Looking for a kitchen system - options and advice needed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I thought you had a dislike of olive, which is why I didn't mention earlier. This seems to be a new generation, so maybe problems have been fixed, but agree expensive. Given your docked touch idea I had been thinking of suggesting the thing with the best screen, a mini laptop! Then dac and actives or adm9s for neat system. Alternatively a permanently docked 7" tablet may be more satisfying than the touch, although I guess more pricey. I think SBT plus actives is best for you, especially as you were happy with this combo with your 50s.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
bigboss said:
When funds allow, you can go for an iPad Mini or iPad 2 (available for less than £300) permanently docked as suggested before! Or buy it when you or your friend / relative visits the US.

good thinking!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
What about the Creative apt-x Bluetooth dongle (£40) for iPod playing Bluetooth to apt-x speakers (£80). If you get the Conran dock (about £80) you can stream and dock to the same speaker.Creative also do their Android tablet for £60 which has apt-x Bluetooth audio so if you can see your music via uPnP then you can have a 7" touchscreen tablet as uPnP render streaming to the speaker via Bluetooth.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Given your docked touch idea I had been thinking of suggesting the thing with the best screen, a mini laptop! Then dac and actives or adm9s for neat system. Alternatively a permanently docked 7" tablet may be more satisfying than the touch, although I guess more pricey. I think SBT plus actives is best for you, especially as you were happy with this combo with your 50s.

what I am trying to achieve is that when the system is installed and I am showing to my wife how to use it (and given that currently it is simply several straightforward clicks) I want her immediate raction to be 'oh, very nice!', rather than 'hmmmm, it was a bit better before...' She is far from being a gadget fan so it has to be super simple. same as before or simpler. Walk into the kitchen at 6am - power on, click on the screen for a playlist, hit play, coffee on etc. it also has to be small and completely out of the way. Our kitchen is tight for space for niceities. having things like laptops etc is not going to work. Even though I have one gathering dust since getting an ipad!

just listened to the genelecs in a shop. They sound great and for the size - fantastic!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
She is not really using it, it is usually me. I cannot say she enjoys it (gadgets and enjoy for her are not compatible words). But she can use it.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
tino said:
What about the Creative apt-x Bluetooth dongle (£40) for iPod playing Bluetooth to apt-x speakers (£80). If you get the Conran dock (about £80) you can stream and dock to the same speaker.Creative also do their Android tablet for £60 which has apt-x Bluetooth audio so if you can see your music via uPnP then you can have a 7" touchscreen tablet as uPnP render streaming to the speaker via Bluetooth.

need to look at this

Check this out:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/will-this-be-the-sbt-substitute-or-a-all-new-gismo

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/olive-announces-worlds-first-all-in-one-home-music-player/

http://www.indiegogo.com/OliveONE

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Yes, looked at this yesterday - and did not like the proposition at all! Interesting, but if you think about it -

Very evasive language about what it will be and how it will work, no technical detail, input to design limited to colour only (!?), expensive, I do not need the Tshirts and the hotel nights! Not interested.

In the meantime, the Genelecs got delivered this morning...

8272167440_9ff109fb99_d.jpg

See 'my system' thread for installation, set-up and impressions.

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
AlmaataKZ said:
Yes, looked at this yesterday - and did not like the proposition at all! Interesting, but if you think about it -

Very evasive language about what it will be and how it will work, no technical detail, input to design limited to colour only (!?), expensive, I do not need the Tshirts and the hotel nights! Not interested.

In the meantime, the Genelecs got delivered this morning...

8272167440_9ff109fb99_d.jpg

See 'my system' thread for installation, set-up and impressions.

:clap: nice move, you wont be leaving the kitchen..... can I have a burger please

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts