Best speakers for house music genre

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

Audio Maniac said:
Ricardo,

I thought you would purchase bookshelvs. Haven't you decided about it yet?

Be careful when choosing floorstanders. Most of them are just not suitable for small rooms. Soundstage may mess up and bass lines may sound boomy and overweighted. I faced similar troubles with in the past. The floor loudspeakers would sound awful in my living room. Eventually, I replace them by a pair of Monitor Audio's bookshelvs.

I am under the impression you wrote somewhere else your room is small. If so, a pair of bookshelvs is a safer choice. If you decide to purchase floorstanders, you should listen to them in your room before closing the deal for safety sake.

Thanks Audio Maniac. In fact, I haven't decided yet. I mean, I was looking for bookshelvs but the good ones are too big and large. They won't fit on my furniture ( 2 big bookshelvs + 1 center speaker). So If I bought the bookshelvs like Paradigm Studio 20, Dynaudio or any top of line, I needed to use them on pedestal support. Then if I use them on pedestal they will take the same space of the towers. Thats why Im thinking about floor stanfing as well. I've heard they sound much better for bass.. details..etc.. Is it true?I think I have enough space once I have a room only for the HT. What do you think about that?

Regards

A

Anonymous

Hi Ricardo

If you have enjoyed the Ikon 7's sound, then you might want to have a listen to the Dali Mentor 6. I heard them two weeks ago against some B&W CM9's, T+A Criterion (TS 300 if I remember correctly) and some Piega's which I don't remember the model. Voices were reproduced stunningly, compared to the others as well as they were superior to my Ikon 6's, which was to expect, though.

Bass is very quick and accurate, but not the last word in depth. Easily deep enough for most music but I didn't listen to house in the shop, so I can't tell whether they're bass-heavy enough or not.

If you can find them in Brazil and they fit into your budget, I think they're worth a listen.

A

Anonymous

Placing bookshelvs on a shelf or rack? Just forget it! It won't simply work out.

Bookshelvs must be placed on rock solid stands to sound fine. If you do what you have in mind, low end will loose control and soundstage will mess up as well. Moreover, most high-end bookshelvs requires at least 50 cm from the rear wall, otherwise bass lines will sound uneven (there'll be a reinforcement of mid-bass).

The easiest way of getting a smooth performance is by adopting bookshelvs. Things will get worse with floorstanders as they usually need 1 m distance from rear wall. Apart from placement, just a few of them (usually small models) performs finely in small rooms. In fact, the most obvious troubles are an unpleasent boomy low end and messy soundstage.

Then, it's not a matter of space saving. Both bookshelvs on stands and floorstanders will occupy marginally the same space in your room. But the latter usually requires a larger room to sound as expected. That's it!

"In fact, I haven't decided yet. I mean, I was looking for bookshelvs but the good ones are too big and large. They won't fit on my furniture ( 2 big bookshelvs + 1 center speaker). So If I bought the bookshelvs like Paradigm Studio 20, Dynaudio or any top of line, I needed to use them on pedestal support. Then if I use them on pedestal they will take the same space of the towers. Thats why Im thinking about floor stanfing as well. I've heard they sound much better for bass.. details..etc.. Is it true?I think I have enough space once I have a room only for the HT. What do you think about that?"

A

Anonymous

http://dali-speakers.com/display_content.php/INT/Loudspeakers.html/190/1957

The abovementioned model is desigend for small rooms but unfortunately is discontinued.

A

Anonymous

my neat motive 1's are top drawer for house music..... especially techy stuff

A

Anonymous

my neat motive 1's are top drawer for house music..... especially techy stuff

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
RICARDOVASCO said:
Thanks lindsayt! The Yamaha NS1000 looks a huge bookshelf. Is it a tower or bookshelf?! As I said my options are standard bookshelf line which are small or floorstanding speakers(towers). Im worried more about sound quality than quantity. However, there are other tower options which has a bigger bass cones like 8". Im just wondering if these ones with 8" or 10"cones will have a pure and balanced sound as the Ikon 7 has.

Do you guys think a floorstanding like theses ones are better than Ikon 7?

http://www.jet.com.br/clicksul/detalhes.asp?idproduto=681038

http://www.jet.com.br/clicksul/detalhes.asp?idproduto=553954

http://www.jet.com.br/clicksul/detalhes.asp?idproduto=553955

http://www.jet.com.br/clicksul/detalhes.asp?idproduto=652002

What about Tannoy Revolution DC6T?

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/hi-fi-and-audio/hi-fi-and-av-speakers/tannoy-revolution-dc6t-945268/review

Regards

Yamaha NS1000's are what I'd call medium sized standmounts.

Well executed speakers with 8" bass cones are more likely to sound better for House music than well executed 6 inchers. Whether any particular speaker sounds better than the Ikon 7's will depend on the execution as well as the cone size.

However I think that 8" is still too small. As I said before, I'd be looking for a minimum of 12". However, you or your wife might not be happy to have larger speakers in your listening room.

Using small speakers plus a sub-woofer is one possible solution. I'd personally prefer 2 sub-woofers next to the main speakers for stereo bass instead of mono bass - which would take up as much floor space as 2 proper sized speakers that didn't need sub-woofers.

For best sound quality for House music, without spending a huge amount of money, you're most likely to find that by buying a classic speaker such as the Yamaha NS1000's or Goodmans Magisters, or Celestion Ditton 66's, or Bozak Concert Grands or Symphonys. I don't know how easy it would be for you to hear or buy or import vintage speakers like these in Brazil?

A

Anonymous

Lindsayt,

Do you own a pair of Yamaha NS1000?

They are awesome for classical music! I love their high ends. The last time I listened to them were 17 years ago in Japan.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys. Sorry, I was wrong. The speakers I 've heard and liked a lot were the Ikon 6 (old ones. Not mk2). I've also seen they get 5 stars review against 4 stars from the new Ikon 6 MK2. As I said before , the Dali is very hard to be found in Brazil and very expensive because that (Ikon 6 = U$ 4.300).

Do you guys think the Monitor Audio RX6 , Kef Q700,Acoustic Energy Neo 3 V2 or Acoustic Energy Aelite 3 could match the Ikon 6?

I mean, I can buy them for :

MA RX6 - U$ 2.450

KEF Q700 - U$2.150

AE NEO 3 - U$2.020

AE AELITE 3 -U$2.840

Is the Ikon 6 far better than these others or there is another option I can consider.

Regards

Ricardo

A

Anonymous

I would avoid KEF Q700 among the listed models.

However, in my opinion, none of them will meet your needs. If I had to choose one of them, my choice would go to Acoustic Energy Aelite 3 and Monitor Audio RX6.

About Dali, I've audiotioned most awesome models from this brand, but I haven't heard the model you mentioned yet.

There're a Epos distributor in our country. Epos M16i and M22i floorstanders outperform all those floorstanders and are better suited for you musical tastes (more powerful dynamic sound). Morevorer, these models are more fairly priced than those ones you have in mind. I'm not sure, but, in Brazil, Epos' products are retailed at 1,5 times as much as British reference retail price, whereas Acoustic Energy, KEF, B&W and Dali are 2,5 to 3 times as much.

By the way, this distributor also sales Creek Audio's integrated amps. Epos loudspeakers are natural partners for Creek's amps as they belong to the same group (Michael Creek owns Epos) and were designed together. An integrated amp which I recommend is Creek Destiny 2.

Regards,

A

Anonymous

Hi Ricardo!

I tried to send you an email you thru HTForum but your mail box was full. Please, empty it so that I can contact you.

Regards!

A

Anonymous

Audio Maniac said:
Hi Ricardo!

I tried to send you an email you thru HTForum but your mail box was full. Please, empty it so that I can contact you.

Regards!

Done! Thanks bro!

A

Anonymous

Hi Ricardo!

Have you already auditioned any of those loudspeakers?

Have you contacted Epos' dealer?

A

Anonymous

Audio Maniac said:
Hi Ricardo!

Have you already auditioned any of those loudspeakers?

Have you contacted Epos' dealer?

Hey bro! Im getting crazy about these stuffs! lol

My architect called me today saying I can't buy floor standing speakers lol

She has already projected a furniture for my HT room but she said the "towers"will be too big and she would cut the furniture side to place the speakers. No way..rs

Now Im back to bookshelf world. Im looking foward to see the new gold series from Monitor Audio ( GX100). I know Proac ,Dynaudio,etc.. would be better but I can't buy them here. If I find they will cost 5x the regular price. The Monitor Audio,Kef,etc.. come cheap in Brazil. Even cheaper than in Usa.

Do you guys have other suggestion?

Regards

Ricardo

A

Anonymous

Hey guys. Please, just help me to pull the trigger. I have a list of the speakers I'd buy. They must to be all small but strong and powerful bookshelves to play House Music. They are:

- PMC DB1i

- Proac Studio 100 or 115 ( maybe a used Response D1)

- Dynaudio Focus 110A

- Spendor SA1

- Harbeth ( any model which is on the same range of the above)

- B&W CM5 or PM1 ( I've heard they are not that good for the type of music I do like but I can consider)

- Dali (I just like so much the Ikon 6 tower so I could get a Ikon 1 or 2.. but maybe they are too big and not as strong as the others. I just considered them because I can get them cheap ).

Please, let me know your guys sincere opnion.

Regards

Ricardo

A

Anonymous

Given the size of your space, i reckon Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signatures would work very well indeed.

A

Anonymous

Joelslim said:
Given the size of your space, i reckon Proac Tablette Reference 8 Signatures would work very well indeed.

Thanks Joelslim! Yes. My apartment is quite small. It has 2 bedrooms but I did break one to turn my living room bigger. The space where my HT is located has like 9.. 10 meters ( 3x3 or 3x 3,3) but the whole room( the original living room + the bedroom I broke) has 33 meters. Do you think Tablette would supply these space? I mean, I will listen them seated on the 10 meters space but when I invite some friends, they would stay everywhere in my whole room. Even that I can only go for bookshelf because I have a lot of furnitures.. sofas..etc..

Regards

Ricardo

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
For house music?

As good as the bass is for their size, I think PMC DB1i won't quite have enough deep bass to satisfy. Same goes for the Tablettes and Spendor SA1 (unless you are running a subwoofer too)

TRENDING THREADS