Best dock / charging cradle for 1st Gen iPhone and new iPods / iPhones

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I need a dock for my 1st gen iPhone. Something that will charge it up, output really good quality audio only through 2 phono connections, has a remote control and will be compatable with the new iPods with the changed charging pin as well as my 1st gen iPhone.

The Arcam got the best reviews by miles but it's drawback is obvious, no remote unless you have a Solo. This is quite silly as a massive audiophile market would doubtless have piled in if they'd made it with a remote usuable by all.

So what are the alternatives and what else is in the pipeline? I have heard a rumour that Onkyo will bring out a DS-A3X very soon. Is this true? Will it be any good? I imagine it'll be compatible with the new iPods, but will it be the best choice? Or will Arcam finally bring out a dock with a remote?

Please do advise. Budget is really up to £100 unless pushed!

A

Anonymous

Are you sure about that Messiah? You haven't tried the new 2nd Gen iPod touch in it, have you? The new iPods are exactly where the compatibility issue lies, so either it works with them or it doesn't. We need to answer that question before determining if it meets my (or anyone elses) criteria, wouldn't you say?

Anyone know the answer? Any word on the DS-A3X?

A

Anonymous

I can't recommend the Denon ASD 3N. I find it very slow and tempramental. The mother in-laws i-Pig is better.

Murdo Mathewson

Oct 24, 2007
Visit site
Hi Will

Can I suggest you take a look at Roth Audio's new RothDock? It should hit the shelves in March, and you can see it unveiled at the forthcoming Bristol Show. It's designed with the iPhone strongly in mind - if someone calls you, while you are listening to music, the music fades and you hear the ring-tone through your speakers - and it's also a wireless system. Price will be around £99.

Go here on www.rothaudio.co.uk for more info: http://www.rothaudio.co.uk/docs/products/rothdoc.shtml

I handle UK PR for Roth Audio so feel free to let me know what you think of the RothDock and what it offers.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for that. Very interesting product. Will keep an eye out for a What Hi-Fi review! Anyone out there with any idea whether Arcam will relent and bring out a dock with a remote? Now that would be wonderful news. Much as I'm sure the Roth is excellent for what it does, I don't need wireless transmission, just audiphile (or as good as you can get from an iPod) quality stereo sound out to twin RCAs and a remote control!!!! How could Arcam imagine that people would buy a Solo because of the dock, you'd be more likely to buy the dock because you have a solo and anyway, their product appears to be the only high quality dock on the market and yet they've crossed out 99% of their potential audience by making it Solo only. How stupid can you be?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I agree that it'd be great if Arcam did a dock with wider appeal, but disagree slightly with your point:

'How could Arcam imagine that people would buy a Solo because of the dock'

Arcam's sales of Solos have benefited greatly from being bundled with the dock (and speakers, plus cables) and sold as a complete system in John Lewis etc.

Messiah

Will Harris:Are you sure about that Messiah? You haven't tried the new 2nd Gen iPod touch in it, have you? The new iPods are exactly where the compatibility issue lies, so either it works with them or it doesn't. We need to answer that question before determining if it meets my (or anyone elses) criteria, wouldn't you say?

Anyone know the answer? Any word on the DS-A3X?

Am I sure! Um Yes. I plug it in and sound comes out.

I have offered advice as you asked and got slapped in the face. Oh well. I am not one for having arguments on here so I'm just gonna leave it there. [EDITED BY MODS - PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS MODERATION]

Maybe as the Onkyo dock is not out, you should phone Onkyo.....[EDITED BY MODS]

A

Anonymous

Clare, good point. I guess people will find the Solo more appealing as a "complete" solution.

Has anyone tried the new iPod touch (2nd gen) in the Onkyo DS-A2X? I've heard there are compatability issues with regard to charging. Apparently Apple have moved the charging pin in their very latest iPods, potentially rendering all previously designed docks unable to charge the newest and future iPods.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
There are compatibility issues with many iPod products and newer Touch and iPhone models - checking with manufacturer is the best course of action, as I know there have been some upgrades since the unexpected Apple move.

(PS Please can everyone give and receive advice in spirit of friendship? The world's a grim enough place at the moment! Cheers
emotion-2.gif
)

Messiah

Clare Newsome:
(PS Please can everyone give and receive advice in spirit of friendship? The world's a grim enough place at the moment! Cheers
emotion-2.gif
)

I thought I was!
emotion-2.gif

I apologise if I have caused offence...(offers hand)

A

Anonymous

Any ideas on how to control my iPhone when it's in the bundled dock that came with it? No remote. Can you get one? Or teach a learning remote? Is there a receiver on the iPhone itself to interact with or do all remote controllable docks receive their signal in the dock itself?

A

Anonymous

Onkyo DSA 3 being released soon. No mention of iPhone, 1st or 2nd generation compatability, though it is said to charge the 1st and 2ng generation of iPod Touch, which suggests they've sorted out the charging pin issue. But what about iPhone users?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts