CA 740C vs CA 840C

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is there noticable difference between these 2? Is it worth to pay 250 extra? I'm upgrading from 640 C V2. Second question is it worth to buy 840C if I have only 740 A amp??? My speakers are dali 6's floorstanders.

A

Anonymous

Thank You:) Is there anyone who heard both and can compare? How about second question?:) I bought 740A amp however I have chance to exchange it (the same price) for 840A BUT version 1. Should I go for it?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
With all due respect, you have to listen to the things yourself. As the rankings within the range shows, the 840 is, technically, the superior amplifier. Whether you prefer it is an entirely different question and only you can answer that one.

If it helps, I had the 840C at the same time as a DacMagic. The former was clearly better in every respect though whether the additional expense is justified largely depends on the rest of your system and your own preferences. Personally, I would have put the difference towards better amplification or speakers and perhaps then I would consider the better player as the next upgrade.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
matthewpiano:If its the Cambridge sound you like, I'd opt for the 840A V1 with the 840C. You will then have the option of using balanced connections which aren't available on the 740 series.

This combo would also blow away the 740s. Seriously, the 840 series is on another level from the rest of the CA range. The original 840 has only received one average review (from this mag). It won awards around the world until the V2 came out and then that has done the same. Along with balanced inputs, you get solid 15kg well made machine which has fixed level inputs, ridiculous power and superb sound. Demo it against the 740 and your mind would be made up in 30 minutes.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts