Should i upgrade my (vintage) cd player while using my Chord mojo as a DAC/pre-amp?

David.W.

Feb 2, 2021
Visit site
Hi All!

Recently i added a cd player to my system, just to give it a shot again. Love it, and have been happily gathering cd's since then and will keep doing that.

My cd player is actually a dvd/cd player ( NAD t562), and i only bought it because it was 40 euro's and nearby. Back in the day this was a 1000 euro machine, and i have absolutely no complaints about it for the 40 i paid for it. As a dac and pre-amp i use the mojo and this most definetly determines the sound. I tried it with lesser dac's, and with seperate pre-amps using the dac from the NAD. And nothing compares, the difference in sound quality is huge. I have been enjoying this set up way more than i expected, and have been collecting cd's again. (My speakers are Chario Delphinus and my amp Duson B100).

Is upgrading an option if i would spend 150 to 300 on a (dedicated) cd player? New or second hands? Would it also be an upgrade in combination with the mojo? In other words: If the dac is external and decent, is there any reason to upgrade the player?

Looking forward to you responses, i am new her. Also if this topic has been covered already: sorry, please send me a link!

Gray

Welcome David.
Others might disagree, but I can't see a CDP / Mojo giving you any audible advantage over DVDP / Mojo.
What it would likely give you though, is a unit with a display more suited to playing CDs, without the need to have a TV on (a better user experience - unless you're one of those who play complete CDs and don't bother with such things as programming tracks - in which case, save your money).

Last edited:
Reactions: Tinman1952

mikeyc38

Oct 26, 2020
Visit site
Hi David
I had a Marantz CD63 KI Signature for many years. I upgraded the clock stage myself and replaced a few op-amps and improved the quality. A couple of years ago I bought a 2nd hand Audiolab 8200 and wow, miles better than my KI Sig so yes if the machine is old, get a new one.

Kind Regards
Michael

David.W.

Feb 2, 2021
Visit site
Welcome David.
Others might disagree, but I can't see a CDP / Mojo giving you any audible advantage over DVDP / Mojo.
What it would likely give you though, is a unit with a display more suited to playing CDs, without the need to have a TV on (a better user experience - unless you're one of those who play complete CDs and don't bother with such things as programming tracks - in which case, save your money).

Thanks for your response Gray, this is my point of view as well. Ofcourse a more expensive cd player will be better, but i am pretty sure it would have to be WAY more expensive to compete with the sound of the mojo. Also in that case i would have to get a pre - amp as well since my Mojo also functions as that.

I don't care too much about 'user experience'. The fact i use a chord mojo as a pre amp for multiple things gives that away (pain in the ass..) I just want the best sound i can get within my limited budget

Reactions: Gray

David.W.

Feb 2, 2021
Visit site
Hi David
I had a Marantz CD63 KI Signature for many years. I upgraded the clock stage myself and replaced a few op-amps and improved the quality. A couple of years ago I bought a 2nd hand Audiolab 8200 and wow, miles better than my KI Sig so yes if the machine is old, get a new one.

Kind Regards
Michael

Thanks for your response! i will look into the audiolab cd players, another member just mentioned one as well. Do you think the dac inside that is on par with a modern dac like the mojo?

David.W.

Feb 2, 2021
Visit site
Of it were me, and you could find an ex demo v ersion, I would spend the money on an Audiolab 6000CDT or a transport of some kind. You don't need to pay for another internal DAC

hanks for your response! i will look into the audiolab cd players, another member just mentioned one as well. Do you think the dac inside that is on par with a modern dac like the mojo? The thing is i am already using that as an external dac and pre amp. So i am heaving doubts buying a cd player under 1000 will be a serious upgrade soundwise. This what i am wondering about :)

hanks for your response! i will look into the audiolab cd players, another member just mentioned one as well. Do you think the dac inside that is on par with a modern dac like the mojo? The thing is i am already using that as an external dac and pre amp. So i am heaving doubts buying a cd player under 1000 will be a serious upgrade soundwise. This what i am wondering about :)
I didn't mention a CD player but a CD transport.
This should tell you something about the nature of internal dacs at this price level and your Mojo

David.W.

Feb 2, 2021
Visit site
Of it were me, and you could find an ex demo v ersion, I would spend the money on an Audiolab 6000CDT or a transport of some kind. You don't need to pay for another internal DAC

Late response, mainly for people stumbling upon this thread with a simular question: This was GREAT advice. Last year i upgraded my dac from the mojo to denafrips but still was using the same cd/dvd player. Changing dacs was a big step up, but 2 weeks ago i bought the audiolabs 6000cdt, and the difference is incredible.. So if you have a decent external dac, and you are into cd's, get a cd transport it is absolutely worth it!

nads

I would keep it. It can deal with the CDs and HDCDs.

i was in a similar position but with newer CDP and disc spinners circa 2007 the 541 and the 586 (check the sig) as for CD play back i could not tell the difference. but when looking inside i found the the 586 had much M33 circuit boards which convinced me that it would be a good keep. also it dis every disc play back before HDDVD and Bluray. and in my case there is an upgrade to allow it to out put in 1080P.

but if using just as a transport they are the same as may mass produced items. as are many others.

Wilts Hobbit

Sep 24, 2021
Visit site
Hi the Audiolab is just a cd transport no internal dac, all your money goes on a dedicated transport, so you would have to use your excellent chord dac with this. I have the Audiolab cdt on trial at the moment hooked up to my denafrips ares ii dac and intial impressions are really good. Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts