Looking for a kitchen system - options and advice needed

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I want to update my ancient music system in the kitchen.

The objective is to improve sound quality while maintaining (or improving) the ease of use.

Must haves: The system must be able to play all music from a macmini itunes library (which includes DRMed and not DRMedAACs, mp3s,mostly ALAC up to 24/96 (down sampled playback or skipping a track is OK but just stopping is not). The user should be able to easily select any music (by artist, album or playlist) and play it with minimum number of steps – not exceeding the current. Particular focus is on this aspect – the new system must not complicate the process and preferably simplify it. If the system powers down automatically it should wake up by itself if music is sent to it. If it does not power down it must have very low power consumption when not playing.

Nice to haves: Preference for active speakers. White/silver sleek modern styling. Least number of boxes and cables, including power supplies.

Budget: Unlimited, but the less the better, other things being equal.

Currently, the music is played locally from an 3rd Gen ipod (which has all music library copied to it) via a small speaker dock. The current operation is: the dock is permanently plugged in, the ipod is permanently in the dock. 1. Switch dock on, 2. Wake ipod by a touch, 3 select music (maybe several steps here). 4 press play. To sitch off: 1. Press stop 2. Switch dock off.

Ideally, I want a system with two speakers, with own amplification and own touch screen which can pull music from the library wirelessly and play all of the files (i.e. no need to bring in and use additional hardware e.g. iphone to control it and/or send music to it).

What currently available systems will allow the above?

What do you think of this?

http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/raumfeld-audio-streaming/attrib%5B71%5D-1289/attrib%5B75%5D-1335/f-1/o-bestresult.html

http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/raumfeld-audio-streaming/multiroom-systems.html

http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/raumfeld-audio-streaming/nr-streaming-high-end-70.html

http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/raumfeld-audio-streaming/streaming-starter-sets.html

Supports 24/96 playback, Apple lossless etc. & goes to sleep when not in use.

AlmaataKZ said:
Ideally, I want a system with two speakers, with own amplification and own touch screen which can pull music from the library wirelessly and play all of the files (i.e. no need to bring in and use additional hardware e.g. iphone to control it and/or send music to it). What currently available systems will allow the above?

This is a difficult one.
This system will satisfy most of your requirements, except for the fact that you need a controller:

http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/raumfeld-audio-streaming/raumfeld-speaker-s-(sog)-p6709.html

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
What about connecting your ipod to a denon DM39 with a decent set of small speakers? That way you get a decent radio as well.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Surely the obvious choice for you is ADM9s (I think gloss white is an option). Just plug in the Mac Mini to it's onboard DAC.

There are the Dynaudio Xeo 3s but they have a seperate DAC/transmitter that needs it's own mains connector. (Gloss white though.)

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
What do you think of this? http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/raumfeld-audio-streaming/attrib%5B71%5D-1289/attrib%5B75%5D-1335/f-1/o-bestresult.html http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/raumfeld-audio-streaming/multiroom-systems.html http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/raumfeld-audio-streaming/nr-streaming-high-end-70.html http://www.teufelaudio.co.uk/raumfeld-audio-streaming/streaming-starter-sets.html Supports 24/96 playback, Apple lossless etc. & goes to sleep when not in use.

just looking at these. They all need an additional base and a controller - eitherva dedicated one or an idevice. Additionally, with the separate speakers options, which I would prefet and put high on cupboards, the volume control knob cannot be reached.

otherwise quite good products.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
BronC said:
What about connecting your ipod to a denon DM39 with a decent set of small speakers? That way you get a decent radio as well.

I actually have a dm38. Just tried but it does not power or playback from the old ipod via usb. The ipod is too old.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
It's probably totally wrong for you, but just in case it isn't: http://www.whathifi.com/review/linn-kiko

I think it is a good system. Especially neat is that speakers are active but do not need power cables. But its tiny screen is hopeless so it needs an additional controller. Also it has loads of stuff that I do not need.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Maybe use a ipad mini as source, using Home Sharing so you can stream all your tunes from the mac mini. You can then use all the other apps it has as well, like Tune in and iplayer etc . It has a nice display and perfect for the kitchen. It can also be wall mounted.

Take a mini jack lead straight into something simple with one input like a hidden mini T amp which use ****** all power. Then connect to some speakers of your choise for the kitchen.

My kitchen system is Ipad> T amp> KEF 2001.5. simples

All my speaker cables are hidden in the walls

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
Surely the obvious choice for you is ADM9s (I think gloss white is an option). Just plug in the Mac Mini to it's onboard DAC.

There are the Dynaudio Xeo 3s but they have a seperate DAC/transmitter that needs it's own mains connector. (Gloss white though.)

macmini is in a different room, so I would need an airport express to feed them + a controller. Still, this is an option.

xeo 3 needs a usb sender to which I think I will have to manually switch macminis output every time I want music in the kitchen. And then back. Not suitable. EDIT unless i connect the transmitter to minijack while normal macmini output to usb. I hope the analog out of macmini always outputs the same signal as goes to usb??

another workaround for xeo would be feed the transmitter from an airport express and use airplay. But it is clumsy.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
moon said:
Maybe use a ipad mini as source, using Home Sharing so you can stream all your tunes from the mac mini. You can then use all the other apps it has as well, like Tune in and iplayer etc . It has a nice display and perfect for the kitchen. It can also be wall mounted.

Take a mini jack lead straight into something simple with one input like a hidden mini T amp which use ****** all power. Then connect to some speakers of your choise for the kitchen.

yes, this is a very good and straightforward option. But I want to avoid having to bring idevices into the kitchen to be able to play music there. The kitchen system should work on its own.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
It seems to me your major limiting factor is the desire for a touchscreen on the unit, and consequently not controlling it by a remote such as an idevice. So SBT plus actives of choice?

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
these might or might not be rubbish but do have lots of inputs and come in different colours

http://www.rothaudio.co.uk/docs/products_09/OLi_POWA-5.shtml

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
moon said:

yes, this is a very good and straightforward option. But I want to avoid having to bring idevices into the kitchen to be able to play music there. The kitchen system should work on its own.

yeah I see, but I am suggesting having the ipad permanently in the kitchen, wall mounted and all futuristic like. :). like mine is

will try and post a photo

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
moon said:
AlmaataKZ said:
moon said:

yeah I see, but I am suggesting having the ipad permanently in the kitchen, wall mounted and all futuristic like. :). like mine is

will try and post a photo

wow. I am not sure I can afford that! :)

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Indeed, which the OP doesn't want to do. There's a general move *away* from on-unit control, so I'm not sure there's a product which ticks all the boxes. Closest is my suggestion of SBT plus actives, although obviously even SBT is now defunct. Otherwise maybe Olive but I don't think that's a network player.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
If they've improved reliability and UI then that looks like a good option then. The angle of the screen, which is odd for a conventional hifi setup, could work very well in a kitchen.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Indeed, which the OP doesn't want to do. There's a general move *away* from on-unit control, so I'm not sure there's a product which ticks all the boxes. Closest is my suggestion of SBT plus actives, although obviously even SBT is now defunct. Otherwise maybe Olive but I don't think that's a network player.

indeed. the most affordable, largest-touchscreen, excellent functionality device is no more...

Hifi makers assume (or have user preferece study data) we are all glued to our portable devices. I say, if I like using them it does not mean I am happy to have to use them!

as to Olive, I do not have any experience of them. I remember reading user feedback about how poorely they worked interface-wise. I also consider them too expensive.

I am currently leaning towards something like this:

Speakers: Genelc 6010A – small active, RCA input with sensitivity and bass adjustment, bracket mounted on top of cupboards. Power via cable with a switch located under cupboards.

6010A_14_left_view_w_287_270_100.jpg
6010A_16_back_view_w_287_270_100.jpg

Source: Airport express, analog jack out to split RCA. Located on top of cupboards, connected to wifi network and powered permanently on.

Control: Old 2nd Gen ipod touch, Remote app to browse music and activate airplay speakers. Permanently located in the kitchen, either docked or cabled (for charging only – the battery is not good at all by now).

HT1353_ipodtouchlate2009.jpg

Alternative speakers are: Genelec 8020B, Adam Audio Artist 3 or 5, AVI ADM 9RS

Another option is SBT + actives.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts