Is power amp knackered?

Everton1878

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Hi all.

Just after some advice. Have got the audiolab 8200P power amp. Started to play a CD last night and noticed there was some distortion coming out of the left speaker (right speaker was fine) swapped the speaker cables Round at the back of the amp and the distortion started coming from the right speaker and the left speaker was fine.

Is this an issue with the power amp and what could it be?

Cheers Brian.

Everton1878

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Swap the inputs on the power amp* Brian.
If the distortion still switches sides, your problem is not the power amp, but something before it.

*Not while it's on 👍

Tried doing that mate. Tried different leads, different speaker cables. The speaker that was sounding distorted I plugged it into the connectors on the left hand side of the power amp and it was fine and then plugged it back into the right hand side connectors and it came out distorted again. Did the same with the other speaker, plugged into the left side connectors it was fine, plugged it into the right hand side that then came out distorted. So speakers good, speaker cable good, only happens when plugged into the connectors on the right. Cheers anyway mate.

Gray

Well you've swapped input and output channels and cables as well as the speakers - so you've confirmed a right channel problem with the power amp.

As I always say to those in your position, you've got nothing to lose by having a visual inspection within - you might see something obvious with a component or on the solder side of the PCB.

When it comes to fault finding one faulty channel on a stereo amp, there's always the real advantage of the working channel - giving correct voltage readings and aiding signal tracing / injecting on the faulty side.

If you (or someone you know) don't want to get involved, see if you can get a free estimate before any chargeable repair.

Everton1878

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
Well you've swapped input and output channels and cables as well as the speakers - so you've confirmed a right channel problem with the power amp.

As I always say to those in your position, you've got nothing to lose by having a visual inspection within - you might see something obvious with a component or on the solder side of the PCB.

When it comes to fault finding one faulty channel on a stereo amp, there's always the real advantage of the working channel - giving correct voltage readings and aiding signal tracing / injecting on the faulty side.

If you (or someone you know) don't want to get involved, see if you can get a free estimate before any chargeable repair.
Cheers Gray. Might have a little gander inside myself., as you say nothing to lose by doing it.

Reactions: Gray

Everton1878

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
I wouldn't worry about that Brian, chances are you'd still be in the same position.

(User name suggests you could be in the Merseyside area - so probably not an option getting it to me in Essex for a look).
I live in Shrewsbury now Gray, you’re still about 4 hours from me, thanks for the offer though mate.

Reactions: Gray

TRENDING THREADS