close to wall speakers

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I am looking for a speaker with front bassreflex ports or closed cabinets so I can place them close to the wall.

So far I have:

Kef XQ40

B&W 804s and 805s

Opera Seconda

PMC GB and FB 1

Do you have any other recommendations?

Happy new year!

Kind Regards Rob

A

Anonymous

Let me be the first to recommend ATC SCM 19 & 40 - sealed box designs. You might also wish to look at WB square ones.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The XQ40's work very well close to a wall because of their leaner tonal balance, and the ATC's being a sealed box design work extremely well. Spendor uses a rear firing slot port, and this tends to be better than the usual round ports when placed close to a wall, so do consider these as well. The Sonus Fabers and Wilson Benesch models, especially the smaller ones, should also be fine against a wall.

From your list, the B&W's will need a bit of space, as would the PMC's - they may be front ported, but because of their transmission line bass system they produce a huge amount of bass, and need a lot of room to get the best from them.

Is your wall a solid wall or a partition wall? Solid walls pose problems due to reflecting bass energy back into the room, but partition walls tend to absorb bass, which helps when placing a speaker nearby.

A

Anonymous

I use our Avi 9.1's only 6" from the wall,and they sound great!

poldo:

Hi,

I am looking for a speaker with front bassreflex ports or closed cabinets so I can place them close to the wall.

So far I have:

Kef XQ40

B&W 804s and 805s

Opera Seconda

PMC GB and FB 1

Do you have any other recommendations?

Happy new year!

Kind Regards Rob

Hi Rob

As crimsondonkey has aleady suggested i too will recommend ATC's SCM19 or SCM40 speakers. They are closed box designs however more importantly are flat and honest which greatly helps to them to be less critical about room positioning. They can be positioned close to walls (without the bass in particular getting itself into a twist).

Btw, what components will you be using?

Have a Happy New Year.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

T

the record spot

World Audio Design WD25EXT sealed cabinet floorstanders. Peter Comeau designed (now head of speaker development for IAG). The man's a genius. You can buy them built and assembled from WAD for about £1500, but their are optional build and finish extras that impact on the end cost.

The basic kit is £330 plus VAT by the bye.

http://wduk.worldomain.net/acatalog/SpkrKits.html

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts