The 'best' CD players of the last 10+ years?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

podknocker

To be frank you are probably better off buying a new DVD or bluray player for that sort of money.
The Sony UBP-X800M2 is silent, built like a tank and will play any codec and format, on any disc, apart from CD ROMs, but you'd expect that. What's not to like? I had the Mk1 version and it did sound decent even though I played it through a terrible Quad Vena 2 amp and even more terrible Wharfedale speakers and as a bonus, the picture quality is fantastic. I'm tempted to buy the new one and see if it shines through my current system. You can buy worse players and for much more money.

Last edited:

AJM1981

I haven’t really played Cd’s recently. My beliefs in a “good system” are not that high. My father used to own a Rotel. It was heavy and had these skip-preventing stabilising features. But honestly, it was just a heavy CD player in the category… ‘people believe that heavier is better’. And it was, funny as it might sound, one of the most problematic CD-players I came across during the years.

If your home is not a car and not exposed to mild earthquakes from time to time, I think there is no single need for an over-the-top CD player when it is positioned on a solid piece of furniture.

The only part I consider important is how it sounds and if there is no added noise. Most cheaper systems than Rotel builds are capable of doing well.

I currently have an old PS3 for when I need a SA CD or CD. That is ok. My streamer is working just fine.

Last edited:

podknocker

I found the review of the 2010S2 and it doesn't get much praise:

It's another example of solid build quality and great aesthetics, let down by a lack of expertise where it counts. The buttons will last an eternity, but you can't listen to it.

Last edited:

nightanddaygamechangers

Nov 19, 2023
Visit site

nightanddaygamechangers

Nov 19, 2023
Visit site
My one is from circa 2004 but that doesn't detract from sound quality. Like Leema Exposure are sorely overlooked, but they better most equipment within their respective price bracket. And they are both small independent hi-fi businesses, becoming rarer by the year.
Their 2510 and 3510 integrated amps have been on my radar for quite some time. I particularly like the fact they’re just an amp. The 3510 doesn’t even have a phono preamp, which is now something I’ll never need.

Have you seen the new Leema pre and power combo?

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

Their 2510 and 3510 integrated amps have been on my radar for quite some time. I particularly like the fact they’re just an amp. The 3510 doesn’t even have a phono preamp, which is now something I’ll never need.

Exposure is on my radar too, quite a 3510 pre power set up, no specific reason just like the idea of a combo.

On the Leema gear, seen a couple of highlights on YT but there is nothing on Leema’s website which is a bit odd. Unless it’s me doing something wrong - probably.

nightanddaygamechangers

Nov 19, 2023
Visit site
Exposure is on my radar too, quite a 3510 pre power set up, no specific reason just like the idea of a combo.

On the Leema gear, seen a couple of highlights on YT but there is nothing on Leema’s website which is a bit odd. Unless it’s me doing something wrong - probably.
The Exposure pre/power combo is certainly very nice, but probably overkill for my room.

I had a look at the Leema website too. Nothing on the new products. Based on how old their most recent news item was, and it says 2015 in the footer, I don’t think marketing is their strong suit.

Reactions: Oxfordian
The Exposure pre/power combo is certainly very nice, but probably overkill for my room.

I had a look at the Leema website too. Nothing on the new products. Based on how old their most recent news item was, and it says 2015 in the footer, I don’t think marketing is their strong suit.
Exposure are excellent based on my CDP. Always overlooked.

Leema PR might not be up to other companies but their amps still punch above their weight, although I've not heard their CDPs, Dacs or speakers, so can't comment on those.

Don't think many people, outside of exhibitions, have seen the new pre/power combo.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
My most recent CD Players were second hand purchases and I only kept to two brands (Denon & Marantz) which I know I can trust, in terms of reliability and sound quality.
However, since my purchase of Atoll IN100SE, I've also been looking at their CD player Cd400SE, which is believed to have an excellent sound quality.
Just look at that beefy toroid power supply and I love the clean simple minimalistic look; what can I say, it's French :)

1704727103115.png1704728811236.png
1704727209624.png
1704728124186.png
1704728768237.png

Last edited:

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
My most recent CD Players were second hand purchases and I only kept to two brands (Denon & Marantz) which I know I can trust, in terms of reliability and sound quality.
However, since my purchase of Atoll IN100SE, I've also been looking at their CD player Cd400SE, which is believed to have an excellent sound quality.
Just look at that beefy toroid power supply and I love the clean simple minimalistic look; what can I say, it's French :)

View attachment 5880View attachment 5884
View attachment 5881
View attachment 5882
View attachment 5883
Wow, that looks beautiful. I will say I prefer a more traditional case shape.
How much is one of those gonna set one back?

Reactions: Jasonovich

Oxfordian

View attachment 5881
View attachment 5882
View attachment 5883
I have to say that the Atoll CD is stunning, never really considered the brand but I will now, really nice bit of kit.

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site
Wow, that looks beautiful. I will say I prefer a more traditional case shape.
How much is one of those gonna set one back?
OMG!
AI is correct about the price.
£5K from Doug Brady.

I honestly thought it would be around £2K the most :eek:

This will have to be an eBay job, I managed to get their second hand amp for £800 but I suspect it's going to be many years I need to wait for the price to depreciate, before I can even contemplate buying second hand.

1704736801741.png

OMG!
AI is correct about the price.
£5K from Doug Brady.

I honestly thought it would be around £2K the most :eek:

This will have to be an eBay job, I managed to get their second hand amp for £800 but I suspect it's going to be many years I need to wait for the price to depreciate, before I can even contemplate buying second hand.

View attachment 5887
Yes, I rounded it up by a £1 didn't think it would make too much difference.... :)
However, you are right, very nicely constructed. Would I be able to tell the difference between this and my Oppo 105?
Guess I will never find out.....
I would also never pay this for a pure CD player, it would have to do SACD as well

Last edited:

DougK1

Jan 4, 2024
Visit site

View attachment 5881
View attachment 5882
View attachment 5883
Wow! That is fugly! Sorry Jason :)

TRENDING THREADS