Cambridge Azur 640a V2 - a good upgrade?

Cass

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
I currently have a Cambridge A5 partnered with a Marantz CD6002 and Mordaunt Short MS902i speakers. I've never been totally happy with the sound and suspect the A5 is the weak link. I see that Richer Sounds have the Azur 640a V2 amp available for £150 to "VIP" customers, which looks pretty good value. Any views on whether this would be a worthwhile upgrade from the A5?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Definitely; without a doubt!

What kind of music do you listen to?

A quality 2nd hand NAD C320BEE via Ebay would also be a good purchase. Superb amp with a solid, quality sound and was well reviewed in its days and is still hard to beat IMO re budget amps.

A

Anonymous

I would advise a Technics amp the sonic difference would be minimal. make sure you get a decent quality interconnect

matthewpiano

jmarshall1987:I would advise a Technics amp the sonic difference would be minimal. make sure you get a decent quality interconnect

You seem to have a fascination with recommending Technics. Pity they don't actually make seperates any longer. Many of the later Technics amps you can pick up 2nd hand are prone to failure through dry solder as well.

I am confident that the Cambridge will comfortably and easily out-perform any Technics amp.

A

Anonymous

One of my friends had a Cambridge Azur 640a V2 hi-fi setup and it keeps turning itself off every so often.

I just think Technics are quite a reliable system. and would recomend to anyone

A

Anonymous

Cass, what about changing your speakers to something else like Diamond 9.1's and maybe try a Nad amp like an old C320BEE or newer C315BEE.

A

Anonymous

I would tend to stay away from Wharfedale as the bass is a little lean on these speakers.

I would go for B & W speakers instead

A

Anonymous

IMO for this money I would suggest a Marantz pm-6002 a good match for your speakers.

Cambridge amplifiers sound a bit bright with mordaunt short speakers. Also nad amplifiers would match with mordaunt's.

Cass

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. As regards music, I'm a rock/indie guitar man - I usually like it fairly loud, which I haven't found the A5 to be particularly good at, even though I believe the 902i is a high-sensitivity speaker. I wasn't really thinking in terms of changing the speakers as I thought the 902i was one of the better budget ones?

I'll take a look at the other amp options suggested before deciding. I guess the Marantz PM6002 should also come into consideration, particularly since I have the matching CD player.

Edit - just seen dio66's post mentioning the PM6002!

Cass

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
jmarshall1987:Marantz have a very laid back sound

Hmmm...that's worth noting, as I like a bright sound. Maybe the CD6002/PM6002 wouldn't be the best combo for me.

matthewpiano

If you like a brighter sound, the 640a V2 you originally suggested could just hit the spot, although it would be very analytical sounding with your CD player and speakers.

The NAD suggestions are well worth a look. The C320BEE or C325BEE is a cracking budget amp, although the sound is a bit warmer than Cambridge with a slightly softer bass.

A

Anonymous

I have heard the NAD C320BEE and it is not much different than my Technics setup.

I would suggest Rotel

Cass

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Hmmm. Just rang Richers to enquire about stock, and it seems the £150 offer is for refurbished amps only - it's £200 for a new one. I'm not one for refurbished or used stuff, so I'd be looking at the higher price. And at that price it opens up the possibility of the Rotel RA-04, which can be had for £240. I've a bit of a hankering for Rotel as my first ever amp was an RA-820, which I loved. Bit more thought required...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts