New amp and floorstanders for £1500

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Paul,

What a shame. I thought you had broader shoulders and the ability to acknowledge when you were in error. Just goes to show that one does indeed learn new things each day.

Your " Funny looking floor stander" comment was on the first page. The comment that you later said this about, " My initial comment was flippant, and sorry to everyone if I accidently started this rubbish again".

You made a mistake, we ALL do that.

Incidentally, in case you missed it, the first response on page 1 was from another person who said, "i am in a very similar situation as you and was looking for a similar bit of guidance.". So the recommendations were quite possibly for this person as well????

Thank you for your time.

:wave:

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
relocated said:
You [but I doubt it] and or others may consider this to be pedantic but it goes to the fundamental basis of this thread.

The heart of the matter (imo) is whether small standmounts will have enough scale to fill a room of that size. I think this is more than just about how loud a speaker can go, but whether it has enough bass that it won't get overwhelmed by the area.

What counts as enough bass, is taste and music dependent.......I have big rooms to fill, and it takes either floorstanders or standmounts with a sub, to give the kind of impact that I require.

This is only my experience, which doesn't make it more valid than that of anyone else.

Paul.

Do you think the Amds would satisfy a dance music fan in a massive space? Does your Amds produce a kick that you can feel in your chest at 6 meters?

I was flippant, but I stand by my advice as a dance music fan who knows what bookshelves sound like in a large space.

Unpublished by mods - duplicate

Paul.

Do you think the Amds would satisfy a dance music fan in a massive space? Does your Amds produce a kick that you can feel in your chest at 6 meters?

I was flippant, but I stand by my advice as a dance music fan who knows what bookshelves sound like in a large space.

Unpublished by mods - duplicate

Paul.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Small speakers can be made to fill larger rooms but they will be reliant on a sub in order to do so. I'd stick Modeselektor's "Evil Twin" on to firstly see how low the speaker can reach, secondly to see how well they can pressurise the room with the low frequencies that they can get down to, and also to see if they can hold it together at those higher volumes. There's no standmount I know of that will pass all of those tests with flying colours, and chances are, most will fail on two or all three points.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Paul. said:

Amds, Amds, Amds???????????????????????? :? No you have lost me there Paul. I don't think I have come across Amds doing anything. In fact I don't know any Amds. :doh:

Detail and accuracy, they are a nuisance are they not?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I don't think anybody with an interst in hi Fi would imagine getting chest thumping bass from a standmount at those distances. I can confirm the bass is detailed and precise right up to high volume.

Whereas cheaper floorstanders might well loose the plot before going very loud. There will be more bass but it might well be all over the place.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
jcbrum said:
moon said:
. . . true, but doesn't the OP want a pair of floorstanders and a techy box attached to them ?

No, this is what he said in his opening post . . .

"am I right in thinking floorstanders will be needed for a room this size?"

He then asked for alternative suggestions. I don't think he was right in thinking floorstanders to be mandatory. The person who suggested AVI ADM9RSS speakers was right. They will do the job.

I attested that my personal experience confirmed that.

At the NEC, in one of the major halls, they produced an SPL of 100dB at a distance of 10m, (Ashley phoned me to confirm this today), and the tonal quality was superb, certainly much better than the large 5 foot tall Wilson Benesch floorstanders with which they were compared (probable cost in excess of 10k irrc).

It was a perfectly valid suggestion. imo.

JC

According to this calculator: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

100dbs at 10 metres (32.75 feet) would have meant SPL's of about 120 dbs at 1 metre for a stereo pair.

I thought that the AVI ADM 9's were rated at a maximum of 108 dbs for a single speaker - making them about 111 dbs at 1 metre for a stereo pair?

Where did the extra 9 db maximum sound pressure come from?

Oh, sorry, I forgot. 9 is the answer to life the universe and everything.

T

the record spot

relocated said:
Amds, Amds, Amds???????????????????????? :? No you have lost me there Paul. I don't think I have come across Amds doing anything. In fact I don't know any Amds. :doh:

Detail and accuracy, they are a nuisance are they not?

Not half as annoying as annoying little nitpickers... :poke: :)

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
jcbrum said:
moon said:
. . . true, but doesn't the OP want a pair of floorstanders and a techy box attached to them ?

No, this is what he said in his opening post . . .

"am I right in thinking floorstanders will be needed for a room this size?"

He then asked for alternative suggestions. I don't think he was right in thinking floorstanders to be mandatory. The person who suggested AVI ADM9RSS speakers was right. They will do the job.

I attested that my personal experience confirmed that.

At the NEC, in one of the major halls, they produced an SPL of 100dB at a distance of 10m, (Ashley phoned me to confirm this today), and the tonal quality was superb, certainly much better than the large 5 foot tall Wilson Benesch floorstanders with which they were compared (probable cost in excess of 10k irrc).

It was a perfectly valid suggestion. imo.

JC

According to this calculator: http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

100dbs at 10 metres (32.75 feet) would have meant SPL's of about 120 dbs at 1 metre for a stereo pair.

I thought that the AVI ADM 9's were rated at a maximum of 108 dbs for a single speaker - making them about 111 dbs at 1 metre for a stereo pair?

Where did the extra 9 db maximum sound pressure come from?

Oh, sorry, I forgot. 9 is the answer to life the universe and everything.

Why shoot yourself in the foot/mouth/pen? A really interesting and relevent post until the last line when you fall back into nonsense. Such a shame that you demean yourself like that.

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
moon said:
When I'm listening to my Hi fi at night, after dinner I really really enjoy the distinctly peaty yet mellow taste of FAMOUS GROUSE whisky. It really lingers on one's tongue and slips down a treat making you feel all warm inside. FAMOUS GROUSE the music lovers whiskey.

other brands are available, always read the label, enjoy in moderation

Famous Grouse is indeed one of the best blended whiskies ;)

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Paul. said:
Yep. I made a typo. Its a regular occurrence. Forgive me for miss-spelling the imaginatively named string of letters! Still dodging the question huh?

Paul,

You didn't have an accurate question for me to answer. However I shall tell you what I know and don't know.

Firstly I have no idea what you regard as 'Dance Music', I suspect what you mean is music with electronically produced/enhanced deep bass. Dance music sites seem to suggest that such artistes as Massive Attack, Kraftwerk, The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim and if this is what you mean then I am able to talk from experience. In fact these artists are among my most played music.

Now to massive space, the OP had a 6m x 6m room but with an open to rafters ceiling of unstated height. My room is approx 6.3m x 5m x 3m[high] and I don't consider this to be massive even by the stretch of your imaginings. I sit about 4.5m away from the speaker line and I find the quantity of bass to be acceptable and pleasurable although I am sure that someone who is fixated with boom would want a greater quantity. The quality is another thing altogether, exceptional and I would suggest, much better than from a pair of passive floorstanders and amp for £1500.

My speakers are the AVI ADM 9T which are available with dedicated sub. The ones that have been recommended, AS A POSSIBILITY for the OPand the first responder, are the AVI ADM 9RS or 9RSS which have greater output in the bass.

My speakers have never been called upon to kick me in the chest, at 6 metres or at any other distance,

Now Paul, has anything that I have said helped you at all?

Where did you get the idea that the OP was a fan of dance music? OP said, "I listen to all kinds of music but do like early 90's house music, with lots of piano sections and female vocals!" So listens to all kinds of music, including 90's house and lots of piano and female vocals.

His music choice actually gives greater validity to AVI ADM 9RS/S being suggested, piano and female voice are sublime on my 9s. Unfortunately Paul your judgement and questioning has been derailed by not reading and recalling the given information accurately and therefore jumping to inaccurate conclusions.

As has been suggested the AVI ADM 9RS/S could well be the best recommendation because even if more bass were needed the dedicated sub could be purchased later. Quality maintained just extended down a bit.

Where do you go from a budget pair of floorstanders and amp? Back to square one and with time and £1500 wasted, apart from the resale value.

I trust Paul, that all the above helps you and that you have taken the time to read what I have said. Not what you want to think I have said.

:cheers:

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
It is, of course, unthinkable that someone may not like the sound of the ADMs?

Personally, I'd think the Dynaudio Xeos would be a better choice if you want actives. Quality Danish product, using in-house drivers, plenty of dealers, plus plenty of products which means they should be around for a while. Still think they're a bit small for the space.

Thought of Klipsch floorstanders? Easy to drive, not demanding of amps, nice big sound.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Just thought, Acoustic Energy AE2's might fit the bill if he did not mind standmounts then, wont do the deepest bass though but what is there is tight, punchy and very well controlled. Other than that, the Kord Tornado/Quested 8" Monitor may well do very well.

Of course, none of those look that attractive compared to the modern 'lifestyle' sized speakers.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
It is, of course, unthinkable that someone may not like the sound of the ADMs?.

Why, ever, would you say such a preposterous thing?

There are, or were, people on this very forum who decry the sound of ADMs. I think JD doesn't like them, hopefully if this is the case he has had a good listen to them. I don't think he is a man of prejudice.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
relocated said:
Why shoot yourself in the foot/mouth/pen? A really interesting and relevent post until the last line when you fall back into nonsense. Such a shame that you demean yourself like that.

Neither you nor jcbrum have answered my question and explained where the extra 9dbs at the NEC came from?

Of course it's nonsense that 9 is the answer to life the universe and everything. Just as it's nonsense that 42 is. Just as it's nonsense that a towel is the single most important piece of equipment for intergalactic hitch-hikers.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
relocated said:
Paul. said:
Yep. I made a typo. Its a regular occurrence. Forgive me for miss-spelling the imaginatively named string of letters! Still dodging the question huh?

Paul,

You didn't have an accurate question for me to answer. However I shall tell you what I know and don't know.

Firstly I have no idea what you regard as 'Dance Music', I suspect what you mean is music with electronically produced/enhanced deep bass. Dance music sites seem to suggest that such artistes as Massive Attack, Kraftwerk, The Prodigy, The Chemical Brothers, Fatboy Slim and if this is what you mean then I am able to talk from experience. In fact these artists are among my most played music.

Now to massive space, the OP had a 6m x 6m room but with an open to rafters ceiling of unstated height. My room is approx 6.3m x 5m x 3m[high] and I don't consider this to be massive even by the stretch of your imaginings. I sit about 4.5m away from the speaker line and I find the quantity of bass to be acceptable and pleasurable although I am sure that someone who is fixated with boom would want a greater quantity. The quality is another thing altogether, exceptional and I would suggest, much better than from a pair of passive floorstanders and amp for £1500.

My speakers are the AVI ADM 9T which are available with dedicated sub. The ones that have been recommended, AS A POSSIBILITY for the OPand the first responder, are the AVI ADM 9RS or 9RSS which have greater output in the bass.

My speakers have never been called upon to kick me in the chest, at 6 metres or at any other distance,

Now Paul, has anything that I have said helped you at all?

Where did you get the idea that the OP was a fan of dance music? OP said, "I listen to all kinds of music but do like early 90's house music, with lots of piano sections and female vocals!" So listens to all kinds of music, including 90's house and lots of piano and female vocals.

His music choice actually gives greater validity to AVI ADM 9RS/S being suggested, piano and female voice are sublime on my 9s. Unfortunately Paul your judgement and questioning has been derailed by not reading and recalling the given information accurately and therefore jumping to inaccurate conclusions.

As has been suggested the AVI ADM 9RS/S could well be the best recommendation because even if more bass were needed the dedicated sub could be purchased later. Quality maintained just extended down a bit.

Where do you go from a budget pair of floorstanders and amp? Back to square one and with time and £1500 wasted, apart from the resale value.

I trust Paul, that all the above helps you and that you have taken the time to read what I have said. Not what you want to think I have said.

:cheers:

1500 pounds wasted ..... Hardly

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Relocated will you be coming to Scalford on the 3rd of March 2013? Will any AVI owners be coming to Scalford this year by car?

If you are, then please bring your AVI's to my large room where we can spend a few minutes comparing them against my large passive speakers. This will then allow you to speak with some authority on how AVI's compare against decent large passive speakers in a large room.

Would it be fair to say that the expectation that AVI owners have is that my speakers will have more bass, but that it won't be as tight as AVI bass and it won't be as detailed? Also that you expect the AVI's to have more clarity in the midrange? Better imaging? That the AVI's will sound equally or more dynamic? That the AVI's will sound clearer and more natural in the treble because they will have less tizz? Well, let's find out...

T

the record spot

relocated said:

Sorry, missing the connection between £1500 wasted when spent on a pair of good floorstanderrs and an amp. "Budget" is your choice of words Ward. Do you want to clarify that for my purposes please?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
The Scalford event sounds like something I might enjoy. Never been interested in the more conventional hi Fi shows.

But,having looked in google maps I see its over 2 1/2 hours away.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts