Marantz PM6005 Amp and NA6005 Networked Player - Viable Solution For Me?

novaf4

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi all

I'm considering buying a Marantz NA6005 Networked Audio Player along with a Marantz PM6005 Amp. I would like to describe my intended set up in the hope that someone here will be able to advise me and confirm what will be possible and anything that won't. Thanks in advance.

Current Set Up:
- Denon Amp in lounge
- Wired bookshelf speakers in lounge
- Wired bookshelf speakers in kitchen
- Switch module to select lounge, kitchen or both
- Amp wired to TV's 'Audio Out'
- Amp wired to 'Creative Sound Blaster' wireless module which works in conjunction with a USB receiver in my MacBook Pro.

This set up allows me to do the following:

1. Use Spotify on Macbook Pro to wirelessly play all my Spotify music through speakers.
2. Play all my bought MP3's that reside in a folder on my MacBook Pro, through Spotify 'Local Files' facility.
3. Use iTunes to play my bought MP3's. (I don't do this much as I use the Spotify 'local files' facility for this)
4. Play TV through speakers by selecting a different input on the Denon amp.

This has been fine but now it's time for a total update. Here's why:

1. My partner would like to play music without relying on my MacBook Pro being on hand.
2. The Denon amp has gone wrong.
3. I'd like to buy an iPad Mini 2 to be the main 'control center' for the music - wired and wireless

I considered the Sonos system (using their wireless speaker set up) but after extensive research I decided that it wasn't going to suit my needs because the Sonos app that has to be used does not support enough of Spotify's features which I find quite shocking. I want to be able to use the Spotify and iTunes apps, not Sonos's own limited version.

So, I've now decided to keep my wired speaker set up but to replace my broken amp. Having researched amps I've stumbled across the Marantz item and then I spotted the networked Marantz item which side by side look like they should do the job perfectly for me, but it's always hard to tell before buying!

The new idea is therefore as follows:

- Marantz PM6005 Amp and Marantz NA6005 Networked Audio Player in lounge
- Wired bookshelf speakers in lounge
- Wired bookshelf speakers in kitchen
- Same wired switch module to select lounge, kitchen or both
- Amp wired to TV's 'Optical Output'
- iPad docked (kept charged) near Marantz units. Spotify and iTunes apps on the iPad to control music wirelessly. General idea would be to lift the iPad off the dock and use it to control the music wirelessly like a large remote control.

Here are my questions:

1. Will these items make my idea work?
2. Using these items, what wireless method available would work best whilst offering the best sound quality?
3. Let's assume that the MacBook Pro is not part of the equation. Will the iPad need to have all my bought MP3's stored on it in order for the Spotify app to play 'Local Files' and if so where can they be stored on the iPad as the iPad doesn't have folders like the MacBook Pro does? If "yes" then this will determine which size storage of iPad model I buy. Another way to ask this question is how can the iPad play my bought MP3's? Or is the only solution for me to do it the way iTunes wants everyone to do which is to store the MP3's in the iTunes folder and therefore they would be available on another device (iPad) even if the MacBook Pro is not available? If I'm wrong with this comment then how can iTunes play on another device if the MP3's are on the other device? Ideally I'd just use Spotify.
4. I'd like the MacBook Pro to also play Spotify and iTunes through this set up wirelessly. Will either of the Marantz items need to be switched to a different mode for this or will it not care what device is playing music?
5. I don't understand anything about creating a wireless network or what it's for where music is concerned. Do I need to consider this?
6. Should I plug in an ethernet cable from my Virgin broadband box directly to the Marantz Network Player? I can do this easily if it would be the best method.
7. Could the iPad play music plugged in and unplugged without changing anything on the Marantz items? If plugged in - how and where?
8. I thought I'd add this question in case any speaker experts out there see this. What pair of bookshelf speakers would you recommend for this set up for a 16x16ft lounge? Under £250. I don't expect answers to this so any would be a bonus.

I really hope by this post that I've explained my requirements well. All things considered it really does become a logistical nightmare. Especially when one is about to install a new bookcase and a speaker shelf and needs to decide what goes where!

Many thanks
GB

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't buy any network player today.. MacMini, yes. ( same price as NA6005, btw) connect that to Marantz amp via optical cable and all your headaches gone.. control your MacMini from your iPad or iPhone via control apps or use your iPad as MacMini monitor. Future proof too... on this set up you can stream, watch, listen whatever out there available

speakers - s/h Dali Zensor 3.. but - with a bit of luck/ patience - I would get seconhand Dynaudio's DM 2/7

Paulq

Dec 2, 2007
Visit site
lpv said:
I wouldn't buy any network player today.. MacMini, yes. ( same price as NA6005, btw) connect that to Marantz amp via optical cable and all your headaches gone.. control your MacMini from your iPad or iPhone via control apps or use your iPad as MacMini monitor. Future proof too... on this set up you can stream, watch, listen whatever out there available

speakers - s/h Dali Zensor 3.. but - with a bit of luck/ patience - I would get seconhand Dynaudio's DM 2/7

Can you please explain more about how that setup would work? Where would you store the music if you didn't want to use iTunes but used FLAC - just in the 'Music' folder and use something like VLC?

Then how specifically can you connect the MacMini to the PM6005? The MacMini has Thunderbolt and USB outputs only?

Finally, how would you control it? Using what apps?

Sorry for all the questions - just curious so please let me have the idiots guide *biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts