Connecting Marantz PM6005 to SR7009 for 7.1.4 Atmos

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
Series1boy said:

have you run audessy setup with the power amp connected, sure this will sort this out for you?

No, Audyssey doesn't do it. I'm having to manually adjust the volume.

I thought the idea was you set the two channel amp to a reference volume, such as 12 o'clock, run the Audessy to set the correct levels and then leave the two channel amp volume control where it is, so you then don't need to touch the two-channel amp volume again.

CnoEvil said:
If the PM6005 doesn't have HT Bipass, there will be 2 volume controls in the mix.

Thanks! I thought the HT bypass is meant only if you want the stereo amplifier to bypass the AV receiver to drive 2 channels for stereo duties. Would the AV receiver control the volume as well?

The_Lhc said:
bigboss said:
Series1boy said:

have you run audessy setup with the power amp connected, sure this will sort this out for you?

I thought the idea was you set the two channel amp to a reference volume, such as 12 o'clock, run the Audessy to set the correct levels and then leave the two channel amp volume control where it is, so you then don't need to touch the two-channel amp volume again.

That's what I thought and did in the first instance. But the rear Atmos speakers were noticeably lower volume as compared to the fronts and Audyssey didn't correct that. 2 o' clock position levels the volume (obviously this is a separate volume control).

The rear Atmos speakers were quite loud when watching cricket, so I ran Audyssey earlier today. The stereo amp volume was at 4 o' clock position (think my son raided the cupboard at some point). It's back at 2 o' clock. I'll see how it works.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
CnoEvil said:
If the PM6005 doesn't have HT Bipass, there will be 2 volume controls in the mix.

Thanks! I thought the HT bypass is meant only if you want the stereo amplifier to bypass the AV receiver to drive 2 channels for stereo duties.

No, other way around, you connect the pre-outs of the AV receiver to the HT bypass because it bypasses the stereo amp's volume control (it's full volume in effect), so then only the AV receiver's volume control is active. It turns the stereo amp into a power amp in effect.

The_Lhc said:
bigboss said:
CnoEvil said:

Thanks! I thought the HT bypass is meant only if you want the stereo amplifier to bypass the AV receiver to drive 2 channels for stereo duties.

No, other way around, you connect the pre-outs of the AV receiver to the HT bypass because it bypasses the stereo amp's volume control (it's full volume in effect), so then only the AV receiver's volume control is active. It turns the stereo amp into a power amp in effect.

Ah. It's the PM8005 that has HT bypass but not 6005. Would that be the reason why?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
The_Lhc said:
bigboss said:
CnoEvil said:

Ah. It's the PM8005 that has HT bypass but not 6005. Would that be the reason why?

Sorry, would that be the reason why what?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
CnoEvil said:

Thanks! I thought the HT bypass is meant only if you want the stereo amplifier to bypass the AV receiver to drive 2 channels for stereo duties. Would the AV receiver control the volume as well?

It usually would, but I don't see why it wouldn't pass on whatever comes out of the pre-outs.

If the 6005 has no HT Bipass, then you need to pick a volume position on it (say 12 o'clock), and then match it by manually adjusting the other channel volumes on the AVR. Once this has been done, the AVR's volume should control it (just make sure the 6005's volume is set to 12 o'clock).

I think I'm right in this, but wouldn't bet my life on it.

CnoEvil said:
bigboss said:
CnoEvil said:

It usually would, but I don't see why it wouldn't pass on whatever comes out of the pre-outs.

If the 6005 has no HT Bipass, then you need to pick a volume position on it (say 12 o'clock), and then match it by manually adjusting the other channel volumes on the AVR. Once this has been done, the AVR's volume should control it (just make sure the 6005's volume is set to 12 o'clock).

Thanks! I'll try this tomorrow.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
bigboss said:
CnoEvil said:

i woul agree with this.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
CnoEvil said:

Just to revisit this point from the other direction, if you want to bypass the AV receiver for two channel sources you simply plug the stereo sources directly into the stereo amp, so the AV receiver has no part in the playback at all when listening to stereo (because you are physically bypassing it). Of course this assumes you're using the stereo amp to drive the front L+R channels. You aren't, you're using it for the rear Atmos channels (I think?), so you don't have that option, you're just using the AV receiver for listening to stereo.

The_Lhc said:
you're using it for the rear Atmos channels (I think?), so you don't have that option, you're just using the AV receiver for listening to stereo.

Yes that is correct.

Interestingly, I ran Audyssey again last night, with the stereo amp's volume knob at same 2 o'clock position. It seems that my AVR is now controlling the stereo amp's volume! *unknw*

I'll test again tonight.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Not to worry, bigboss, I won't charge you much for consultation fees in eight days' time!

I don't know if this helps, but I also run an 11- speaker system in my parlour, with my nine-channel Denon 4810 receiver supplemented by an old but good Sony stereo amplifier which drives the front wide speakers (in an 11.1 Audyssey system). I connect the Front Wide preouts of the Denon to one of the line-level inputs on the Sony. I set the volume control on the Sony to 12 o'clock. I then run the Audyssey set up routine, using the microphone that came with the Denon. After that, I don't have to adjust the volume on the Sony, and the output of the front wide speakers (and the other nine speakers!) is under the control of the master volume control on the Denon.

It helps that I have no offspring to fiddle with my controls! *smile*

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Series1boy said:

i knew this would work, worked on my x4100 as I have a Denon power amp with 4 upfiring onkyo speakers 5.1.4 and had to run audyssey again for it all to sync and work. I would suggest the Marantz and Denon setups are very similar ...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
The_Lhc said:
you're using it for the rear Atmos channels (I think?), so you don't have that option, you're just using the AV receiver for listening to stereo.

Yes that is correct.

Interestingly, I ran Audyssey again last night, with the stereo amp's volume knob at same 2 o'clock position. It seems that my AVR is now controlling the stereo amp's volume! *unknw*

well no, it isn't, the output from the av receiver's pre-outs varies with the volume control, the volume level on the stereo amp isn't changing, the input level to the amp is changing.

I meant the end effect of stereo amplifier's volume (as a listener) is changing with volume control of the AVR. Of course, the stereo amplifier's volume knob won't move!

Now, only if I could work out how to stop Marantz from creating a "pseudo Atmos sound" with even Dolby 5.1 TV programmes!!

Aug 19, 2015
Visit site
Hi Bigboss,

Just got the SR7009 myself with the 6005 on its way. Could you kindly advise how you connect the AVR to the Amplifier. I assume this is via your chosen channel to externally amplify on the preout section of the AVR?

Where does this then connect to on the PM6005 and do I need to wire anything further direct to this. Any help would be gratefully received *biggrin*

Thank you in advance

Adrian

Hi Adrian, simply follow the brilliant Marantz setup process. It's a step by step process which is easy to understand. Basically, 9 speakers are connected to the 7009 and 2 (either the fronts or rear Atmos speakers, I chose rear Atmos) to the 6005. The 6005 then connects to the corresponding dedicated pre-outs on 7009.

Hope this helps.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts