Blade Runner I just DONT get it!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

theflyingwasp

I bet your nieces loved it but I bet u chose the film ,toy story or way out west gee let me think!

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Nah that's total balls mrreaper just because it's classic dosent mean its good.you ask the average young person if they have seen ANY of the films you mentioned and you would get a blank stare back .im not saying the films are no good far from it,I'm just as happy watching the treasure of Sierra Madre or bad day at black rock etc as I am watching Home Alone .

ask the average person you know when was the last time they Lawrence of Arabia ( some complete English w##k crossing the desert) of Ben hur or sat through Fantasia without a child being present.

I will try putting this in a simple way that your brain can understand. Will people be watching the film Back to the future in 100 years time? Probably not. Will that make it a bad film, hell no and anyone who says that it is 100 years from now just because it is old is so very wrong.

It sounds to me like you do know your history if you think Lawrence of Arabia is just some some complete English w##k crossing the desert which is just sad. Also if watching Fantasia without children around makes me different from the "normal" (what is normal anyway?) so be it. Being normal is much to overrated anyway.

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
Cinema and movies in their very nature will cause endless debates and cries of "classic" or "utter rubbish" at every turn as they are often a subjective and highly personal medium, one mans gold is anothers pile of rubbish.

So many factors determine wether we like or indeed hate a movie and even such seemingly silly reasons as even if you were in a good mood or not at the time can have a major effect on how you come away from a movie and long may it continue as it promotes conversations such as these but to just dismiss a film because you "don't get it" is something you are entitled to do theflyingwasp. For you, for whatever reason Blade Runner simply doesn't work for you and that's an opinion you are perfectly entitled to and echoed by my more than just the few on here I'm sure. These reactions and the debates fuelled by them are the reason I love cinema so much because it is such a personal experience.

Personally I like Blade Runner an awful lot simply because of the questions it poses and the effortless way in which thoses social comments are woven into a memorable world and a vision of the future well ahead of it's time but would I say it's an enjoyable movie? That's more difficult to answer as at times in it's very nature it is a very cold view of the world and the fact that most of the main characters in the film are artificial makes the acting seem wooden when I beleive it's mostly intentional in order to blur the lines of humanity and artificial further. I have a lot of love for Blad Runner and it's a movie that doesn't need the rumoured sequel now on the cards from Ridley Scott but there are many points in the film where it's very hard to enjoy it but then that's kind of the point, it's dealing with issues that are very difficult without resorting to violence and gun fights just for the sake of it which is the usual Hollywood production these days.

I'm a total sucker for Star Wars though and even I accept that they aren't the greatest movies in the world on many levels but as a kid they were amazing and the greatest spectacle I had ever seen and in a lot of ways that remains the case, nostalgia in this case is the over riding factor and I'm fully aware of it but the fact remains that ever since I saw Star Wars I have never come out of the cinema with the same feeling of awe so that's bound to cloud my judgement.

Each to their own I say :)

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
theflyingwasp said:
Nah that's total balls mrreaper just because it's classic dosent mean its good.you ask the average young person if they have seen ANY of the films you mentioned and you would get a blank stare back .im not saying the films are no good far from it,I'm just as happy watching the treasure of Sierra Madre or bad day at black rock etc as I am watching Home Alone .

ask the average person you know when was the last time they Lawrence of Arabia ( some complete English w##k crossing the desert) of Ben hur or sat through Fantasia without a child being present.

I will try putting this in a simple way that your brain can understand. Will people be watching the film Back to the future in 100 years time? Probably not. Will that make it a bad film, hell no and anyone who says that it is 100 years from now just because it is old is so very wrong.

Oh man, any film but that one! Back to the Future IS a classic, no question!

Fantasia was on BBC2 a few months ago, I watched it all the way through, beautiful.

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Charlie Chaplin - christ! For film enthusiasts only.id love to know how many people under 30 own a bloody Charlie Chaplin film or for that matter Harold Lloyd or laurel and hardy.

Outdated bollocks - a man falling over , a pie to the face .complete shi##

That's the sort of stupid comment I expect from someone who called the British war hero T.E. Lawrence (he fought for your freedoms) an English w**k.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
theflyingwasp said:
Charlie Chaplin - christ! For film enthusiasts only.id love to know how many people under 30 own a bloody Charlie Chaplin film or for that matter Harold Lloyd or laurel and hardy.

That's the sort of stupid comment I expect from someone who called the British war hero T.E. Lawrence (he fought for your freedoms) an English w**k.

Yeah, he was more of an arse apparently (seriously, from what I've read he could be rather "difficult").

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
MrReaper182 said:
theflyingwasp said:

Yeah, he was more of an arse apparently (seriously, from what I've read he could be rather "difficult").

Nuts, the swear-filter here really spoils the enjoyment sometimes... I said ar*e btw...

T

theflyingwasp

Film buffs love most films but the general population don't give a hoot that's why a film like back to the future will out last a Casablanca or seven samurai ,we all know someone who won't watch a film because it's subtitled or watch a film because it's in black and white.

Dont get me started on war all the clowns who fought in ww1 will be turning in their graves because we all know if it wasn't for the Americans in ww2 we would all be writing this in German.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Dont get me started on war all the clowns who fought in ww1 will be turning in their graves ...

Please tell me if I mis-understood what you just wrote or missed something.

It's just that - for a moment - it looked like you referred to all the combatants and victims of World War I as 'clowns'.

Even the most pacifist of folks I have ever known have always shown respect for those who died in action. (Whatever they thought of the politicians and the events that landed the troops in it.)

Hopefully I read you in error.

T

theflyingwasp

Hey chebby

I have little or no respect for the armed forces never have never will,I have my reasons mainly from friends who have left and the stories they tell.as my friend we shall call mr smith once said after too many wild turkeys.

"half the armed forces have an I.q of 10 and the other half are there because they can't get a job to support their family in their own effing country"

saddest thing i ever heard :boohoo: bearing in mind this man did 2 6 month tours in Iraq and never even fired his weapon.spent a year of their lives sitting in a tent watching pirate DVDs from street vendors.

marou

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
You don't have to get it, just accept that it's probably a classic. Some films/books/music you like, some you don't, but that there are some whose greatness is not based on your view or mine but on a body of critical opinion - you can debate it but you won't change it.

T

theflyingwasp

Yes true but I still feel the old black & whites will disappear first .how many people will never see the wages of fear of the magnificent ambersons etc

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Hey chebby

I have little or no respect for the armed forces never have never will,I have my reasons mainly from friends who have left and the stories they tell.as my friend we shall call mr smith once said after too many wild turkeys.

"half the armed forces have an I.q of 10 and the other half are there because they can't get a job to support their family in their own effing country"

saddest thing i ever heard :boohoo: bearing in mind this man did 2 6 month tours in Iraq and never even fired his weapon.spent a year of their lives sitting in a tent watching pirate DVDs from street vendors.

Leaving aside your friend's anecdotes and opinions about a 21st century conflict, I asked about your 'clowns' reference to those who fought in World War I ...

theflyingwasp said:
Dont get me started on war all the clowns who fought in ww1 will be turning in their graves ...

... that was over 5 million men from the UK alone (of which up to a million died and another 1.6 million were wounded).

About half of those men were conscripted.

I don't get 'clowns' from this (knowing what we do about the tragedy of World War I). Quite possibly some of the Generals and other top-brass who were still planning for a 19th century land war and who refused to see reason despite enormous and wasteful loss of lives. But not the people on the front line.

Are you extending your "no respect for the armed forces" to the ordinary WW1 volunteer and conscript from every community in this country (and many others besides) ?

They weren't kicking back and watching movies in the trenches across Europe. Probably too busy trying to keep vermin under control, avoid disease and stay warm in a nightmarish warren of filthy trenches whilst waiting to be mined, shot, shelled or gassed.

T

theflyingwasp

My comment is ment for every person who signed up.those forced to go back then is a bit different.if there had been tv back then tho with daily reports from the Somme I think many would have chosen to go to jail than fight.

as I would now - risk MY life for Great Britain! What exactly is great about it?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

theflyingwasp said:

I understand, though not necessarily share your views on the current armed forces, and once upon a time, when I was stupid and misinformed I may have agreed with your views on the men that fought in the 2 world wars.

Now though, I realize how ridiculously stupid I was to ever have that opinion. The people that fought in the WW1 and WW2 are my heroes, and they should be all of our heroes. Their bravery was immeasurable, and I genuinely think you should read a little about what those poor bas*ards went through, and once you've learned of their sacrifice, then maybe you'd have the good grace to apologize to those you have offended.

T

theflyingwasp

Hey BBB

i don't really care mate I'm a nihilist ,it's hard to covey humour and sarcasm on a forum ,no doubt chebby will come back with more facts and figures or a mission soap box statement .herores Christ c'mon " 3 weeks training ,here's a gun ,run that way ,shoot the guys in grey,try not to die" if we can get back to the original point please

blade runner etc

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Bladerunner is a fine movie. I like it.

But my favourite Ridley Scott film is Hannibal. A very, very underrated movie. But I quess I'm the only one who has that opinion ;)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
... no doubt chebby will come back with more facts and figures or a mission soap box statement .herores Christ c'mon " 3 weeks training ,here's a gun ,run that way ,shoot the guys in grey,try not to die" if we can get back to the original point please

No need. You've explained youself very clearly. I've learnt something and will remember it.

T

theflyingwasp

No not all ,Hannibal isn't my favourite Ridley Scott film but it's still a damn good film ....why oh why did Jodie foster say no.

you know what I'm gonna watch Hannibal right now!

have you been watching the tv series?

TRENDING THREADS