Can I still use my analogue amp and speakers?

RegaPlanet

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
I love my Rega/NAD/Ruark HiFi sound, and have always used the amp & speakers to add some weight to my TV sound when watching films.

But my lovely new TV lacks analogue sound outputs, so despite a big upgrade in picture quality, my movie sound is going backwards! Longer term, I think something like the Philips 9100 soundbar will work for me, but with babies supposed to be sleeping somewhere upstairs (and spending all my money), I'm holding off investing in the full kit.

So until then, what's the cheapest way to get the TV sound to my speakers, exploiting but not disrupting my HiFi?

If it involves buying a DAC, is there anything I should consider that will be the start of my future home cinema sound system?

Instead of focussing on a future upgrade to a sound bar, should I instead retire my veteran NAD314 and replace with a receiver?

Many thanks for your advice!

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
1. Does it involve buying a DAC? Yes of sorts (see below)

2. Is there anything you need to consider that'll form the start of a home cinema system? Yes. You really need to decide whether ultimately you want a separate stereo music system to some sort of AV system, or do you want one system that'll do the lot? The reason for this is that most AV receivers have the necessary inputs (HDMI and/or optical inputs) with their own built-in DAC anyway. So if you were going to have a fairly decent AV receiver doing everything ultimately, then in the short term it would be a bit of a waste of money getting a separate DAC that you won't need later on.

3. As for soundbars and receivers (this is only my opinion and others will disagree...) if you've heard a half-decent surround system, then a soundbar simply won't do. Only the very best soundbars can hope to compete, but the very best soundbars are also pretty pricey for what they are.

I had a similar stereo-only set-up to you some years ago (Cambridge Azur / Ruark Epilogue 2's), so can appreciate why you like your system so much. The Ruarks are so detailed and clear they make excellent TV speakers, providing you have a stereo source of course.

i'll share my experience with you if it helps any. i initially thought that I'd keep my 2.0 & 5.1 systems separate because I didn't want to compromise on stereo sound quality (which seemed to be the received wisdom at the time from forumites & dealers). So I kept my Ruarks on stands either side of the TV but also purchased a Monitor Audio Radius One soundbar which sat in front of the TV and the Pioneer receiver, sub & rear speakers.

The reason for this was primarily to have better control over the centre (largely dialogue-heavy) channel when playing DVD's and blurays, which was lacking in my stereo system. However, to my taste, I found that the Pioneer receiver/MA radius package was far better at music than I anticipated and had the extra benefits of internet radio, Airplay (which is how I use Spotify) and the ability to play music Blurays in surround-sound formats. So in the end I decided (somewhat mournfully) to say adios to the Ruarks AND the Radius One soundbar and buy the Radius 270HD floorstanders for the main left & right channels.

I'm extremely happy with the end result and I think I have a system that's a jolly good all-rounder for the money.

However visually, the 5.1 system does have more of an impact in the room than my former stereo system. It's not exactly discreet. And some forumites have tried AV receivers and have found their sound unacceptable. I'd recommend going to a dealer and listening to a decent AV receiver and surround sound set-up and listening for yourself, particularly whether you're happy in its ability to play 2-channel sources.

just one extra tip though...do ask the dealer to use the AV receiver's Extended Stereo setting (non-Pioneer brands may call this something else). This plays 2.0 channel sources through all 5.1 speakers, and in most cases sounds awesome on my system. I do alter the balance slightly in favour of the front speakers, which IMO is critical in making this sound natural. I absolutely love this way of listening to music & would really miss this if I limited myself to a stereo-only set-up.

Sorry if this comment is too geek-like & overwhelming, but you seem to be making decisions I was mulling over myself a few years ago. There are plenty of other threads on this site where many would advocate the exact opposite of what I chose, so demo demo demo & decide which path you want to go down.

RegaPlanet

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks very much, that's super-helpful. Your system sounds great, and I'd prefer to have one system for all if I can find a sound I'm happy with.

I'll definitely go for some demos, but you've given me some idea of where to start. I think the decider will be when the NAD314 croaks. The volume control started to crackle, came back to life with a can of contact cleaner, not sure how long that will last though.

If a receiver can get me going with music streaming as well then that might swing it. I was thinking that my TV would be the source for streamed content, controlled from my phone (Android) or iPad. I haven't really got into that yet, I've been resistant to the idea that I have to pay someone to access my music, but I realise that's a bit old-school, and I get more choice in return!

Am I missing the point or does that do what Airplay does? My thinking is that I find a decent stream into the TV via WiFi, then optical out to a receiver.

Will try a demo of 5.1 music too, though my PS3 as a Bluray might not cut it as the fan is pretty loud.

You've been really helpful, thanks again.

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hello!

RegaPlanet said:
I love my Rega/NAD/Ruark HiFi sound, and have always used the amp & speakers to add some weight to my TV sound when watching films.

But my lovely new TV lacks analogue sound outputs, so despite a big upgrade in picture quality, my movie sound is going backwards! Longer term, I think something like the Philips 9100 soundbar will work for me, but with babies supposed to be sleeping somewhere upstairs (and spending all my money), I'm holding off investing in the full kit.

So until then, what's the cheapest way to get the TV sound to my speakers, exploiting but not disrupting my HiFi?

If it involves buying a DAC, is there anything I should consider that will be the start of my future home cinema sound system?

Instead of focussing on a future upgrade to a sound bar, should I instead retire my veteran NAD314 and replace with a receiver?

Many thanks for your advice!

The Samsung website is awful, however according to John Lewis

http://www.johnlewis.com/samsung-ue46f6740-led-hd-1080p-3d-smart-tv-46-with-freeview-freesat-hd-and-voice-control-with-2x-3d-glasses/p437672

your set's supposed to have a headphones socket - does it? If so, there's your most straightforward solution!

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
RegaPlanet said:
Thanks very much, that's super-helpful. Your system sounds great, and I'd prefer to have one system for all if I can find a sound I'm happy with.

I'll definitely go for some demos, but you've given me some idea of where to start. I think the decider will be when the NAD314 croaks. The volume control started to crackle, came back to life with a can of contact cleaner, not sure how long that will last though.

If a receiver can get me going with music streaming as well then that might swing it. I was thinking that my TV would be the source for streamed content, controlled from my phone (Android) or iPad. I haven't really got into that yet, I've been resistant to the idea that I have to pay someone to access my music, but I realise that's a bit old-school, and I get more choice in return!

Am I missing the point or does that do what Airplay does? My thinking is that I find a decent stream into the TV via WiFi, then optical out to a receiver.

Will try a demo of 5.1 music too, though my PS3 as a Bluray might not cut it as the fan is pretty loud.

You've been really helpful, thanks again.

Airplay enables me to use my ipad as a source for Spotify which streams wirelessly using my network to the receiver. The Android equivalent is to use Bluetooth, which doesn't use your home network, but is a point-to-point method of wireless streaming.

As I own a plasma (and therefore paranoid about screen burn!), I didn't want the TV on just to listen to music, so Airplay allows me to stream Spotify without the TV on. My receiver is a couple of years old now though. The current equivalents include something called Spotify Connect, which stream Spotify from the network to the receiver (via LAN cable), purely using the ipad (or Android now too) as a controller rather than a source. It saves the battery of the ipad and could be slightly more stable (?). I get very few dropouts (maybe once every couple of weeks - and I do listen daily); but much of the system's stability depends on the network more than the receiver itself.

RegaPlanet

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks, actually I had tried that, but thought you might all laugh at me! Headphone socket works up to a point, but the output is very weak, so I probably need a headphone preamp, plus it mutes the TV speakers so they can't be used as a poor-man's mid speaker.

I also tried using my Sky HD box output, which would cover much of my film watching, but the TV digital processing puts a big lag on the picture.

So I guess one solution is to cancel Sky, and put the money saved towards a receiver!

RegaPlanet

Mar 30, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Leeps, I'll look out for Spotify Connect on the features list when I'm receiver shopping. Youtube seems to have something like that - so the app on my S4 can control the widget on the TV. Can't tell if the video stream is coming in via the phone, or directly to the TV with the phone as a remote browser.

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
At present, Spotify Connect is available on Pioneer & Yamaha AV receivers. There have been rumours of it eventually being added to some stereo Yamaha products (R-N500 network stereo receiver) in addition to Naim streamers, but some of these rumours last for years, so I wouldn't purchase a product on the strength of them. There is always the trusty and popular (stereo) Marantz MCR610, although technically it's plain Spotify rather than the Connect flavour.

Generally Spotify itself & many stereo hifi manufacturers are really missing a trick here by failing to promote it more widely and installing it on stereo products instead of solely AV receivers. Spotify is a stereo source after all and the fact that it's so popular with Joe Public, installing it more widely and promoting it in the Sunday papers they could help hifi become more mainstream. Marketing! Hrmph.

It'll certainly be a major consideration for me in any future upgrade.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts