• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Technics or Cambridge Audio

MaiqGomes

Aug 1, 2020
Hi everyone!

Been looking for quite a while for a sound system for my 4 year old to be properly raised (musically) and came up with two choices that I can finally afford.
I already have an "audio-technica ATLP120X USB" turntable and I'm between these two to set up a system that can have a decent sound:
1. cambridge audio amplifier topaz SR10 and S30 speakers;
2. technics set:
compact disc player SL-PG490
stereo cassette deck RS-TR373M2
AV control receiver stereo receiver SA-AX540
SB-CS65 speakers.

I guess both of them can be connected to the AT LP120. What would be your choice? The cambridge audio set is almost double the price of the technics. What would you go for???

Gray

Nov 27, 2015
You're not really comparing like with like there are you?
It depends whether you want a CD player and cassette deck in addition to a receiver and speakers.
What Hi-fi reviewed the Topaz SR10 back in May 2010 when it sold for £230.
On the same page there's a link to today's price from a seller on Amazon. He wants (and I kid you not) £1,200 + £131 Delivery.
So, depending on your actual price, you might have found yourself a bargain with the CA pair.

Your AT turntable has a built-in phono preamp so it can connect to any line input. You might however, prefer using the phono preamp of, say, that Cambridge receiver (you would be in a position to judge which sounds best).

Regardless of the Amazon seller's fictional value, I still reckon the CA pair would be your best option (unless you really want CD / cassette to give your 4 year old a history lesson).

Last edited:

MaiqGomes

Aug 1, 2020
Thanks for the quick feedback Gray.

I wasn't looking for a cassette deck, it's just that the seller has it all together, but could use a cd player so that would be a plus over the CA pair.
Anyway I guess I'll probably go for the CA.
I'm really hyped about it, it has been years since I've had a record playing in a sound system.

Reactions: Gray

Gray

Nov 27, 2015
Thanks for the quick feedback Gray.

I wasn't looking for a cassette deck, it's just that the seller has it all together, but could use a cd player so that would be a plus over the CA pair.
Anyway I guess I'll probably go for the CA.
I'm really hyped about it, it has been years since I've had a record playing in a sound system.
....and it's great that in the year 2021, a 4 year old gets a turntable 👍

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts