CD input for amplifier keeps burning out

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have had several different amplifiers over the years (Audio Innovations, Arcam, NAD) with different CD players, and I have a weird problem. After a while, I find I can no longer get sound from the CD player using the dedicated CD input. I connect the CD to a spare input (say aux) and the problem is fixed. Then one day, no sound again. This problem does not affect the tuner, cassette deck (when I had one) or minidisc recorder.

I currently have a NAD C352 and I am going to have to buy another amp as the last free input gave up the ghost yesterday. I have gone through 3 inputs (CD, AUX AND VIDEO) and have no more spare not in use. I am using this amp with a power surge protector. The problem has occurred at different houses, so it can't be a power surge problem specific to this property. What is annoying is that I have not been using my hi-fi that much over the last year.

I can see nothing on this subject by searching on-line. Can anyone help? I don't want to buy an new expensive amp until I know the cause.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Ok the CDPs were all different and so too were the amps.

The mains won't be anything to do with it.

The only possibility left (apart from an extended run of really bad luck) is the interconnects, but even then - if there were anything wrong with them - the problem would more likely be an absence of signal rather than enough to 'burn out' a channel.

Have you ever experienced static sparks when you touch the amp or CD or other metal surfaces? Maybe you have been - unknowingly - 'zapping' the inputs on the amp when you have connected them? (Again a bit unlikely with the regularity you describe but then this whole problem is bizarre!)

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
It's the NAD. You're not the only one having problems with a NAD amplifier. It seems that many people on several forums have been having problems with their NAD.

A

Anonymous

I'd be taking a good look at the CD player as well as the amp. If something's burning out the amp inputs it could be source-related, no?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Darren Heal:I'd be taking a good look at the CD player as well as the amp. If something's burning out the amp inputs it could be source-related, no?

The OP said he had this problem with different CD players and with different amps....

"I have had several different amplifiers over the years (Audio
Innovations, Arcam, NAD) with different CD players"

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
In that case there must be something that the OP is doing. I could understand this happening on older amplifiers that didn't have dedicated CD inputs, but with modern amps which have these inputs geared up for the higher output of CD players, I don't understand what can be going wrong. Most CD players don't output much more than 2 volts, some possibly up to 2.2. I know at one point Marantz players used to be the highest, outputting about 2.25 volts, which made them sound a little more impressive than most, but this should be easily dealt with by dedicated CD inputs on any amplifier.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the input, but it is still a mystery. I always turn off the amplifier before unplugging off at the mains, as the manual says that to do otherwise can damage the equipment. My CD player is a Myryad.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts