Recording onto Minidisc

slunky

Jul 19, 2020
Visit site
I recently purchased the Marantz cd60. Happy with the quality of the player but i've come across a problem which i cannot solve. I love recording onto minidisc i've always loved the format.
I have 3 minidisc decks and have had no problems with them, the problem is when recording from the marantz, instead of a cd copying as individual tracks it's copying the cd as 1 track, so instead of being 12 tracks there's only 1.
I have all the decks set up correctly and have not had this problem when using previous cd players.
Any ideas as to what the problem might be?
Cheers everyone.

Hugh Jarse

Jan 22, 2022
Visit site
Any ideas as to what the problem might be?
Assuming that you're connecting CD to MD by the same (digital) method in all cases, then yes, an idea of what's not happening - but no real idea how you might make it happen.

When sync record works normally, your other CD players send track increment info (probably pulses) as well as disc start and end signals.
Whereas the CD60, for whatever reason, is not giving the track increment info.

You need to discover why. Maybe ask Marantz why the difference.

First though I would try different (including shorter) digital interconnection cables.
However, the fact that the CD60 gives start / end info, suggests there's nothing wrong with your current connection method 🤔

Hope you get a resolution of some sort.

D

Deleted member 201267

Can i ask what Minidisc decks do you own ?

I owned both the Sony 930 Minidisc deck, and, the matching 930 CD player, which prevented copying digitally from the CD player to the Minidisc deck via the supplied optical cable.

Making analogue copies via the supplied RCA cable however was possible.

Sony prevented such digital copying - Maybe your new Marantz CD player has something similar built in that your other CD players did not ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Hugh Jarse

Jan 22, 2022
Visit site
I owned both the Sony 930 Minidisc deck, and, the matching 930 CD player, which prevented copying digitally from the CD player to the Minidisc deck via the supplied optical cable.
So they didn't even allow you one digital copy? That was a bit rough - and surprising, since MD was a compressed format (although certainly didn't sound compromised on the MD930 I know).

Philips CD recorder allowed one bit for bit digital recording, at the same time marking the copied disc for no subsequent digital copies (from that disc).

@slunky seems able to make digital copies, without track increments.
But I suspect you're on the right lines with copy protection being the possible reason - specifically with the CD60 🤔

D

Deleted member 201267

So they didn't even allow you one digital copy? That was a bit rough - and surprising, since MD was a compressed format (although certainly didn't sound compromised on the MD930 I know).

Philips CD recorder allowed one bit for bit digital recording, at the same time marking the copied disc for no subsequent digital copies (from that disc).

@slunky seems able to make digital copies, without track increments.
But I suspect you're on the right lines with copy protection being the possible reason - specifically with the CD60 🤔
I owned the units back in 1999 so i may be mistaken but there was a section in the instruction manual explaining this.

As for the MD 930 vs CD 930 play back i actually found the MD deck to sound (slightly) better than the CD player !

The MD 930 sounded fuller / richer compared to the CD 930 that was a bit thin sounding when both playing into the matching Sony 930 Amp.

Reactions: Hugh Jarse

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts