New amp and floorstanders for £1500

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
jjbomber said:
relocated said:
So you really ought to read a little more carefully, brush up on your mental retention and regurgitation skills or stop trying to make conflict where there need be none. In other words, grow up.

So following on from your grown up comments....

If someone wants a motorbke for £6,000 and someone suggests a car for £14,000, would you think this is normal? That's where you are coming from. As they sat, AVI is not the only fruit.

If you went back and read the whole thread[?] then, brainpower permitting, you and anyone else would see that my comments are wholly in context. Especialy as the OP was at the outset of his music streaming.

Funnily enough the OP had NO problem with what I said, so I don't see why you should.

AVI is indeed not the only fruit. It is the 'fruit' that I own and know rather well and it is the 'fruit' that I am best placed to talk about. After 40 years and too many £££££££££££ to count on hifi, I think I am able to tell whether something is worth recommending.

Now pop your tricycle into the shed, get washed and off to bed with you. :wave:

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey mate! It says floorstanders in the title. Also a big room with high ceilings. He's right, floorstanders or big standmounts are the go. Small speakers are going to be lost.

Decent size for Maggies, though, should work while, and then he'll really hear music!

A

Anonymous

Wow, thanks for all the links. Some serious thinking to do.

I listen to all kinds of music but do like early 90's house music, with lots of piano sections and female vocals!

A

Anonymous

I listen to all kinds of music but do like early 90's house music, with lots of piano sections and female vocals!

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
The answer to life, the universe and everything isn't 42. It's 9 or 40. For these are the model numbers used by AVI. Any hi-fi query and the answer's 9. Or 40. Doesn't matter what your room size is. Or your taste in music or hi-fi. The answer's always ADM9. Or 40. In the AVI universe anyway.

T

the record spot

DAN.COWLAM said:

Hi Dan, the 2050i is a pretty impressive speaker that'll deliver in spades. They'll work with modestly powered amps (they're 91db I think) but put them in with something that's going to deliver a good bit of power to control those drive units and the scale of these impressive speakers will surprise most folk I think. Huge sound, but not leaden-footed. Very impressive for the money and amp-wise you'd need to try a few out but think Onkyo 9070 (£900), Harman Kardon's HK990 (£700-£1300 depending on where you buy) and probably a few others I can't recall offhand.

They'll go a treat with house music and will handle piano nicely (the time I heard them they had a classical piano piece on in the shop). If you route your DVD player through your stereo, then they'll be huge for movie soundtracks as well.

Big fan of Q Acoustics speakers, if I have the room such as yours for a pair of larger floorstanders one day, then they'd be on the list no question. Good call. :)

EDIT: As an alternative suggestion, try out, or at least shortlist for demo, some of the Onkyo AV amp range - there's good deals now on the 616 and 717, both of which will enable you to cost-effectively bi-amp, and deliver additional functionality (multiple digital inputs, which the amps I mentioned earlier also have) that'll let you hook up other devices via coax or optical inputs. They'll also offer you network connectivity which is a huge bonus and features like onboard Spotify which they've integrated into their recent range of gear.

fatman

Nov 11, 2007
Visit site
Drop Allan Hendry an email at Monopulse. He sold me some ex-dem model S for a very good price. Ask about the model A too for your size room - don't be put off by the price on the website!!!

He guarantees the speakers and will follow up with several emails to see how you are getting on with them. Highly decent man to deal with.

At least take a look at the website and see if you like the look of them!

For that money, I'd also want to demo some Epos speakers - Epic 5, Elan 30/35. Would work very nice with a Creek Amp. Lintone were selling the 5350 half price recently....

(haha, just read your first post again to check details and see Cno's early reply for the Epics and Creek)

New Arcam Amp just got a blazing review too.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
IMO Option 1 is trying a cheaper amp around 70-100 w/pc with an entertaining sound (cambridge, yamaha, onkyo etc) and spend more of your budget on some nice big floorstanders like second hand/ Ex Display Proac Studio 140, dynaudio x36, B&W CM9, KEF R700 (B&W and R700 in budget at frank harvey) etc Then upgrade amp later.. Although my theory has always been get the amp you like first then match speakers.. In this case thats A LOT of room to fill and all those speakers would be fantastic and would be down to personal preference/ synergy which works best..

Option 2: Demo some amps and find one you really get along with (again around 70w p/c+) and then find some big floorstanders maybe second hand.. Not exactly my strong point but i'm sure some guys on here could reccomend some.. I have TDL Studio 10's in my living room that i bought 10 years ago (when i was a wee lad) as a set with cambridge audio and still love the big entertaining sound.. You can pick those speakers up second hand for under £100??!!!!!!!!!!

Hope this helps and good luck sir! :dance: :rockout: :cheers:

poldo

Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
What about a 2nd hand Cambridge Audio 840 paired with some 2nd hand Monitor Audio Rx8 or B&W 683? For your room size you will have a nice sound for a nice price.

I think the Cambridge Audio and Yamaha stereo amps are one of the best value amps.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
lindsayt said:
The answer to life, the universe and everything isn't 42. It's 9 or 40. For these are the model numbers used by AVI. Any hi-fi query and the answer's 9. Or 40. Doesn't matter what your room size is. Or your taste in music or hi-fi. The answer's always ADM9. Or 40. In the AVI universe anyway.

Unfortunately this is where paranoia takes you.

The answer to everything is not the AVI ADM 9RS/S or AVI ADM 40. But in many instances it is at least a consideration and as so few people are aware of the benefit of actives then owners of AVI ADMs put forward the suggestion. Not to wind you passive people up, because if you are as happy as I am then that is BRILLIANT. But because most of us[most=speculation] have years of 'not-quite-right' passive ownership that we have tinkered with to try and get the sound just right.

Since moving to AVI ADMs, I [and they] have found a solution to their wanderings. Mine arrived, unpacked, placed on stands, connect to a source, to each other, power up and away you go. 13 months of the most regular use I have ever put a music system to and I only ever listen without doing anything else. No wishing this was a bit better, would a new cable/mains cable/mains conditioner etc etc etc make a difference? Just 100% listening pleasure and rediscovering my music collection. Cheapest year on cd purchasing ever, too many old cds being rediscovered.

I have to ask, what are you so scared about? The AVI ADMs won't eat your children, ravish your wife or constantly bleed your wallet dry. They were the answer to my 40 year journey, I was made aware of them via this forum and I am just passing on my experience so that others might not waste years and thousands £££££££££££ like I did.

Thank you for, hopefully, taking the time to read what I have said.

:cheer:

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
They're just speakers, mate. There are better actives, there are better passives, there are worse actives, there are worse passives. They're not one size fits all, and in this case, size of the room is what counts.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Hey mate! It says floorstanders in the title. Also a big room with high ceilings. He's right, floorstanders or big standmounts are the go. Small speakers are going to be lost.

Decent size for Maggies, though, should work while, and then he'll really hear music!

The AVI ADM 9RS/S may well not get lost at all. Before owning the AVI ADM 9Ts I would have automatically thought that only a floorstander would do in this sort of scenario.

It is a suggestion, not a directive.

:)

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
relocated said:
lindsayt said:

I have to ask, what are you so scared about? The AVI ADMs won't eat your children, ravish your wife or constantly bleed your wallet dry. They were the answer to my 40 year journey, I was made aware of them via this forum and I am just passing on my experience so that others might not waste years and thousands £££££££££££ like I did.

Thank you for, hopefully, taking the time to read what I have said.

:cheer:

They also won't fill a 6 x 6m room (standmounts within budget).. Thats the point.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
When I'm listening to my Hi fi at night, after dinner I really really enjoy the distinctly peaty yet mellow taste of FAMOUS GROUSE whisky. It really lingers on one's tongue and slips down a treat making you feel all warm inside. FAMOUS GROUSE the music lovers whiskey.

other brands are available, always read the label, enjoy in moderation

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts