Chord Chorus 2 Vs. Tellurium Q Ultra Black RCA cabel

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
[UNPUBLISHED - House Rules]
BigH said:
BigColz said:
Might get in trouble for this but i'm selling my TQ Blacks 2m terminated for £150 and my Chord Epics 3m (one end is bare wire) for £170 if anyones interested contact me on gocolesygo@hotmail.com (Just saving people from e(vil)Bay)

Look overpriced I can get them new for just over £100.

2 x 2 metres terminated. 2 metres per speaker. Will sell for £150 inc delivery. Ive not seen them for under £200. The epics cost over £300 new so I don't think either is overpriced. Thanks

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Oh boy, TQ-Blue, TQ-Black, I did a direct comparison at home last year. I seem to remember the price per meter was around £30, £50, repectivly. I still run the same 8x2m of system cable now as then, Linn K20 at £5 per meter. Q-Blue was terible and I mean terible!!! Q-Black was excelent, a tad better than my K20, but only a 'tad'.

I wonder how things would be now since I have changed to a full valve amplification system, fancy stylus and MC cartridge, rather than the hybrid amp and average mm cartridge I was then using? . . . it would have to be bl**dy good to justify 16 meters of over priced hifi copper cable? :wall:

CJSF

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
I can sort of understand entry-level cable being more benevolent or less revealing of systems not demonstrating a certain equilibrium, but usually the further you go up the ladder the more temperamental cables are then that's when one has to choose or be more choosey of cables. Probably haven't conveyed that very well... you know what I mean... I hope. :)

I think I know what you are getting at; and I find it hard to explain myself. When I say an expensive cable is sweeter, it doesn't mean it sounds like a cheap cable and is hiding a lot of detail..........in the same way as you can have 2 expensive amps, that are both very good, but sound very different.

Get that...

That's where my Leema falls down at the mo. I would describe it as a 'Warts and all' presentation, and on compressed remastered recordings it can sound a little sterile. But when it is a good recording it sounds ruddy marvellous. Based on that premise the blacks would not make my short-list of new cables.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Get that...

That's where my Leema falls down at the mo. I would describe it as a 'Warts and all' presentation, and on compressed remastered recordings it can sound a little sterile. But when it is a good recording it sounds ruddy marvellous. Based on that premise the blacks would not make my short-list of new cables.

In theory I would agree.....but as you know, hifi can sometimes be as unpredictable as taste.

I also rate Atlas and Vertere (D-Fi range).

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
CJSF said:
Oh boy, TQ-Blue, TQ-Black, I did a direct comparison at home last year. I seem to remember the price per meter was around £30, £50, repectivly. I still run the same 8x2m of system cable now as then, Linn K20 at £5 per meter. Q-Blue was terible and I mean terible!!! Q-Black was excelent, a tad better than my K20, but only a 'tad'.

I wonder how things would be now since I have changed to a full valve amplification system, fancy stylus and MC cartridge, rather than the hybrid amp and average mm cartridge I was then using? . . . it would have to be bl**dy good to justify 16 meters of over priced hifi copper cable? :wall:

CJSF

Did you burn the cables in for at least 70 hours?

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
Get that...

In theory I would agree.....but as you know, hifi can sometimes be as unpredictable as taste.

I also rate Atlas and Vertere (D-Fi range).

That's true - nothing is 'nailed on'. But those RS's tweeters does make one feel nervous, given how "system sensitive" they can be. They can sound fantastic but they are, with the Leema, on the sonic cusp. There's no margin for error.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

They were the local hifi shops hand out, home audition sets, I have no idea how many hours they had but one presumes they were conditioned . . . ? I even tried the directionality of the cables, a factor that many dont accept . . .

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
CJSF said:
BigH said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

They were the local hifi shops hand out, home audition sets, I have no idea how many hours they had but one presumes they were conditioned . . . ? I even tried the directionality of the cables, a factor that many dont accept . . .

Just a point of slight correction?? TQ-Blue is £16:50 per meter not £30.

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
The best way to define the Q black is realistic cabels , they will not add any color or softness to the music , they wil not hide or exaggerate anything .

If you just want to listen to the music as it is than it is an excellent cable but if your hi fi system and/or your music sources are not good enough than it will be abovius immediately .

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
BronC said:
CJSF said:
BigH said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

Just a point of slight correction?? TQ-Blue is £16:50 per meter not £30.

I stand corrected Bron-C . . . however, I wouId have not have given 'sixteen pence' for them in my system!

CJSF

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
The best way to define the Q black is realistic cabels , they will not add any color or softness to the music , they wil not hide or exaggerate anything .

If you just want to listen to the music as it is than it is an excellent cable but if your hi fi system and/or your music sources are not good enough than it will be abovius immediately .

I'm frequently intrigued by this sort of description for low or mid range cables. If a cable at £50 p/m, or whatever it is, adds nothing, takes nothing away and simply lets the music through (etc), what is to be gained from spending on higher end cables? I say that having read WHF and indeed someone like Cnoevil accepting the 'the best cable is no cable' principle.

Not just a question for ISAC69 btw, and I suspect it may be rhetorical.

A

Anonymous

[UNPUBLISHED - banned user]
BenLaw said:
ISAC69 said:

I'm frequently intrigued by this sort of description for low or mid range cables. If a cable at £50 p/m, or whatever it is, adds nothing, takes nothing away and simply lets the music through (etc), what is to be gained from spending on higher end cables? I say that having read WHF and indeed someone like Cnoevil accepting the 'the best cable is no cable' principle.

That's a very good question.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
[UNPUBLISHED - response to banned user]
Hookyspud said:
BenLaw said:
ISAC69 said:

You'll probably like these questions as well then: http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/tellurium-q-blackany-thoughts?page=4

which I now reaslise are rather similar.

A

Anonymous

[UNPUBLISHED - banned user]Yes I do like them, I'm looking forward to some answers :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
[UNPUBLISHED - response to unpublished post]
BigColz said:
Might get in trouble for this but i'm selling my TQ Blacks 2m terminated for £150 and my Chord Epics 3m (one end is bare wire) for £170 if anyones interested contact me on gocolesygo@hotmail.com (Just saving people from e(vil)Bay)

Why are you selling them, thought you were happy with them?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
antskip said:
CnoEvil said:
..........The Green are more forgiving.

The cheaper TQ Blues are said to be more tolerant as well, so from Blacks you can go up to Green or down to Blues. I imagine if your system or recordings have no weak points, Blacks also will truthfully reflect that - indeed, they will be brilliant! But the Greens give such a beautiful sound with everything - old system, new; old recordings, new.

So they should, at £149 per metre, it would cost me £1,490 for 2x5m runs, that is more than my system cost. You could buy some good gear for that.

A

Anonymous

BenLaw said:
ISAC69 said:

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
Renman911 said:
BenLaw said:
ISAC69 said:

To find cabels that simply lets the music through is not easy and thus they are expensive the Tellurium Q black is only an entry level for high end .

Cheap cabels do have a negative efect on the sound .

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
ISAC69 said:
To find cabels that simply lets the music through is not easy and thus they are expensive the Tellurium Q black is only an entry level for high end .

What are you going to buy next?

TrevC

ISAC69 said:
Renman911 said:
BenLaw said:
ISAC69 said:

Whether they are cheap or not is irrelevant. They need to be low resistance, and that means thick if you have a long run. There are a number of sellers selling inexpensive thick (4mm or so) multistrand cables on Ebay. My advice would be to buy something like that.

TrevC

BigH said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

Cables don't need to be burned in. It's a myth.

TrevC

BigH said:
antskip said:
CnoEvil said:
..........The Green are more forgiving.

The cheaper TQ Blues are said to be more tolerant as well, so from Blacks you can go up to Green or down to Blues. I imagine if your system or recordings have no weak points, Blacks also will truthfully reflect that - indeed, they will be brilliant! But the Greens give such a beautiful sound with everything - old system, new; old recordings, new.

So they should, at £149 per metre, it would cost me £1,490 for 2x5m runs, that is more than my system cost. You could buy some good gear for that.

That much? I guess there's one born every minute.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Presumably people spending several hundred quid on speaker cable have a near perfect system that measures within 3db across the whole frequency range.

Would be interested to see how those people have their listening space set up to achieve this :)

ISAC69

Mar 13, 2012
Visit site
I am now testing the Tellurium Q Ultra Black RCA cabel for the weekend , entirely diferrent cabel than my Chord Chorus2 , My suspicion that the Chord is too bright was correct the TQ has more natural sound less "analitical" than the Chord and is more coherent and transparent , more details and the bass is more punchy .

After a short time burn-in suddenly my speakers "disappeared" and sound stage became spacious and 3 dim.

An excellent cabel a very good match with my TQ black speaker cabels .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts