tempted to buy kef 205 or 205/2, how does it pair up with M6 500i?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I recognise and agree with a lot of your description, but

- I don't think that the M6si is of sufficient quality for the Refs, which will only show up its weakness. The M6500 is much more powerful and cleaner sounding
- I find Chord amps sound too forward and analytical for my ears and IMO would be too much with the more forward sounding older Refs..and also for the very Neutral ATCs.
I can't comment on the B&Ws, as I'm not familiar enough with them.
- I think the Audiolab was out of its depth with this quality of speakers....I'm not surprised the ATCs sounded the way they did.
- IMO. In order to hear what these speakers can do, (if you can't hear them through your own amp), you should be using something from Devialet, Classe or Bryston. You also need a Source more in line with the cost of the speakers.

So to sum up my thoughts....I personally wouldn't judge any of these speakers based on the system they were in. I think the B&Ws came out on top, as they were comforting and familiar, especially with the Audiolab source.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

- I don't think that the M6si is of sufficient quality for the Refs, which will only show up its weakness. The M6500 is much more powerful and cleaner sounding
- I find Chord amps sound too forward and analytical for my ears and IMO would be too much with the more forward sounding older Refs..and also for the very Neutral ATCs.
I can't comment on the B&Ws, as I'm not familiar enough with them.
- I think the Audiolab was out of its depth with this quality of speakers....I'm not surprised the ATCs sounded the way they did.
- IMO. In order to hear what these speakers can do, (if you can't hear them through your own amp), you should be using something from Devialet, Classe or Bryston. You also need a Source more in line with the cost of the speakers.

So to sum up my thoughts....I personally wouldn't judge any of these speakers based on the system they were in. I think the B&Ws came out on top, as they were comforting and familiar, especially with the Audiolab source.

Was also thinking that when i read the atc part

apogee

Feb 22, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

- I don't think that the M6si is of sufficient quality for the Refs, which will only show up its weakness. The M6500 is much more powerful and cleaner sounding - I find Chord amps sound too forward and analytical for my ears and IMO would be too much with the more forward sounding older Refs..and also for the very Neutral ATCs. I can't comment on the B&Ws, as I'm not familiar enough with them. - I think the Audiolab was out of its depth with this quality of speakers....I'm not surprised the ATCs sounded the way they did. - IMO. In order to hear what these speakers can do, (if you can't hear them through your own amp), you should be using something from Devialet, Classe or Bryston. You also need a Source more in line with the cost of the speakers.

Yes the chord are truly analytical amp. I heard the new 803 with the classe and sourced by a vinyl (probably rega?) when tested by some one else that day, but that was not that much impressed..

I will see if there is anything I can do in the near future but really busy recently. Thanks for the suggestion again.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm a big fan of the Arcam A49 and Linn DS.

It is worth remembering that all these Reference speakers are the audio equivalent of a Ferrari....put in 2* petrol and the performance will suffer.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

It is worth remembering that all these Reference speakers are the audio equivalent of a Ferrari....put in 2* petrol and the performance will suffer.

Is not the mf amp 500w per channel though?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
CnoEvil said:

Is not the mf amp 500w per channel though?
Yes, but the OP has been demoing the speakers at F.Harvey and I believe this is an amp that they sell. If he ends up going back for another dem and doesn't lug his own amp there, it would make a good alternative.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts