Best speakers for house music genre

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
RICARDOVASCO said:
CnoEvil said:
I would recommend that you get a listen to Musical Fidelity M3i + Dynaudio Focus 110 / PMC DB1i/ Proac Studio 115. I'm still not clear if you are looking for a 7 channel amp or not; and by a pre-amp, do you mean an integrated amp, or are you getting a power amp as well? Cno

Thanks Cno! Im sure these 3 are top ones! Do you have a fav one ? Im gonna try to listen to them.

I personally like Proac, but I think that the Dynaudio might suit your music better. They are all great speakers, so read reviews and pick the one that appeals the most. Also, it may come down to what amp you are likely to get. ie. Arcam works with PMC etc Cno

Thanks! I've seen 2 of them are not 8ohms ( 4 and 6ohms). Im newbie but I remember I almost bought the Polk Audio Lsi9 but they were 4ohms so I gave up because people said I needed a different electronic..etc..

Is it true? I mean, not sure if is hard to find a receiver and pre amp which works from 4 to 8 ohms... Do you guys think if I buy an integrated amp I can go for 4..6.. 8ohms whithout any problem?

Regards

A

Anonymous

Craig M. said:
i haven't heard the studio 115 but wasn't keen on the studio 110 model before it. i agree with Cno about the focus 110, but as you have a fairly small listening area just be aware that they will need to be at least 55cm from the rear wall to keep the bass in order, they like an amp with high current output too. nice speakers though.
smiley-smile.gif
Thanks Craig! Yep, I have 55cm with I use them on pedestal(not sure if its the same name in english but I mean the support for the speaker). I was planning to put them on the furniture but it won't be more than 60cm depth.

I mean, If I need to use "pedestal", do you guys think I would go for floor-standers? Will they give me a much better sound?

Regards

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
RICARDOVASCO said:
CnoEvil said:
RICARDOVASCO said:
CnoEvil said:
I would recommend that you get a listen to Musical Fidelity M3i + Dynaudio Focus 110 / PMC DB1i/ Proac Studio 115. I'm still not clear if you are looking for a 7 channel amp or not; and by a pre-amp, do you mean an integrated amp, or are you getting a power amp as well? Cno

Thanks Cno! Im sure these 3 are top ones! Do you have a fav one ? Im gonna try to listen to them.

I personally like Proac, but I think that the Dynaudio might suit your music better. They are all great speakers, so read reviews and pick the one that appeals the most. Also, it may come down to what amp you are likely to get. ie. Arcam works with PMC etc Cno

Thanks! I've seen 2 of them are not 8ohms ( 4 and 6ohms). Im newbie but I remember I almost bought the Polk Audio Lsi9 but they were 4ohms so I gave up because people said I needed a different electronic..etc..

Is it true? I mean, not sure if is hard to find a receiver and pre amp which works from 4 to 8 ohms... Do you guys think if I buy an integrated amp I can go for 4..6.. 8ohms whithout any problem?

Regards

To drive a 4/6 ohm speaker, the amp needs to have plenty of current, which means it should ideally double its power as the Ohms halve. The two channel amp that I mentioned (MF M3i) has 76 Watts into 8 Ohms and 137 into 4 Ohms so is up to the task.

A pre-amp has nothing to do with driving speakers (that's the power amp).

A 7 channel amp will need to have reasonable power, if the speakers need lots of current.

If you are combining an AV amp with an Integrated one, then the AV amp will need pre-outs so it can pass the signal for front L&R to the Integrated one. The Integrated amp on its own is used for 2 channel.

The fact that English isn't your first language, combined with your newbie status, makes it unclear what you wish to do......please don't take this as criticism, it's just that I am confused as to what you are trying to achieve.

Regards

Cno

A

Anonymous

CnoEvil said:
RICARDOVASCO said:
CnoEvil said:
RICARDOVASCO said:
CnoEvil said:

Regards

To drive a 4/6 ohm speaker, the amp needs to have plenty of current, which means it should ideally double its power as the Ohms halve. The two channel amp that I mentioned (MF M3i) has 76 Watts into 8 Ohms and 137 into 4 Ohms so is up to the task. A pre-amp has nothing to do with driving speakers (that's the power amp). A 7 channel amp will need to have reasonable power, if the speakers need lots of current. If you are combining an AV amp with an Integrated one, then the AV amp will need pre-outs so it can pass the signal for front L&R to the Integrated one. The Integrated amp on its own is used for 2 channel. The fact that English isn't your first language, combined with your newbie status, makes it unclear what you wish to do......please don't take this as criticism, it's just that I am confused as to what you are trying to achieve. Regards Cno

I got it! Thanks! I also talked to a friend who is an "expert". He said once I get a good amp I dont need to care about 4.. 8 ohms.. they are much more flexible and powerful than receivers . Ok , so forget about this question . lol

Now I need to find some of these speakers to test them. Here I can only find easier the Kef,Monitor Audio,kLipsch,B&W,Paradigm... these ones you suggested I can't .

Regards

A

Anonymous

Of that list, I would recommend Paradigm and Kef first. They are wildly different in character, but offer the best value for money. Though I'm sure someone will reply recommending the MAs or B&Ws instead :)

ABM78

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
I Have Dynaudio Excite X-12's and listen to wide range of music and think they sound great with house/trance/dance etc etc. Sound good with most things and thats running them off my A/V amp. Would highly recommend, heard the focus 110's are a fair bit better again but as stated above not sure how they would go in a small space but if its in the budget I would go for it!

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

Ok, I owned the DB1i's and I replaced them with Focus 110s (with Cyrus X Power, which can properly drive them), as I listen to quite a lot of techno/electronic and the Focus are so much better suited. No matter what it says "on the tin", i.e. frequency response, the Focus 110s just fill the room with sound and slam it like you are listening in a club. Which I believe is what you are after.

Although they are an excellent little speaker for small rooms with rock and pop, you will be disappointed with the DB1i for your needs. Having said that, the Focus 110 are low sensitivity, 4 Ohm speakers that need well-matched amplification.

A

Anonymous

datay said:
CnoEvil said:

Ok, I owned the DB1i's and I replaced them with Focus 110s (with Cyrus X Power, which can properly drive them), as I listen to quite a lot of techno/electronic and the Focus are so much better suited. No matter what it says "on the tin", i.e. frequency response, the Focus 110s just fill the room with sound and slam it like you are listening in a club. Which I believe is what you are after.

Although they are an excellent little speaker for small rooms with rock and pop, you will be disappointed with the DB1i for your needs. Having said that, the Focus 110 are low sensitivity, 4 Ohm speakers that need well-matched amplification.

Thanks Datay! How big is your room? Have u used the same system for both speakers? Dont you think that was the reason the DB1i didnt play that good? I mean, I dont know them. I just want to make sure which one really perfom better with good bass.. pure vocal... and dont give me any fadigue after 1..2 hours. By the way, I think I need some thing stronger than Musical Fidelity M3i. Do I?

A

Anonymous

ABM78 said:
I Have Dynaudio Excite X-12's and listen to wide range of music and think they sound great with house/trance/dance etc etc. Sound good with most things and thats running them off my A/V amp. Would highly recommend, heard the focus 110's are a fair bit better again but as stated above not sure how they would go in a small space but if its in the budget I would go for it!

Whats your room size? I mean, the place my HT will stay is 4.6"x6.2" ( 3meters x 4 meters) but the whole room is 3 times that size. Do you think they would work well?

http://s731.photobucket.com/albums/ww320/ricardovasco/?action=view&current=LayoutRicardodef.jpg

Regards

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
RICARDOVASCO said:
datay said:
CnoEvil said:

Thanks Datay! How big is your room? Have u used the same system for both speakers? Dont you think that was the reason the DB1i didnt play that good? I mean, I dont know them. I just want to make sure which one really perfom better with good bass.. pure vocal... and dont give me any fadigue after 1..2 hours. By the way, I think I need some thing stronger than Musical Fidelity M3i. Do I?

My room is small, 3.5 x 3.5m. The system was the same, I just changed the speakers. Having owned both I wouldn't even consider the DB1i's if the Focus 110s are available, for this kind of music. Note that I didn't say the DB1i's "didn't play that good", they are excellent, but the Focus are just better for techno. There is no fatigue with Focus (nor with DB1i for that matter). I don't know about the MF amp, sorry.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:

I agree with Datay, as shown in the above comment.

A

Anonymous

datay said:
RICARDOVASCO said:
datay said:
CnoEvil said:

My room is small, 3.5 x 3.5m. The system was the same, I just changed the speakers. Having owned both I wouldn't even consider the DB1i's if the Focus 110s are available, for this kind of music. Note that I didn't say the DB1i's "didn't play that good", they are excellent, but the Focus are just better for techno. There is no fatigue with Focus (nor with DB1i for that matter). I don't know about the MF amp, sorry.

Thanks! When you say "... but the Focus are just better for techno " you mean house music as well? I mean, I dont like too much electro house or techno. I really do prefer disco house.. vocal house. My priority is the voice.. pure vocal..perfect stereo sound.. of course I like bass, but a "dry bass".. not too muffled. Do you still recommend the Focus 110? Are they better even that?

Regards

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
datay said:

i preferred the focus to the db1i for exactly the reasons datay gives, but i thought they were better for rock and pop too. they should fill your room easily enough, they did mine at 8m x 4.5m. just to make my point once more, they will really reward you for using a powerful amp, the bass will be soft and flabby if the amp hasn't got the current to keep them in line, but give them what they want and you'll be amazed by the bass from such a small speaker. i loved mine.
smiley-smile.gif

edit: just seen the post above, the focus 110s have a lovely, natural mid and smooth higher frequencies. they're very enjoyable speakers.

A

Anonymous

Guys, do you think a speaker like Focus 100 is far way better than a Monitor Audio GX100 ( new gold series)?

Im just asking because Kef and MA are soo cheap here in Brazil. The GX100 is cheaper than Paradigm Studio 20.. I can get them for 1200 usd and Studio 20 costs almost 3000 usd for example. The reason is MA and KEF come directly from China,etc.. and the Paradigm only can be found at their autorized dealers.Im also asking to make sure the Focus 100 is that better because Im sure I will need to import them or bring them with me when I travel to US or somewhere else.

A

Anonymous

Hey guys. I changed my mind today. I just went to a HT store and listened 2 speakers. One was from Elak( bookshelf stantard line) and then I listened the Dali Ikon 7. First of all, I saw some strong books over there and they were sooo big. My complain about floorstanding speakers was the space they would occuped. However these strong bookshelfs are too big to stay on my furniture with the center speaker and if I use speaker pedestal they will ocuppy the same area that floorstanding does so once the floorstanding sound is much better for bass..details..etc... I think thats the best option. Do you guys agree?

Im newbie as said so I really liked the standard Elak. However they didnt have any house music or electronic sound to play so I heard jazz..etc.. but when they changed to Dali Ikon 7. OMG! They played fantastic! The bass was incredible..I could listen all details.. sooo pure voices..etc..

My question is. Is the Dali Ikon 7 a good match or it happens only because they were the first floorstanding I heard? Can you guys point me other options?

Thank you all again! You have helped me a lot!

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
The Dali Ikon 7's are a step in the right direction for your type of music. However they only have 6 1/2" bass cones and they have a reflex port. There are speakers that will sound much better for House music than the Ikons. Trouble is, most of these have a larger footprint than the Ikons.

So, it depends what is the optimum compromise for you between size and sound quality? The best way to answer that would be for you to hear a decent pair of speakers with proper sized bass cones and preferably a sealed box design. Something at least as big as a pair of Yamaha NS1000's.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
If your worried about bass extension from a small inefficient stand mount speaker you could add a sub. It would be an easier task to find an active sealed sub unit with a large cone area that can deal with the low frequencies. Optimise the speaker position in the room, as this will have the biggest impact and tune in the sub.

Remember though you will need a line out for the sub from the amp, pretty much standard but worth a note.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
shooter69 said:
Remember though you will need a line out for the sub from the amp, pretty much standard but worth a note.

Not strictly true. Some have (I think it's called) a high level input which connects from the speaker terminals using speaker cable. For example, the sub I'm thinking of getting has high level input and output so even though my amp only has one set of speaker terminals, i can run speaker cable into the sub and then another set of speaker cables from the sub through to my speakers.

A

Anonymous

lindsayt said:
The Dali Ikon 7's are a step in the right direction for your type of music. However they only have 6 1/2" bass cones and they have a reflex port. There are speakers that will sound much better for House music than the Ikons. Trouble is, most of these have a larger footprint than the Ikons.

So, it depends what is the optimum compromise for you between size and sound quality? The best way to answer that would be for you to hear a decent pair of speakers with proper sized bass cones and preferably a sealed box design. Something at least as big as a pair of Yamaha NS1000's.

Thanks lindsayt! The Yamaha NS1000 looks a huge bookshelf. Is it a tower or bookshelf?! As I said my options are standard bookshelf line which are small or floorstanding speakers(towers). Im worried more about sound quality than quantity. However, there are other tower options which has a bigger bass cones like 8". Im just wondering if these ones with 8" or 10"cones will have a pure and balanced sound as the Ikon 7 has.

Do you guys think a floorstanding like theses ones are better than Ikon 7?

http://www.jet.com.br/clicksul/detalhes.asp?idproduto=681038

http://www.jet.com.br/clicksul/detalhes.asp?idproduto=553954

http://www.jet.com.br/clicksul/detalhes.asp?idproduto=553955

http://www.jet.com.br/clicksul/detalhes.asp?idproduto=652002

What about Tannoy Revolution DC6T?

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/tannoy-revolution-dc6t-945268/review

Regards

A

Anonymous

shooter69 said:
If your worried about bass extension from a small inefficient stand mount speaker you could add a sub. It would be an easier task to find an active sealed sub unit with a large cone area that can deal with the low frequencies. Optimise the speaker position in the room, as this will have the biggest impact and tune in the sub.

Thanks shooter69! I know that. Even buying a tower I would buy a sub for movies. The point is the floorstanding speakers are far better balanced..better bass..sound detailed.. than bookshelfs. It will also leave my furniture free for the system and only the center speaker.I think the bookshelfs + center on the furniture would be too much confused.

Now I just need to know some options for good towers.

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
There is good reason i suggested the sub and stand mount combo. Putting aesthetics aside this set up will give you a better sound. You will have the pace, rhythm and drive of a good stand mount with great imaging to boot due to the lack of resonances the cabinet produces, they are also easier to position in any given room because of it. The sealed sub in turn will give you the lower note's you want without the negative's of a ported stand mount or ported sub, clean pacey rhythmical bass. Overall the combo will give you a good clean sound top to bottom. Obv this is only my view.

On the tower's, it's difficult to add any solid advise on what to try due to your location and what's available for you to demo. But, if you want a tower to ponder on which should be available in Brazil at Audio Uno in Curitiba look at the Acoustic Energy Aelite 3. It will give you deep smooth bass from 34hz, not to shabby. The price here in the UK is around £550 which is similarly priced to the other option you have listed so the prices your end should be similar. Have a look on the AE site for dealer contact detail's if you interested also there are reviews on line to read over.

A

Anonymous

I saw your message in HTForun. If I were you I would just avoid KEF X20. Althought its clear and detailed mids, it sounds overbright and with lean mid-bass (weak punch). As you listen electronic music, this models is not for you.

A very safe purchase is Dynaudio Focus 110. If it's available for audtion, it's also worty auditioning Proac*, PMC*, Harbeth* and Spendor SA1. If you purchased a warm amp like Exaudi 510HE Signature (Solen polypropylene coupling capacitors and Danish Dact attenuator), Monitor Audio Gold GX Series would be a good choice for you as well. My current speakers are Monitor Audio's Studio 6, one of their predecessor model (Studio 6>Gold Reference 10>GX10>GX100) which shares similar characters of the latters. How does it sound? Valve-like mids, silky high resolution highs, awesome dynamics, deep punchy well controled solidstate-type bass lines.

* I don't remember their model's names.

About the amp, its design is purist and clean (aiming the shortest possible signal path), using 100% discrete ciruit. The 510HE Signatures uses a dual monobloc built, with dedicated massive toroidal transformers for each channel and over sized reservour; pre-amp section is passive (no active devices, i.e., no transistors), adopting the highest grade Dact attenuator for Signature model. Power section is a classic Class A-B topology with japanese lateral Mosfets. Just high-grade Solen polypropilene capacitors are used in audio signal path.

Good auditioning!

A

Anonymous

Audio Maniac said:
I saw your message in HTForun. If I were you I would just avoid KEF X20. Althought its clear and detailed mids, it sounds overbright and with lean mid-bass (weak punch). As you listen electronic music, this models is not for you.

A very safe purchase is Dynaudio Focus 110. If it's available for audtion, it's also worty auditioning Proac*, PMC*, Harbeth* and Spendor SA1. If you purchased a warm amp like Exaudi 510HE Signature (Solen polypropylene coupling capacitors and Danish Dact attenuator), Monitor Audio Gold GX Series would be a good choice for you as well. My current speakers are Monitor Audio's Studio 6, one of their predecessor model (Studio 6>Gold Reference 10>GX10>GX100) which shares similar characters of the latters. How does it sound? Valve-like mids, silky high resolution highs, awesome dynamics, deep punchy well controled solidstate-type bass lines.

* I don't remember their model's names.

About the amp, its design is purist and clean (aiming the shortest possible signal path), using 100% discrete ciruit. The 510HE Signatures uses a dual monobloc built, with dedicated massive toroidal transformers for each channel and over sized reservour; pre-amp section is passive (no active devices, i.e., no transistors), adopting the highest grade Dact attenuator for Signature model. Power section is a classic Class A-B topology with japanese lateral Mosfets. Just high-grade Solen polypropilene capacitors are used in audio signal path.

Good auditioning!

Thanks Audio Maniac! What about towers? Any suggestion?

Regards

A

Anonymous

shooter69 said:
There is good reason i suggested the sub and stand mount combo. Putting aesthetics aside this set up will give you a better sound. You will have the pace, rhythm and drive of a good stand mount with great imaging to boot due to the lack of resonances the cabinet produces, they are also easier to position in any given room because of it. The sealed sub in turn will give you the lower note's you want without the negative's of a ported stand mount or ported sub, clean pacey rhythmical bass. Overall the combo will give you a good clean sound top to bottom. Obv this is only my view.

On the tower's, it's difficult to add any solid advise on what to try due to your location and what's available for you to demo. But, if you want a tower to ponder on which should be available in Brazil at Audio Uno in Curitiba look at the Acoustic Energy Aelite 3. It will give you deep smooth bass from 34hz, not to shabby. The price here in the UK is around £550 which is similarly priced to the other option you have listed so the prices your end should be similar. Have a look on the AE site for dealer contact detail's if you interested also there are reviews on line to read over.

Thanks shooter69! Yep, I've heard the same. The AE towers are like best buy comparing price and quality. Which model would be the rival of Ikon 7? Dont you think the Acoustic Energy Radiance would be better for electronic music?

Regards

A

Anonymous

Ricardo,

I thought you would purchase bookshelvs. Haven't you decided about it yet?

Be careful when choosing floorstanders. Most of them are just not suitable for small rooms. Soundstage may mess up and bass lines may sound boomy and overweighted. I faced similar troubles with in the past. The floor loudspeakers would sound awful in my living room. Eventually, I replace them by a pair of Monitor Audio's bookshelvs.

I am under the impression you wrote somewhere else your room is small. If so, a pair of bookshelvs is a safer choice. If you decide to purchase floorstanders, you should listen to them in your room before closing the deal for safety sake.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts