Best Audio Connection

belker

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I know it depends on what equipment you've got but generally which connection should give the best audio performance between a DVD player & amp. HDMI, Coaxial or optical?
TIA

A

Anonymous

Hi Daveh

Tell me if I'm talking rubbish but if the DAC in the DVD is better than the DAC in the amp/receiver should it not be Analogue (6xRCA to 6xRCA) at the top of your list.

Also, what is your basis for recommending coaxial over optical?

A

Anonymous

Carl P:
Hi Daveh

Tell me if I'm talking rubbish but if the DAC in the DVD is better than the DAC in the amp/receiver should it not be Analogue (6xRCA to 6xRCA) at the top of your list.

Also, what is your basis for recommending coaxial over optical?

Yes correct on the DAC thing. Coax is better over short runs because optical can suffer from jitter at its connections (though you'll be hard pushed to tell any difference). Optical is better over long runs when interference can become a problem for electrical cables.ÿ

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Without wanting to comment on anything, the theory of coaxial being better than optical is the fact that coaxial is a straight electrical connection, whereas an optical signal must be converted into an optical signal and then converted back into an electrical signal. Clearly, coaxial doesn't need this, so in theory at least, it works better.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts