Best Amp over the last 10 years for about a grand

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
I started this thread wondering when someone would mention either the Elex-R or the Elicit-R. I am surprised it has taken this long. Are they generally (in retrospect) not appreciated? Or just maybe not that much better than the Roksan?
Heard both the Elex-R and Elicit-R, and both are very good. Would buy one of those to replace my Leema? Absolutely not.

14 years after buying I've still not heard anything better below 2k (new price). It's a very special amp, and I have a theory why... and it's a genuine and plausible theory.

One brand I cannot tolerate is Naim but I've never made a secret of it. Heard so many of their different incarnations entry-level amps, including the original XS, and I briefly owned the CD5i - fingernails down a blackboard. The XS is a slight improvement but I couldn't live with one for any long periods.

Except I wouldn’t have been able to use it without either of those additional elements 😄

The Rega Elicit mk5 was the right choice for me in the end. No regrets, although more features than OP needs.
Which just goes to show 'best amp' is going to depend on the facilities you need that amp to have so the question is a tad unanswerable.
To me you buy the best amp you can then, if it doesn't have a dac you simply add one otherwise you end up with a compromise.

TRENDING THREADS