afforded but with some deep reservations. The £1200 jump from the highly agile PM1's (which I feel are good value despite their imperfect bass) is quite a gap. And agility is a good thing for Jazz music!

Otherwise for sensitivity, the joy of a 60W valve amp is that you don't need to be quite as picky as with a much smaller valve amp, so things like low sensitivity PM1's are still driven with purpose and finesse. That said, a better sensitivity as found in the Prestige series will suit. Volume however is not an important factor on any of these, I very rarely turn the dial way up and "rock out" - and pushing the Icon Audio dial to half way will make it... LOUD! (I usually listen at just a quarter to third on the KEF R300's).

Im 95% sure that it will be impossible to test the Stirlings before buying. They simply aren't stocked anywhere. If I'm lucky I might get a shot with the slightly larger Turnberry's and have to make a judgement call on the Stirlings.

I'm going to try and do some testing now, and will report back my findings (if any!)

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I heard the Stirlings, driven by a Synthesis valve amp, and the result was spellbinding. Especially for the music you mention, this is a superb combo (IMO).

I tried the PM1s too, though not with valves, and my analysis was very similar as yours: gorgeous for the size, but...

Having said that, I also strongly agree with lindsayt's suggestion to try horns. Good horns (think Avantgarde Acoustics) are very special, and indeed even more so with your musical taste. Drawbacks are obvious: they're big, and really expensive... (Unless you can spot a nice second hand pair).

Anyway, keep us posted on your progress. It makes for nice reading!

EDIT: where are you based (since you mention prices in EUR and CHF)?

RLCCM

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
DocG said:
I heard the Stirlings, driven by a Synthesis valve amp, and the result was spellbinding. Especially for the music you mention, this is a superb combo (IMO).

I tried the PM1s too, though not with valves, and my analysis was very similar as yours: gorgeous for the size, but...

Having said that, I also strongly agree with lindsayt's suggestion to try horns. Good horns (think Avantgarde Acoustics) are very special, and indeed even more so with your musical taste. Drawbacks are obvious: they're big, and really expensive... (Unless you can spot a nice second hand pair).

Anyway, keep us posted on your progress. It makes for nice reading!

EDIT: where are you based (since you mention prices in EUR and CHF)?

Firstly to hear that someone has actually heard the stirlings with a valve amp, is very good to know! Thank you for posting!

More on PM1's in the next post....

I've never heard/have no knowledge about horn speakers at all. If you say they are expensive however, then I will surely not be able to look at them, in that - at £2600 the Stirlings would already be pushing the boat out.

As for PMC and Pro-ac, I've certainly heard that PMC are meant to be very good, but have seen neither of these brands in any shop's in my region (or anywhere else I've tried so far).

Location-wsie, I'm about 20 mins out of Geneva, the PM1's are at a shop in Geneva, the Stirling deal woud be from the shop I bought my amp/cd player at, in Annecy in France!

Covenanter said:
CnoEvil said:

To disagree with Cno - the LS50s are, in my opinion, very clever but totally contrived. If you listen to, for example, opera on them it sounds like the singers are in your bedroom not on a stage. Obviously I like the R series and the main reason is that they sound natural. They need room to breathe but Ah! I get Anna Netrebko on the stage in my lounge.

Chris

PS I like the OP's contract of "valve" and "electronic". The first thing I studied when I did my Electronics degree was valve technology.

Perhaps "valve" and "solid-state"?

Anna Netrebko eh? Don't get me going.....

For what it's worth her CD 'Duets' with Rolando Villazon set a record for Best European Debut for a Classical recording and would certainly be a good way to test midrange performance of any speaker.

RLCCM

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
BIG UPDATE.
enhanced in capital letters for no reason but for effect. Like some speakers...

Right so i went for a longer demo today of the PM1, and compared them to several other speakers. First things first, this time I was somewhat more awake and critical, and the speakers didn't jump out at me like they did a few days ago. Clarity wasn't quite as good as I remembered, and the bass was in places a let-down, but I still like them for their ability to engage, and the tonal balance/mid-range cohesion and punch that suits the swing and jazz sound. But here's the full report and comparisons:

Firstly, I stuck them on against a pair of CM9's as probably the closest equivalent floorstander. The single PM1 driver is obviously better than any of the drivers in the CM9. The treble and solo's came out better and the cohesion of the midrange and punch during some Ellington big band blasting was simply more exciting from the PM1, the CM9 being good but a touch on the polite side for my taste here (a real big band blast should be anything but polite sounding). The CM9 however perhaps is better for overall balance - where a classical orchestra was playing, the added bass driver helped the full orchestral sound, the PM1 falling a touch flat in the cello's and basses. The PM1 bass, whilst being good for it's speaker size, is merely adequate compared to larger speakers. That said, I had expected a much broader soundstage and experience from the floorstander, and didn't get it. The PM1 stood up vey well against the floorstander for breadth and soundstage, only being beaten in the bass. The PM1 therefore won out for clarity, and feel.

Then was plugged in the Focal Aria 9 series floorstander at the suggestion of one of the assistants (926 or 936 i think). Big they were... but instantly fell flat on their face on the same Big Band recording compared to the PM1. It was all about overly bright treble and bass, and lacking midrange (despite being the "much less bright and aggressive new series"). Where the Focal's won was when putting on a Parov Stellar disc. Here they were great (obviously, being designed with the treble and bass clarity and size that this electro music depends on), so clearly Focals still suit modern/sythesized music. For Parov Stelar, the PM1 pretty much fell flat on its face, neither having the sharpness of bass or bright treble that electro-music wants. Victory No. 2 for the PM1, for Jazz anyway.

Next up, they plugged in some 805 Diamonds. Here I started with some JJ Johnson trombone quartet, to test the lower-mid's (it's a brilliant way infact to test mids and lower mids - JJ's broadway - not to mention a great album!). Firstly, this was the first time the PM1's really underwhelmed me, the trombones when playing in quartet just didnt have the tonal strength I was looking for, and lacked a bit of punch, no doubt just on that verge of bass level where the PM1 begins to struggle. JJ's solo on top still came out with gusto and realism however. The Diamonds won out on this track, it could handle the bass better, and so the trombone quartet backing JJ came with the strength and fullness I hoped for.
I asked the price... they were on clearance offer too! I said "great! How much are they?". It turned out they were nearly twice the cost including stands. Ouch.
So for good measure I stuck on the live and very intimate Wynton Marsalis recording made in a tiny new york theatre (live at the House of Tribes - thoroughly recommended) - that is gritty, and real. Now, the Diamonds beat the PM1's for clarity, and their bass is obviously better, more controlled, a touch larger and with better tone than of the PM1, much as with the JJ Johnson disc. BUT, the diamonds are more of an all-round speaker, with a more neutral balance across the board. On this occasion it suffered from just that. Where the PM1's gave a gritty and engaging performance, with great cohesion of the whole quintet, the Diamonds were again too polite, harking back to the CM9 in delivery, the instruments perhaps more easily picked apart from one another with polite clarity, but therefore sounding less real and less gritty. The PM1 here again excelled, the horns sung out as if I could feel them right infront of me, and in a small theatre where the whole driving rythm section tends to overpower each other in a wild, but brilliant crash of sound, so it did here. I was in that theatre, if only for a few moments. The Diamonds were clearer, better, balanced... but I wasnt in the theatre. And for this reason considering the dramatic cost difference, again a victory for the PM1, if a rather specific and somewhat marginal victory, which I'm not sure the assistant agreed with (but then, I'm the musician, and understand the music more than he does - thats for certain!). Certainly at any rate the Diamonds showed that the PM1's are good value.

This is where the assistants started joking that I need nothing short of KEF blades to be happy.

So pushing the Diamonds aside, I put in my faithful and trusted Benny Goodman CD. And asked them (for the fourth time) to plug in some KEF R300's as that's what I have currently (and bought from them a couple of years ago). Yet another very confused look, and the guy starts pulling out some Q900's... err no... R300... R... R... "oh Air300, ah, oui, pas probleme"
Given that the R300 is about half the price usually of the PM1, i thought they did pretty well. I like the balance of the R300, even though its not the best controlled, and can become tiring in my room at times. Yes the PM1 sounded a bit clearer and cleaner and have better overall control, but the tonal balance is not a hundred miles apart, the PM1 was better, but not by twice.

And therein lies the problem, the PM1 does have just a few too many faults and are quite music specific, for all that is absolutely great about them. Compared to the R300's i'm not convinced they are as big an upgrade as I was hoping for, yet still for this price tag they outperformed all else in that shop with my amp and my music. But I'm still unconvinced. I'm too much a perfectionist. Another issue that became more apparent as the testing went on is that with a very low sensitivity (84dB i believe) they do take quite a bit of extra driving and a touch of extra volume to get them really singing. My Amp can handle it, but it's not as ideal.

Did I buy them? No. I'm going to wait it out and try to hear some of the Prestige series somewhere (im travelling to New York next week so maybe I'll have a chance there), or some of the others suggested. If nothing else really appears , then I might pull the trigger on the PM1's, but not today.

Hope you enjoyed the read!

RLCCM said:
BIG UPDATE.enhanced in capital letters for no reason but for effect. Like some speakers...

Right so i went for a longer demo today of the PM1, and compared them to several other speakers. First things first, this time I was somewhat more awake and critical, and the speakers didn't jump out at me like they did a few days ago. Clarity wasn't quite as good as I remembered, and the bass was in places a let-down, but I still like them for their ability to engage, and the tonal balance/mid-range cohesion and punch that suits the swing and jazz sound. But here's the full report and comparisons:

Firstly, I stuck them on against a pair of CM9's as probably the closest equivalent floorstander. The single PM1 driver is obviously better than any of the drivers in the CM9. The treble and solo's came out better and the cohesion of the midrange and punch during some Ellington big band blasting was simply more exciting from the PM1, the CM9 being good but a touch on the polite side for my taste here (a real big band blast should be anything but polite sounding). The CM9 however perhaps is better for overall balance - where a classical orchestra was playing, the added bass driver helped the full orchestral sound, the PM1 falling a touch flat in the cello's and basses. The PM1 bass, whilst being good for it's speaker size, is merely adequate compared to larger speakers. That said, I had expected a much broader soundstage and experience from the floorstander, and didn't get it. The PM1 stood up vey well against the floorstander for breadth and soundstage, only being beaten in the bass. The PM1 therefore won out for clarity, and feel.

Then was plugged in the Focal Aria 9 series floorstander at the suggestion of one of the assistants (926 or 936 i think). Big they were... but instantly fell flat on their face on the same Big Band recording compared to the PM1. It was all about overly bright treble and bass, and lacking midrange (despite being the "much less bright and aggressive new series"). Where the Focal's won was when putting on a Parov Stellar disc. Here they were great (obviously, being designed with the treble and bass clarity and size that this electro music depends on), so clearly Focals still suit modern/sythesized music. For Parov Stelar, the PM1 pretty much fell flat on its face, neither having the sharpness of bass or bright treble that electro-music wants. Victory No. 2 for the PM1, for Jazz anyway.

Next up, they plugged in some 805 Diamonds. Here I started with some JJ Johnson trombone quartet, to test the lower-mid's (it's a brilliant way infact to test mids and lower mids - JJ's broadway - not to mention a great album!). Firstly, this was the first time the PM1's really underwhelmed me, the trombones when playing in quartet just didnt have the tonal strength I was looking for, and lacked a bit of punch, no doubt just on that verge of bass level where the PM1 begins to struggle. JJ's solo on top still came out with gusto and realism however. The Diamonds won out on this track, it could handle the bass better, and so the trombone quartet backing JJ came with the strength and fullness I hoped for.I asked the price... they were on clearance offer too! I said "great! How much are they?". It turned out they were nearly twice the cost including stands. Ouch.So for good measure I stuck on the live and very intimate Wynton Marsalis recording made in a tiny new york theatre (live at the House of Tribes - thoroughly recommended) - that is gritty, and real. Now, the Diamonds beat the PM1's for clarity, and their bass is obviously better, more controlled, a touch larger and with better tone than of the PM1, much as with the JJ Johnson disc. BUT, the diamonds are more of an all-round speaker, with a more neutral balance across the board. On this occasion it suffered from just that. Where the PM1's gave a gritty and engaging performance, with great cohesion of the whole quintet, the Diamonds were again too polite, harking back to the CM9 in delivery, the instruments perhaps more easily picked apart from one another with polite clarity, but therefore sounding less real and less gritty. The PM1 here again excelled, the horns sung out as if I could feel them right infront of me, and in a small theatre where the whole driving rythm section tends to overpower each other in a wild, but brilliant crash of sound, so it did here. I was in that theatre, if only for a few moments. The Diamonds were clearer, better, balanced... but I wasnt in the theatre. And for this reason considering the dramatic cost difference, again a victory for the PM1, if a rather specific and somewhat marginal victory, which I'm not sure the assistant agreed with (but then, I'm the musician, and understand the music more than he does - thats for certain!). Certainly at any rate the Diamonds showed that the PM1's are good value.

This is where the assistants started joking that I need nothing short of KEF blades to be happy.

So pushing the Diamonds aside, I put in my faithful and trusted Benny Goodman CD. And asked them (for the fourth time) to plug in some KEF R300's as that's what I have currently (and bought from them a couple of years ago). Yet another very confused look, and the guy starts pulling out some Q900's... err no... R300... R... R... "oh Air300, ah, oui, pas probleme"Given that the R300 is about half the price usually of the PM1, i thought they did pretty well. I like the balance of the R300, even though its not the best controlled, and can become tiring in my room at times. Yes the PM1 sounded a bit clearer and cleaner and have better overall control, but the tonal balance is not a hundred miles apart, the PM1 was better, but not by twice.

And therein lies the problem, the PM1 does have just a few too many faults and are quite music specific, for all that is absolutely great about them. Compared to the R300's i'm not convinced they are as big an upgrade as I was hoping for, yet still for this price tag they outperformed all else in that shop with my amp and my music. But I'm still unconvinced. I'm too much a perfectionist. Another issue that became more apparent as the testing went on is that with a very low sensitivity (84dB i believe) they do take quite a bit of extra driving and a touch of extra volume to get them really singing. My Amp can handle it, but it's not as ideal.

Did I buy them? No. I'm going to wait it out and try to hear some of the Prestige series somewhere (im travelling to New York next week so maybe I'll have a chance there), or some of the others suggested. If nothing else really appears , then I might pull the trigger on the PM1's, but not today.

Hope you enjoyed the read!

I did indeed. Pity you are not in the UK otherwise I might have suggested trying to track down some sealed-box EB Acoustics EB2's as I feel these might have offered you most of that you are looking for a a very cheap price.

RLCCM

Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
Well I originate from London and visit there quite regularly, so its not unheard of that I transport something over, I'm a known british bacon and sausages smuggler. though its a bit tougher with speakers!

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
When reading what you appreciate in speakers, I think you might like Russell K! I wrote about them here. Not much enthusiasm on the forum back then, but still...

I heard the Red 100 (driven by an Accuphase 600), and they caught my attention being very dynamic and open, with excellent transient response. Not everybody's cup of tea, but they could be just for you!

Can't say if they're available anywhere near you (distributor in Germany and France, not in Switzerland) but IMO they're very much worth the effort to track down a pair!

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Demo more speakers.
Don't go just by price.
You might find a speaker under £1000 that will be perfect.
Just keep demoing and try any and all speakers within your budget.
If you get a chance to demo the Tannoy Prestige range do so!
I like Tannoy and wanted to demo them but can no longer justify the cost and space needed.
Other makes suggested in other replies are worth trying.
You will know the right speaker when you hear it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts