Technics or Cambridge Audio

MaiqGomes

Aug 1, 2020
Visit site
Hi everyone!

Been looking for quite a while for a sound system for my 4 year old to be properly raised (musically) and came up with two choices that I can finally afford.
I already have an "audio-technica ATLP120X USB" turntable and I'm between these two to set up a system that can have a decent sound:
1. cambridge audio amplifier topaz SR10 and S30 speakers;
2. technics set:
compact disc player SL-PG490
stereo cassette deck RS-TR373M2
AV control receiver stereo receiver SA-AX540
SB-CS65 speakers.

I guess both of them can be connected to the AT LP120. What would be your choice? The cambridge audio set is almost double the price of the technics. What would you go for???

Gray

You're not really comparing like with like there are you?
It depends whether you want a CD player and cassette deck in addition to a receiver and speakers.
What Hi-fi reviewed the Topaz SR10 back in May 2010 when it sold for £230.
On the same page there's a link to today's price from a seller on Amazon. He wants (and I kid you not) £1,200 + £131 Delivery.
So, depending on your actual price, you might have found yourself a bargain with the CA pair.

Your AT turntable has a built-in phono preamp so it can connect to any line input. You might however, prefer using the phono preamp of, say, that Cambridge receiver (you would be in a position to judge which sounds best).

Regardless of the Amazon seller's fictional value, I still reckon the CA pair would be your best option (unless you really want CD / cassette to give your 4 year old a history lesson).

Last edited:

MaiqGomes

Aug 1, 2020
Visit site
Thanks for the quick feedback Gray.

I wasn't looking for a cassette deck, it's just that the seller has it all together, but could use a cd player so that would be a plus over the CA pair.
Anyway I guess I'll probably go for the CA.
I'm really hyped about it, it has been years since I've had a record playing in a sound system.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Thanks for the quick feedback Gray.

I wasn't looking for a cassette deck, it's just that the seller has it all together, but could use a cd player so that would be a plus over the CA pair.
Anyway I guess I'll probably go for the CA.
I'm really hyped about it, it has been years since I've had a record playing in a sound system.
....and it's great that in the year 2021, a 4 year old gets a turntable 👍

MaiqGomes

Aug 1, 2020
Visit site
Ended up buying the "technics", so I could add a second hand audio-technica at-lp120x, and when I went to put everything together one of the speakers is broke and I'm guessing they won't be worth repairing.

What are your recommendations for a set of speakers for this system? The room where it is set is quite large, can you advise some models that could do the job?

This is the thing when you try to budget and haven't got that much knowledge on these things, I'm afraid that in the end the cheap comes out expensive. But I just want the damn record to be playing now...

All the best.

D

Deleted member 160668

What's your budget for the speakers and how big is the room?

Gray

I'd have to go overbudget, but would the "Dali Spektor 2" be a good choice?
Might be OK if you sit fairly close to the speakers in your big room - maybe not so good if you want loads of volume.
No doubt you saw the WHF review?
What's 'broke' about the speakers you've got? (wonder if they're beyond help).

Last edited:
Reactions: MaiqGomes

MaiqGomes

Aug 1, 2020
Visit site
Yes, I did read the WFH review and it sounded convincing.

The speakers that came along the set, one has absolutely no sound coming out of it and the other also seems to have some issues.
It's not easy around where I live to find a place that can check them and I'm guessing it won't be worth it.

Stu 299

Jan 23, 2021
Visit site
If it's the Technics speakers you're wondering about fixing then my advice is don't bother. I had the same or very similar in the 90's and they were not great. I think good new speakers will make a tremendous difference.

Reactions: Gray and MaiqGomes

MaiqGomes

Aug 1, 2020
Visit site
It's such a huge frustration, after years of wanting a record player, a hifi system, to get everything set up, cleaning up the dust out of the record boxes, and then the damn speakers don't work... :mad:

Gray

It's such a huge frustration, after years of wanting a record player, a hifi system, to get everything set up, cleaning up the dust out of the record boxes, and then the damn speakers don't work... :mad:
Yes, I too think something like the Dali's will easily outperform Technics speakers.
Could be an easily rectifiable problem though- or worse- the reason the last owner got rid of them.
Headphones for now maybe?

MaiqGomes

Aug 1, 2020
Visit site
Headphones for now maybe?

For now it will have to do. Can't wait any longer to set the audio-technica and drop the needle on the old records.

One last question:
- second hand "B&W 603 s3"? are these any good?
- super cheap, super basic, but I believe super unknown also, brasilian made "Lando La 380 DRD";
- or getting new, between "Dali Spektor2"or "QAcoustics 3020i" ????

Gray

For now it will have to do. Can't wait any longer to set the audio-technica and drop the needle on the old records.

One last question:
- second hand "B&W 603 s3"? are these any good?
- super cheap, super basic, but I believe super unknown also, brasilian made "Lando La 380 DRD";
- or getting new, between "Dali Spektor2"or "QAcoustics 3020i" ????
Sorry, can't help. My previous speakers were B&W, but I haven't heard any of those models.
The only thing I can be sure of is that there will be significant differences between them - and you're likely to have a clear preference......I hope you choose the right pair.

DCarmi

Hi everyone!

Been looking for quite a while for a sound system for my 4 year old to be properly raised (musically) and came up with two choices that I can finally afford.
A 4 year old with vinyl! That isn't going to go well. Once left an LP on a turntable and found a 5 year old merrily gouging the record with the arm. She liked the variable pitched grating sound it made. I had to replace both the disk and needle.

I've also had plastic coins in the CD Player and a toy soldiers inside a VCR. I can also say from experience that CDs are not indestructible.

MaiqGomes

Aug 1, 2020
Visit site
A 4 year old with vinyl! That isn't going to go well. Once left an LP on a turntable and found a 5 year old merrily gouging the record with the arm. She liked the variable pitched grating sound it made. I had to replace both the disk and needle.

That is one of my biggest fears and also one of the reasons I wanted to go for a budget system. I know I'll have to keep him under tight surveillance every time he gets near the turntable :cautious:

I'm sorry folks to be bothering again, but can't make up my mind.
I have viewed dozens of "youtube" videos of recommendations, read hundreds of reviews and I'm completely lost and, now that I know I'm spending more than I expected, I don't want to screw this up.

So, to connect my technics stereo receiver SA-AX540, what should I go for? What would you advise for a beginner regarding their performance/ value for money?
- dali spektor 2 (259€)
- wharfedale diamond 220 (249€)
- polk audio S10E (199€)
- q acoustics 3020i (299€)
- elac debut B5.2 (298€)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts