Cambridge Audio CXA60 or CXR120

Timo

May 6, 2016
Visit site
We like watching operas on Blue-ray, and listen to a lot of classical music. So I thought an AV receiver might be an interesting option when up-grading our hifi system. But I understand that, in terms of sound, AV receivers cannot normally compete with stereo amplifiers -- unless one digs deep into his pockets. This makes sense, but how deep do you need to dig to get an AV receiver that can produce stereo sound that can compete with a decent stereo amplifier? For instance, in terms of stereo sound, are Cambridge Audio's CXR120 and CXA60 comparable?

Cheers!!

TomSawyer

Apr 17, 2016
Visit site
My view, which tends to be the opposite of a lot of people on here, is that if I had to choose between a 5.1 setup or a stereo setup, I'd choose 5.1. I'm fortunate to be able have both so I've never had to make the choice, and it wasn't always thus. But the stereo performance of my most recent AVR is very good through a pair of floorstanders and I think the loss of performance, when compared to my stereo, is far less than the equivalent loss would be if I was to watch films through the stereo amp.

I haven't auditioned the Cambridge AVR, so I can't say exactly how it would compare. The promotional blurb makes maximum of being designed for music and using their hifi know-how, which is a good sign. Given that the two are from the same retailer, a simple comparison should be easy to arrange. The AVR comes with the CXN functionality of uPNP/DLNA, Spotify Connect and internet radio with app control already built in so apart from a blu-ray player, it could also be the only source you need.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
It's a fair question, and I would suspect down to personal taste. You might be able to persuade a friendly manager to let you take them home for evaluation, but that might require "buying" one or both!

obviously you could demo in store much more easily, but this is an issue to decide for yourself IMHO

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts