The 'best' CD players of the last 10+ years?

mightyquin

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Currently I use a Technics MASH player which is from the early 90's - it sounds great (to me) but I'm aware it's getting long in the tooth and recently a couple of times has mis-loaded.

I'm thinking of a replacement (although it still works fine) and buying used, wondering what models from the past 10 years or so are more highly regarded without going high end?

I've seen another Technics advertised locally which appears to be just a later model of what I have, probably late 90's, which I could get to swap over if/when mine fails but I'm also getting that itch to try something else!

TIA.

As someone who has owned a CD player since a couple of years after the format launch, I’d say the last decade has been relatively fallow. Streaming has dominated, as has the never-ending supply of DACs of all types.

Some say that the actual digital replay was solved twenty years ago or more, hence the only flavour to choose is from the DAC. And a few promising designs ended their lifespans early - mostly due to transports being phased out by one of the few remaining suppliers, and/or to the AKM factory fire that meant many DACs were unavailable suddenly.

As you can see from my signature, I still use a Marantz, my third since the original CD63b I bought at the start. I’ve had Meridian, Krell and Tascam in the meantime.

Without a budget, I’m not sure I can choose one. But models I’ve admired and come close to buying include:-

Primare CD35
ATC CDA2 mark 2
Hegel Mohican - one of the casualties, now replaced by the Viking
Luxman D-03X
Denon DCD-A110

For a bargain, if you want nice clear buttons and a readable display, and don’t mind a slightly studio/industrial look, my Tascam CD-200 is great value and feels like it’ll last a long time. The transport is used in at least two from the above list, even though they retail in the thousands -v- about £250 for a Tascam!

Last edited:

JDL

Jun 13, 2023
Visit site
Hi,

Currently I use a Technics MASH player which is from the early 90's - it sounds great (to me) but I'm aware it's getting long in the tooth and recently a couple of times has mis-loaded.

I'm thinking of a replacement (although it still works fine) and buying used, wondering what models from the past 10 years or so are more highly regarded without going high end?

I've seen another Technics advertised locally which appears to be just a later model of what I have, probably late 90's, which I could get to swap over if/when mine fails but I'm also getting that itch to try something else!

TIA.
Which Technics specifically do you have?

None on eBay at the moment, but I think they tend to be £2k plus even when many years old. Compared with a vintage TEAC, I suspect that counts in budgetary terms!
I'd certainly agree that., when they do come up for sale, they do tend to be a tad overpriced.
Somebody just be prepared to pay for them though no idea why as that money would but a very decent latest bit of kit.

mightyquin

Jan 7, 2014
Visit site
Thank you for the suggestions although clearly some of you have very different ideas about what isn't 'high end' stuff!!

Budget wise I don't really know but my thinking is that with the decline of CD's etc, I might pick up a bargain for around £100 or so.

I missed out on a Technics SL-PS70 on ebay which went for £68 although I'm not sure just how much better than my current player it'd be and it's about the same vintage (so wear on moving parts etc).

Thank you for the suggestions although clearly some of you have very different ideas about what isn't 'high end' stuff!!

Budget wise I don't really know but my thinking is that with the decline of CD's etc, I might pick up a bargain for around £100 or so.

I missed out on a Technics SL-PS70 on ebay which went for £68 although I'm not sure just how much better than my current player it'd be and it's about the same vintage (so wear on moving parts etc).
To be frank you are probably better off buying a new DVD or bluray player for that sort of money.

Why is that? Are you saying a DVD player will give better sound than, say, the Marantz 6000 suggested above?
No but it would probably work longer and you're unlikely to get a decent Marantz 6000 for £100
You state best in the last 10+ years and then say currently available for around £100.
Well I cannot think of any that fall into both categories....

Last edited:
Reactions: oldie

Oxfordian

If you're upgrading an aged CD player today, which is the better route;

A CDT plus DAC either via amplifier or standalone DAC or a CDP with built in DAC?

My Audiolab 6000CDT received very good write ups and works just fine into my Hegel H95 but is it a worthy replacement for a quality CDP of years gone by?

it may be outside the budget of the OP but at £400 it is not hugely expensive.

If you're upgrading an aged CD player today, which is the better route;

A CDT plus DAC either via amplifier or standalone DAC or a CDP with built in DAC?

My Audiolab 6000CDT received very good write ups and works just fine into my Hegel H95 but is it a worthy replacement for a quality CDP of years gone by?

it may be outside the budget of the OP but at £400 it is not hugely expensive.
Good question but I think this is outside of the OPs question is it not?

Reactions: Oxfordian

Oxfordian

Good question but I think this is outside of the OPs question is it not?
Maybe, maybe not, the OP asked for suggestions to replace an aged CDP that were not high end, at £400 new the 6000CDT is not a high end player, it just depends on whether a CDT is a viable alternative and whether it can be bought on the used market?

Maybe, maybe not, the OP asked for suggestions to replace an aged CDP that were not high end, at £400 new the 6000CDT is not a high end player, it just depends on whether a CDT is a viable alternative and whether it can be bought on the used market?
He did state ' might pick up a bargain for around £100 or so' but you are correct he doesn't actually state what his maximum budget is.

Last edited:

Oxfordian

He did stat ' might pick up a bargain for around £100 or so' but you are correct he doesn't actually state what his maximum budget is.
Initial query didn’t mention any price that only comes later when the OP mentions picking up a bargain on the used market, what does the OP want as they may find themselves jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire.

Best suggestion would be a DVD player.

podknocker

You need a laser and a DAC to read discs and retreive the data. Anything will do really, just make sure it's a reliable brand and sounds OK. Sony are still appearing on ebay, like many brands, but I'd go for a good quality Sony ES player. I dream about finding an unopened Sony ES CD player and only pay £100 as it's been sat in a cupboard for 21 years or more! I know it's sad, but why would you not want this?

I do remember Marantz, Sony and Technics having great string tone in particular. The Mission speakers at the time possibly helped. I've owned Marantz kit until a few years ago and it's great, but it doesn't have that magic anymore. Maybe many CD players are tuned to give a different sound these days, along with amps and speakers.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS