Best speakers for house music genre

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys. Let me know the best speakers to listen house music ( deep house,vocal,disco,lounge,etc). I like pure vocal sound( not screaming like Klipsch but very detailed and stereo), good bass( not to cover the vocal but to add quality),etc..

I've asked about Tannoy DC6,Paradigm Studio 20,MA GX100,KEF XQ20,etc... people have different tastes and opnions so Im little confused. I must say Im really newbie and have heard only Paradigm Studio 20 vs Klipsh rb81( not sure if it was rb81 or better but the guy said it was the top one and the same level as Studio 20). I really dislike the Klipsch. They scream tooo much.. not balanced..etc... however, I can not say clearly I liked the Studio 20. Yes, they were very solid.. good punch.. etc.. but there is something I can not describe but I didnt like. A guy told me they play foward so the sound seems to be jumping out of the speaker. Not sure if its true, but I think they are not the best for house music.
By the way ,here is what people have told me:
1 - Studio 20 plays foward so they are not good for electronic music because they can not fill the room space and also not good for stereo sound because that.
2 - Tannoy DC6 - they are good speakers.. neutral.. balanced.. but they can not come down and respond to the bass of electronic musics.

3 - GX100 - They would be better for jazz musics..etc.. however they could cause fadigue to my ears playing electronics after 1h..etc..

4- XQ 20 - Good vocal.. detailed..but not good bass..etc..

Some other guys are saying I would go for KEF Q300 or Monitor Audio RX2 because their bass and musicality.

Thats what I've heard .
As I told you , I like fine stuffs.. good looking things..etc.. so of course I'd prefer to buy a gold series.. or another hi level speaker. However, my apartment is really small so Im not sure what to buy.
Some people also said I dont need soo good speakers to play electronic musics. So, what would I buy? Is the hi end ones out of match considering electronic musics?
Let me know your suggestions.
Thank you so much.
Ricardo

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Ricardo

What does the rest of your system consist of (CD, amp etc), and how much do you wish to spend?

Regards

Cno

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
Hi Ricardo What does the rest of your system consist of (CD, amp etc), and how much do you wish to spend? Regards Cno
Thanks Cno! Actualy Im buying everything now. I will buy a receiver and also pre amp. Hard to say my budget because Im in Brazil where these stuffs cost 4..5 times more than US..etc.. but my budget is that line.. top line of bookshelf maybe not including the platinum line.. most expensive B&W line..etc.. but all the rest is ok.

Regards

Ricardo

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
For House music bass extension and quality are important.

6" bass cones generally start rolling off at about 80 to 100hz.

12" and 15" cones go down to 35 to 40hz.

18" and bigger will get you to 20hz.

I generally prefer the quality of bass from sealed box speakers instead of ported ones. Horned bass might be another good option if you don't mind the size of them.

So, my suggestion is to get speakers with 12" or bigger bass cones in a large sealed box.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
hmmm. my speakers, with a 7 inch cone, go down to 32hz.

Ricardo, how big is your room and how far from the walls will the speakers be?

A

Anonymous

hi,

monitor audio rs8 - they are 2nd hand on ebay from time to time. they have many good qualities and they are bassy have slam and pace but arent too forward or bright, or dynaudio 2/6-they are superb and have bass, control, soundstage and why dont i own them, oh yeah, i have no money left-you really wouldnt be disapointed.

be patient

good luck and happy listening

A

Anonymous

Since you seem to like the Tannoys, have you considered the DC6T? It is the full-size twin of the DC6 and should provide more bass extension.

Other than that, I'd suggest looking for a good subwoofer. Low-end extension is easier to provide through a sub, you're going to pay a lot for an amplifier that can deliver both control and power in the sub-60Hz frequencies.

A

Anonymous

Thats the layout of my apartment

http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/ricardovasco/?action=view&current=LayoutRicardodef.jpg

Its quite small. The are where the HT will be is 4.6 x 6.2 inches but the whole space is like 3 times that measurement.

A

Anonymous

Craig M. said:

Thats the layout of my apartment

http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/ricardovasco/?action=view&curre...

Its quite small. The are where the HT will be is 4.6 x 6.2 inches but the whole space is like 3 times that measurement.

A

Anonymous

tremon said:
Since you seem to like the Tannoys, have you considered the DC6T? It is the full-size twin of the DC6 and should provide more bass extension.

Other than that, I'd suggest looking for a good subwoofer. Low-end extension is easier to provide through a sub, you're going to pay a lot for an amplifier that can deliver both control and power in the sub-60Hz frequencies.

Yep, thats the Tannoy I was looking for. However I think they are not that good for low bass.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Craig M. said:

That's minus how many db's?

And how many of those db's are coming from a port and how many from the cones?

And is all this at 2.83 volts input? What happens when you feed 28 volts or 280 volts into your speakers at these frequencies?

Bass quality goes out the window when you're listening to air wafting in and out of ports instead of air controlled directly by a cone.

And the proof of the pudding is in the eating. How do your speakers compare in the bass department against something with 12" or larger cones in a large sealed box?

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
tremon said:

Hoffman's Iron Law: in speakers you can have; bass extension, high efficiency, small size. Pick any 2.

As speakers get bigger they generally get more efficient. There are plenty of large speakers (with control and power below 60hz) that are over 92db efficient with a 6 ohm or greater minimum impedance that are easy peasy loads for amplifiers. Meaning that a cheapo valve or solid state amp will sound fine with them.

Tannoy DC6t's would not be my choice of speaker for House music due to their pathetically small 6" drivers plus the stupid port.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Craig M. said:

That's minus how many db's?

-3, although i got the bass figure wrong. it is 35hz

And how many of those db's are coming from a port and how many from the cones?

no idea, but apparently "The design brief was to achieve the performance of a three-way system using only two drivers, with the aim of delivering an extended bass and accurate mid-range with the lowest possible distortion. The laws of physics impose certain boundaries, but this design pushes them back by using novel technology in both the driver design and the cast-metal enclosure." and "which it is claimed has a 30Hz to 10kHz raw response (measured without the filtering effects of the crossover or the ported cabinet). This uses a carbon-fibre-reinforced, paper-pulp cone, driven by a 66mm copper-clad aluminium voice-coil, wound onto a robust polyamide/glass-fibre former and powered by a neodymium magnetic assembly. The roll surround is S-shaped for mechanical symmetry, but what really sets the EX8 apart from the vast majority of other drivers is the use of a second, series-connected, static voice-coil, which is effectively part of the magnetic motor and is wired out of phase, so that it pushes against the voice coil on the cone. Event call this technology X-Coil, and they claim that it provides greater control over the cone, resulting in better transient handling and lower distortion. Similar dual-coil systems have been tried in the past, with varying degrees of success, so the general idea isn’t new, but the driver needs to have a large physical excursion range to make this work correctly. The EX8 is built with a cone-travel capability of a huge 36mm within its linear range, and has an impressive power-handling capability of 240W pink noise and 720W peak."

And is all this at 2.83 volts input? What happens when you feed 28 volts or 280 volts into your speakers at these frequencies?

dunno, as they're active i can only feed them with the internal amp.

Bass quality goes out the window when you're listening to air wafting in and out of ports instead of air controlled directly by a cone.

And the proof of the pudding is in the eating. How do your speakers compare in the bass department against something with 12" or larger cones in a large sealed box?

again, i don't know, but if you have any good ideas on how i would fit speakers that size into my room - or the op into his...

what level of distortion do you get at low frequencies with the 12 inch cones? how do you deal with bass modes in your room at such low frequencies?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
RICARDOVASCO said:
CnoEvil said:
Hi Ricardo What does the rest of your system consist of (CD, amp etc), and how much do you wish to spend? Regards Cno
Thanks Cno! Actualy Im buying everything now. I will buy a receiver and also pre amp. Hard to say my budget because Im in Brazil where these stuffs cost 4..5 times more than US..etc.. but my budget is that line.. top line of bookshelf maybe not including the platinum line.. most expensive B&W line..etc.. but all the rest is ok.

Regards

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo

Sorry for the late reply, but I was away.

Are you buying an AV or Stereo Receiver and how do you intend to use the pre-amp?

Do you have any idea of the brands that you intend to get along with the speakers?

I would also suggest that you try to hear speakers like PMC, Neat, Dynaudio and Vienna Acoustics.

A system works best, if the componants work well together, so any info you can give, helps ensure the best advice.

Cno

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i agree with Cno, but bare in mind some speakers will need a fair bit of space behind them - something to consider if you would prefer to have them close to the wall behind them.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
RICARDOVASCO said:
CnoEvil said:

Regards

Ricardo

Hi Ricardo Sorry for the late reply, but I was away. Are you buying an AV or Stereo Receiver and how do you intend to use the pre-amp? Do you have any idea of the brands that you intend to get along with the speakers? I would also suggest that you try to hear speakers like PMC, Neat, Dynaudio and Vienna Acoustics. A system works best, if the componants work well together, so any info you can give, helps ensure the best advice. Cno

Thanks Cno!

I will buy everything to get the maximum the speaker can bring me. I mean, I have nothing until now but when I decide which speaker to go I will buy the best for that speaker.. best receiver for match with them.. best pre amp for them..etc..

I just need to know which speaker to go. Of course my budget is the studio 20 line.. MA gold line..Tannoy DC6..Kef xq20.. Im talking about prices... not quality. I've also searched for B&W 805s but some people said they are not that good for that type of music.

Help me guys! ; )

Thanks

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would recommend that you get a listen to Musical Fidelity M3i + Dynaudio Focus 110 / PMC DB1i/ Proac Studio 115.

I'm still not clear if you are looking for a 7 channel amp or not; and by a pre-amp, do you mean an integrated amp, or are you getting a power amp as well?

Cno

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
I would recommend that you get a listen to Musical Fidelity M3i + Dynaudio Focus 110 / PMC DB1i/ Proac Studio 115. I'm still not clear if you are looking for a 7 channel amp or not; and by a pre-amp, do you mean an integrated amp, or are you getting a power amp as well? Cno

I think integrated amp would be better and cheaper. Isn't it? I just want to buy 2 books + 1 center +2 surrounds + 1 sub.

Thanks

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi Ricardo,

I'm not going to recommend a particular speaker or amp, but would strongly suggest that you get a home demo of whatever equipment that you can and go from there...

Your own room will have a massive effect on the way any speaker performs, and could give the way they present music a completely different character from what you were expecting (sometimes good, sometimes very bad!).

Use recommendations/reviews as a loose guide to find quality products (also bear in mind that there's plenty more out there that don't get widely scrutinised by the likes of mainstream magazines), then use your ears in your own environment to make the real decisions, because that's what you'l have to live with once you've made your purchases! :)

gramps23

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi Ricardo,

I'm not going to recommend a particular speaker or amp, but would strongly suggest that you get a home demo of whatever equipment that you can and go from there...

Your own room will have a massive effect on the way any speaker performs, and could give the way they present music a completely different character from what you were expecting (sometimes good, sometimes very bad!).

Use recommendations/reviews as a loose guide to find quality products (also bear in mind that there's plenty more out there that don't get widely scrutinised by the likes of mainstream magazines), then use your ears in your own environment to make the real decisions, because that's what you'l have to live with once you've made your purchases! :)

A

Anonymous

gramps23 said:
Hi Ricardo,

Yep, you are 100% correct! However, here in Brazil is quite hard to test them. Thats why I want to have some options and then try to listen to them.

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
I would recommend that you get a listen to Musical Fidelity M3i + Dynaudio Focus 110 / PMC DB1i/ Proac Studio 115. I'm still not clear if you are looking for a 7 channel amp or not; and by a pre-amp, do you mean an integrated amp, or are you getting a power amp as well? Cno

Thanks Cno! Im sure these 3 are top ones! Do you have a fav one ? Im gonna try to listen to them.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
RICARDOVASCO said:
CnoEvil said:

Thanks Cno! Im sure these 3 are top ones! Do you have a fav one ? Im gonna try to listen to them.

I personally like Proac, but I think that the Dynaudio might suit your music better. They are all great speakers, so read reviews and pick the one that appeals the most.

Also, it may come down to what amp you are likely to get. ie. Arcam works with PMC etc

Cno

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i haven't heard the studio 115 but wasn't keen on the studio 110 model before it. i agree with Cno about the focus 110, but as you have a fairly small listening area just be aware that they will need to be at least 55cm from the rear wall to keep the bass in order, they like an amp with high current output too. nice speakers though.
smiley-smile.gif

TRENDING THREADS