Blade Runner I just DONT get it!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Marsbardark

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Marsbardark said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
Marsbardark said:
Cook.off! Star Wars is great

You're wrong, but I will accept that I'm in the minority with my opinion.

Empire=good, Hope=just about watchable, Jedi=sh*t, and let's not even go there with the others. :p

You're wrong :)

No! You're wrong. :p

Return of the jedi = ****, wrong, wrong, wrong :)

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BenLaw said:
None of them are objectively any good. The only reason people like them is nostalgia. I like (almost) all the Star Trek films but (with the possible exception of number 10) I wouldn't say they're any good, I like them for the same reason people like Star Wars, nostalgia.

Nostagia can really improve the quality of a film, but I didn't like Star Wars when I was young, and I still don't.

I bought the original trilogy on blu ray, and I thought with great SQ and PQ the films would be great, but they really weren't. So disappointing.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Marsbardark said:
Return of the jedi = ****, wrong, wrong, wrong :)

If you're not careful, I'm going to have to travel up the M1 to Leicester, and give you a good hiding. :grin:

Marsbardark

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BenLaw said:
None of them are objectively any good. The only reason people like them is nostalgia. I like (almost) all the Star Trek films but (with the possible exception of number 10) I wouldn't say they're any good, I like them for the same reason people like Star Wars, nostalgia.

Nostagia can really improve the quality of a film, but I didn't like Star Wars when I was young, and I still don't.

I bought the original trilogy on blu ray, and I thought with great SQ and PQ the films would be great, but they really weren't. So disappointing.

Why buy films you don't like?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Marsbardark said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BenLaw said:

Why buy films you don't like?

I thought with great PQ and SQ I'd be proven wrong, and the films would be the classics they were regarded as. They weren't.

T

theflyingwasp

Are you not part of the whist hifi film club BBB? You haven't seen gladiator? Saying that I saw Casablanca for the first time last year and I really really didn't get it. :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BenLaw said:

Exactly, if you don't have the nostalgia you can see them for what they really are.

Superman anyone? There's another rubbish franchise.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Are you not part of the whist hifi film club BBB? You haven't seen gladiator? Saying that I saw Casablanca for the first time last year and I really really didn't get it. :)

Bit too Oscar-bait for the film club.

You should 'get' Casablanca, watch it again, now!

T

theflyingwasp

Films like Casablanca will die with our mums and dads.the majority of the old classics are to be admired rather than enjoyed.do a poll of the best 100 films of all time in 30 years all the oldies will be nowhere to be seen.sad but true.

I love the movies but citizen Kane best film of all time! Yeah ok!

its a twilight generation how many young teen girls would entertain gone with the wind for 3 hours I don't think so.

the dialogue in older films is laughable with women characters portrayed as weak clinging to their men for dear life , no swearing or the cartoon violence we are used to nowadays.

take a film like guess who's coming to dinner it's just laughable nowadays ,important at the time but now it's just daft.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Whatever anyone thinks of Blade Runner (and I'll admit it leaves me a little cold), it's stylistically exceptional, and was highly influential, as a revisionist (or "tech") noir, and on an emerging wave of cyberpunk fiction. We have to give the filmmakers credit in this regard.

I wouldn't dismiss the film thematically, either. I think it engages with a range of highly pertinent and complex themes.

For instance, Blade Runner asks existential questions, some of which feel more urgent since its production -- what is the nature of human existence and consciousness? What distinctions should we make between the biological and technological? What responsibilities do humans have over the things they create? How do these questions relate to or alter our morality? And that's before we get into issues of cultural imperialism, which are just as complex as the questions posed above.

The film doesn't answer these questions, but then neither can I. And it seems unfair to judge the filmmakers for failing to answer questions scientists and philosophers have wrestled with for centuries, or in some cases millennia.

At the same time, I probably find Blade Runner an easier film to admire than enjoy. I'm happy to embrace Blade Runner at a stylistic level, and for the filmmakers' audacity and prescience, even if I feel emotionally detached from the characters. Maybe that's the point... The film can also be read allegorically, in any number of ways.

Oh, and there's more going on with Star Wars fandom than nostalgia!
smiley-smile.gif

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
i ordered the Blu ray from amazon even tho I knew I didn't like it but it's a reference quality Blu ray absolutely flawless but still I have no love for this film.i thought the pristine transfer would somehow make me like it but no.

Well if you want to give it to me... ;)

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Films like Casablanca will die with our mums and dads.the majority of the old classics are to be admired rather than enjoyed.do a poll of the best 100 films of all time in 30 years all the oldies will be nowhere to be seen.sad but true.

love the movies but citizen Kane best film of all time! Yeah ok!

its a twilight generation how many young teen girls would entertain gone with the wind for 3 hours I don't think so.

the dialogue in older films is laughable with women characters portrayed as weak clinging to their men for dear life , no swearing or the cartoon violence we are used to nowadays.

take a film like guess who's coming to dinner it's just laughable nowadays ,important at the time but now it's just daft.

I've read some rubbish by members of this website and what you just said is most certainly up there with the worst.

A classic film is a classic film regardless of when it was made. Old films like DR strangelove, Built, Psycho, Some like it hot (One of the funniest films ever made), Modern times (funny Charlie Chaplin film), Vertigo, Lawrence of Arabia, Mary Poppins, Fantasia and Rebel without a cause are some of my all time favourite films and I was born in 84. Cartoon violence was stared in the 1940's as before your feature film was shown you would see a cartoon like Tom and Jerry. They could not make cartoons today like they did back in the 40's & 50's as people would say it is much to violent. Also Gone with the wind is a rubbish film not because it is old but because it is a boring romantic film.

T

theflyingwasp

Nah that's total balls mrreaper just because it's classic dosent mean its good.you ask the average young person if they have seen ANY of the films you mentioned and you would get a blank stare back .im not saying the films are no good far from it,I'm just as happy watching the treasure of Sierra Madre or bad day at black rock etc as I am watching Home Alone .

ask the average person you know when was the last time they Lawrence of Arabia ( some complete English w##k crossing the desert) of Ben hur or sat through Fantasia without a child being present.

nick12

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
MrReaper182 said:
theflyingwasp said:

love the movies but citizen Kane best film of all time! Yeah ok!

I've read some rubbish by members of this website and what you just said is most certainly up there with the worst.

A classic film is a classic film regardless of when it was made. Old films like DR strangelove, Built, Psycho, Some like it hot (One of the funniest films ever made), Modern times (funny Charlie Chaplin film), Vertigo, Lawrence of Arabia, Mary Poppins, Fantasia and Rebel without a cause are some of my all time favourite films and I was born in 84. Cartoon violence was stared in the 1940's as before your feature film was shown you would see a cartoon like Tom and Jerry. They could not make cartoons today like they did back in the 40's & 50's as people would say it is much to violent. Also Gone with the wind is a rubbish film not because it is old but because it is a boring romantic film.

Well said, MrReaper.

Contemporary social attitudes and the latest special effects have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with greatness. I'll take Brief Encounter (with all its outdated social mores and unrealistic old-fashioned dialogue!) over any of the modern day crap Richard Curtis pumps out simply because the emotional heart of the film is so much stronger and remains compelling over an infinite number of viewings. The whims of a teenage audience is irrelevant with regard to the effortless longevity of true classics.

T

theflyingwasp

Charlie Chaplin - christ! For film enthusiasts only.id love to know how many people under 30 own a bloody Charlie Chaplin film or for that matter Harold Lloyd or laurel and hardy.

Outdated bollocks - a man falling over , a pie to the face .complete shi##

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:
Charlie Chaplin - christ! For film enthusiasts only.id love to know how many people under 30 own a bloody Charlie Chaplin film or for that matter Harold Lloyd or laurel and hardy.

That's the opinion of someone that's never watched Laurel and Hardy...

nick12

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
theflyingwasp said:

What under 30s buy into is utterly irrelevant in determining greatness. Longevity counts for all. How much of the crap that under 30's flock to will still be watched in 100 years? Very little, I suspect. Somehow I can't see Will Ferrell, Steve Carell and Rob Pattinson being revered a century from now like Cary Grant and Judy Garland et al. Oh, and my nieces (6 and 8yrs old) LOVE Laurel and Hardy, by the way.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

The_Lhc said:
theflyingwasp said:

That's the opinion of someone that's never watched Laurel and Hardy...

He's right about Chaplin though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts