New amp and floorstanders for £1500

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
J

jcbrum

jjbomber said:
jcbrum said:
Poor old Ashley is very sensitive, and easily gets upset.

I think it's you that should be upset. You say that you went to the Bristol Show and your cult leader says that normal people don't go there. :grin:

I was invited there to explain to audiophiles how to use a computer as a music source.

The place was full of vinyl nutters with valve amplifiers, or ridiculously over-priced Linn and Naim CD based systems, and huge boom and tizz loudspeakers.

Judging by the lack of financial success by the traders who backed the Bristol Show I'm inclined to think there is some truth in Ashley's theory.

JC

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
moon said:
Well the ADAM's look like a far better option.

How so? Less power and a similar frequency response. Not to say they aren't good, I've only ever heard one pair of Adam's.

Given the Op's budget seems to have gone up, the ADMs plus sub may be in range, which I would choose over just about anything. He wouldn't need a dac/pre either.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
The OP has already said he doesn't want active mate. He's going with one of the Kef floorstanders, and they're really good speakers, irrespective of whether they're active or passive.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
The OP has already said he doesn't want active mate. He's going with one of the Kef floorstanders, and they're really good speakers, irrespective of whether they're active or passive.

I don't think the OP matters any more.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Ah, must've missed that amongst all the noise. Hope he gets a big amp to go with them given the room size, if he wants to turn it up every now and then. 100 watts for 80db with 15db headroom, 315 watts for 85db with 15db headroom. Louder than that, forget it. I've assumed a 5 meter listening distance.

Power requirements calculated here.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
House music like all electronic dance music requires lots of deep bass to sound best. This means you'll want to use either big speakers on their own or small speakers with a subwoofer.

I didn't recommend the ADM9's earlier in this thread because the OP said he listens to electronic dance music and wanted lots of deep bass. Now that his budget has gone up he can afford the ADM9's used together with a subwoofer which (IMO) seems like an exellent option.

I still think that the Event Opals would be a very good option too. Well, that's if you don't think they're too fugly anyway.

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
DAN.COWLAM said:
Thank you for all the suggestions,

To be honest I lost a bit of interest in reading the posts when it just turned into a battle between the active and passive boys.

I maybe wrong for not trying the actives but I wish to stick with traditional floor standers

I particularly like the look of the kef r500s, or maybe the r700s, I realise this blows the budget but the more I research the more I want!

I will be having a demo at the weekend, what's a good amp pairing with the kef's?

I still like the options the rotel ra12 gives but is It powerful enough?

Dan

Just in case you guys missed this in all the excitement.

The Rotel is 60w into 8 ohm so should be fine. You might want to consider the Creek Evolution at 80W and the NAD 356 too.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Craig M. said:
Ah, must've missed that amongst all the noise. Hope he gets a big amp to go with them given the room size, if he wants to turn it up every now and then. 100 watts for 80db with 15db headroom, 315 watts for 85db with 15db headroom. Louder than that, forget it. I've assumed a 5 meter listening distance.

Power requirements calculated here.

Craig M, maybe you can explain something?

When I use the Crown calculator you linked to and put in 100dbs at a listener distance of 10 metres with 0 dbs of headroom and take a guess at AVI ADM 9 sensitivity of 85 to 88 dbs/2.83v/1m I get crazy figures for the power requirements of 3162 watts to 1585 watts. Can you explain how the ADM 9's were able to get 100 dbs at 10 metres at the NEC?

T

the record spot

jcbrum said:
Poor old Ashley is very sensitive, and easily gets upset.

JC

Too right JC. Mind you, subjectivity in audio show reviews from you lot; bloody ironic if you ask me! :cheers:

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
An explination, 100dB could have been the peak (once) or some sweet bending the laws of physics

Anyway, it would had been interesting to hear some of the AVI speakes at Scalford had any of the owners signed up, there were a pair of the ADM9's at the first one IIRC. Sounded OK.

J

jcbrum

lindsayt said:
Can you explain how the ADM 9's were able to get 100 dbs at 10 metres at the NEC?

Yes . . .

1. You use the loudest track you can find.

2. You stand 10 metres in front of them and increase the volume to max.

3. Press the button on the SPL meter.

I watched it happening. It was very loud, but they didn't burst. We all thought they might.

JC

p.s. It might have been the ex-dem pair, which Max bought.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
richardw42 said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
You may not, but many others do.

A 5 hour round trip ?

In this country.

5 hours is nothing can take me that long to get to Heathrow and back and that is only 140 miles. Last August went to Scotland that was about 10 hours one way. Also went to DEvon that was about 5 hours one way.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
DAN.COWLAM said:
Hi everyone.

I have just moved house and am going to replace my amp and speakers to suit a new larger room, the space is 6m x 6m with the ceiling open to the underside of the rafters and the floor is tiled, am I right in thinking floorstanders will be needed for a room this size?

This may or may not have been picked up on already, but your room is going to be quite 'live' given its equal dimensions and reflective surfaces.

Probably the most important part of your system in this instance is going to be dealing with the acoustics in the room.

I wouldn't say that floorstanders would be 'necessary' and indeed, floorstanders have just the same drivers as their standmount counterparts, they are not intrinsically louder, but perhaps portray bass differently. There are plenty of standmount speakers that would be perfectly suited to you requirements, once you have sorted out the potential acoustic problems of the room.

Think thick rugs on the floor, heavy curtains, drapes and maybe acoustic panels on the walls are the sort of thing that you will need. It sounds complicated, but is rather simple, although it is often overlooked as one of the most important parts of any system.

If the acoustics are not right, any system in this room will sound harsh and generally unpleasant.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Overdose said:
DAN.COWLAM said:
Hi everyone.

I have just moved house and am going to replace my amp and speakers to suit a new larger room, the space is 6m x 6m with the ceiling open to the underside of the rafters and the floor is tiled, am I right in thinking floorstanders will be needed for a room this size?

This may or may not have been picked up on already, but your room is going to be quite 'live' given its equal dimensions and reflective surfaces.

Probably the most important part of your system in this instance is going to be dealing with the acoustics in the room.

I wouldn't say that floorstanders would be 'necessary' and indeed, floorstanders have just the same drivers as their standmount counterparts, they are not intrinsically louder, but perhaps portray bass differently. There are plenty of standmount speakers that would be perfectly suited to you requirements, once you have sorted out the potential acoustic problems of the room.

Think thick rugs on the floor, heavy curtains, drapes and maybe acoustic panels on the walls are the sort of thing that you will need. It sounds complicated, but is rather simple, although it is often overlooked as one of the most important parts of any system.

If the acoustics are not right, any system in this room will sound harsh and generally unpleasant.

they may have the same components but often have twice the mid/bass drivers or seperate bass, mid drivers and larger cab meaning they can project a lot more volume in comparison.. I agree on acoustics, I had laminated room with few soft furnishings and was horrible.. Rug at the floor reflection point will be the essential first step IMO

TRENDING THREADS