Problem with Yamaha AS-1000, why does it change inputs on its own?

Historical-Drag

Mar 4, 2024
Visit site
Hi people! Over a year ago I posted a question on reddit regarding my Yamaha AS-1000 amp and its problem, but so far we never figured out a solution (although more people showed up with the same problem). Thing is, input section changes on its own from time to time. Let's say it's on CD then all of a sudden it switches to Main direct, or Line 1, Line 2, CD etc...

It usually happenes after some 30 minutes of listening to music, but sometimes it doesn't. It's kinda random. VIDEO

I tried cleaning it, using deoxit too. Nothing helped :(
Any ideas?

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I have the same intermittent problem with my AS-2000.

At first I thought it was my matching CD-S2000 player skipping , but then noticed the same problem
with the selector.

I'm wondering if it might be the small PCB on the back of the front facia breaking down ?

Looking like a visit to the repair shop.

Unless anyone may have a insight ?

Reactions: Historical-Drag

Historical-Drag

Mar 4, 2024
Visit site
I have the same intermittent problem with my AS-2000.

At first I thought it was my matching CD-S2000 player skipping , but then noticed the same problem
with the selector.

I'm wondering if it might be the small PCB on the back of the front facia breaking down ?

Looking like a visit to the repair shop.

Unless anyone may have a insight ?
Hi! Did you have a chance too see my reddit thread and discussion over there? Apparently there's been quite a few people with similar problems "AS" Yamahas. If we could only pinpoint the problem that would be great, but I have no clue where to even start. Cleaning it thoughtly did not help so that points to electronics, I guess.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
Have you tried a factory re set?
1. Turn the "BALANCE" knob clockwise fully and then while pressing down the "AUDIO MUTE" switch, set the "POWER ON/OFF" switch to the ON position.
2. The INPUT selector LED "CD" will light up and the normal operation will be restored.
3. Set the POWER ON/OFF switch to the OFF position to end.

Have you tried a factory re set?
1. Turn the "BALANCE" knob clockwise fully and then while pressing down the "AUDIO MUTE" switch, set the "POWER ON/OFF" switch to the ON position.
2. The INPUT selector LED "CD" will light up and the normal operation will be restored.
3. Set the POWER ON/OFF switch to the OFF position to end.
I scratch my head in wonder that any modern amp would need a "factory reset'. :)

TrevC

If it doesn't ever happen when there are no lights on in the room it could be related to that. I had a TV that switched channels occasionally whenever a CFL light was switched on.

Historical-Drag

Mar 4, 2024
Visit site
If it doesn't ever happen when there are no lights on in the room it could be related to that. I had a TV that switched channels occasionally whenever a CFL light was switched on.
Nope. It happens in all situations. Also, this is the second home I have it in. I did also tried taping over the IR signal spot, didn't help.

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
This is an issue that many folks have had with the Yamaha AS-1000.
If a reset does not work then it's most likely an oxidization issue with the switch contacts.
Deoxit is a very powerful cleaner but is not recommended for this type of issue. It actually promotes future oxidization.
Hopefully, you masked off the rest of the amp. when you applied it. If not, over-spray on other components and the PCB's can wreak havoc down the road.
I would suggest finding a good tech.

Messiah

Hi. Never asked them. It was a second hand unit :(
Regardless of whether it is new or second hand, I would certainly ask the people that make it.

Very good chance that by now they would have an idea on the cause of the issue and hopefully a solution.

A few years back I had a faulty, 2nd hand, Cyrus AV8. It had a known issue. Managed to get a local dealer (Audio T) to send it to Cyrus. They fixed it for free and even shrink wrapped the box when it was returned so it felt like a new unit.

(Actually typed this a couple of days ago but it never posted. D'oh!)

My2Cents

Nov 10, 2023
Visit site
So I heard, but never actually found a single person that succefully resolved this... that is kinda scary :O
I know of one person where a factory re-set did fix the problem... have you at least tried it?
Where are you located? If in the USA you can call Yamaha directly in LA, they are quick to get a hold of and are very helpful.

Historical-Drag

Mar 4, 2024
Visit site
I know of one person where a factory re-set did fix the problem... have you at least tried it?
Where are you located? If in the USA you can call Yamaha directly in LA, they are quick to get a hold of and are very helpful.
Hi! Yes, I did try it yesterday. It has not been "jumping" since, but, it tends to be ok for days and then goes "crazy" again :) So, I'll keep whatching and if it starts behaving badly again I'll report it. I'll also report back if keeps on working good for let's say a month because in that case the "reset" would indeed be the solution! :D

Reactions: Messiah
Hi! Yes, I did try it yesterday. It has not been "jumping" since, but, it tends to be ok for days and then goes "crazy" again :) So, I'll keep whatching and if it starts behaving badly again I'll report it. I'll also report back if keeps on working good for let's say a month because in that case the "reset" would indeed be the solution! :D
Fingers crossed! 🙂

Reactions: Historical-Drag

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Hello I've tried the reset option as well, still seems a little skittish on moving the selector .
We shall see... ?

Historical-Drag

Mar 4, 2024
Visit site
Hello again guys. It's been around 20 days since I did the "reset option" and I can repor that the results are very good, almost great! Not once did it "jump" selection when I use remote to change input. If I turn the knob manually it behaves a bit worse, sometimes jumping to anothe input, but not much. It "calms down" very fast. All in all, the reset option indeed helps a ton!

Reactions: Al ears and Messiah

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts