Blood Sugar Sex Magik on vinyl - better SQ than CD??

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Does the vinyl version of Blood Sugar Sex Magik have decent SQ compared to the 'orrible-sounding CD, which sounds compressed to **** and as if they're playing in a floor-to-ceiling tiled bathroom? Ta [:)]

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
It's not actually as badly recorded as some people think. Rick Rubin knows what he's doing, and I think he purposely made the album sound the way it did. It was recorded in an empty, disused Hollywood mansion, which gives it that echoey 'bathroom' sound. Personally, I think it's the best thing they've ever done, and even though it's not 'hi-fi', I could listen to it all day long. Nice and raw
emotion-1.gif

I have the CD and the vinyl version (used and new), but haven't been able to try the vinyl out yet. Even if it's not compressed, it'll still sound better than the CD
emotion-1.gif

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I actually use it as a test disc - after all, most hi-fi's sound good with perfectly recorded music, but the real test of a system is what it can do when things are less than perfect.

A

Anonymous

I own none of their albums on vinyl, but this one is an all analogue record so has good potential for being better on vinyl - I have read positive reviews on-line before for this LP. Not sure what the options are regarding masters/pressings. Not too many out there I would guess. Personally I'd try and get an early original pressing just in case there do turn out to be some questionable recent digital transfers out there.

Don't waste your money on Californication or By the Way on vinyl. They supposedly sound just as bad as the CDs. Stadium Arcadium on the other hand is a guaranteed recipe for audio heaven - mastered by Steve Hoffman and Kevin Gray and pressed at Record Technology, Inc. - Mmmmm. I'd pick it up myself if it wasn't for the fact I'm really only a very occasional casual fan of the Chilli Peppers.

Now.

Horrible CD? Compressed? What CD of this are you listening to? Sure you've not mistakenly typed the wrong album title - do you mean one of their later albums (I get names/titles confused myself)? I thought there were only two masters of this one: the original; and a recent Japan only remix. As rock CDs go the original master of this is a pretty decent example of how to master a CD - 1991 - just before things went downhill with compression and 'smiley faced' equalisation. I haven't heard the Japanese one - is this what you have?

Thought I'd put it on as haven't listened to this in years (catalogue: 7599-26681-2).

Dynamics - check.

Drums and cymbals sound like, well. drums and cymbals - check.

All in all a none too shabby master.

Fast forward nine years to Californication - urghh, now this does sound truly horrible.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts