Streamer upgrade and internal DAC comparison questions

Dicky-Art

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Hi
I'm after another Streamer. I have been using the WiiM mini (now given to my son) through my CXA81's internal DAC Optically connected . I thought the quality of sound very good even though it's so cheap! I only use Spotify. Not into Hi Res Audio, CD quality is fine for me.

Been looking at the MXN10 which has an ESS DAC onboard but not sure which, or if equal or better than the CXA81's ESS Sabre ES9016 DAC.
What about the CXN V2 which has Wolfson WM8740 DACs? I know the circuitry plays a big part as well as the DAC so I believe!

So one question I have is ....Do I get a streamer with good streaming/audio and use the CXA's internal DAC or go for a streamer with a better DAC than the CXA? Cheers
(Spend in line with other components but not sure if £500 max is OK, new to this, equipment used in sig) TIA sorry that's more than 1 question!!

Dicky-Art

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
Why did you move on from the WiiM mini? Is it the DAC, the software interface, form factor, etc? I guess, what are you specifically looking for?
My son has just moved flats and I gave him a start up HI-FI (WiiM, Diamonds, Old Pioneer amp). Thought it was a good excuse to upgrade!;)
I would like a bit of insight into Streamer/DACs and what might suit. Read good things on the MXN10, want to audition. Did consider another mini but wondered what might be best.

Reactions: Al ears

Juzzie Wuzzie

I can only give you the benefit of my "research" / thoughts which had me narrowed down to:

1. NAD CS-1
2. Cambridge Audio MXN10
3. Wiim Pro / Mini into an external DAC (Schiit Modi / Topping E30 ii)
4. Wiim Pro Plus (i.e. no need for external DAC)

In full disclosure, I purchased a Wiim Mini about a month ago to isolate a fault in my current set-up and now have one of those. The natural next move would be an external DAC and be done. Or, to park it and go the Wiim Pro Plus. Unlike you, I need a DAC as the PrimaLunas are analogue only.

I like the look of the NAD CS-1, but it has no software aspect to it, so you've got to be comfortable with that. Given the price points of 3. and 4. above, I'm not sure what advantages it offers over those options. Likewise, I can't see what advantages it brings over the MXN10 (other than it is in black). If the latter came in black, I could be tempted, but again don't see what the price differential gets me above 3. or 4 other than four button pre-sets (which could be redundant given how much I listen to Radio Paradise only). Like a few others, and given I don't need a screen, the Wiim products are cracking value and I struggle to see past them (esp. the Pro Plus).

Given your "I thought the quality of sound very good even though it's so cheap!" statement, my gut reaction is to rinse and repeat and just listen. Otherwise, you might disappear down the rabbit hole of streamer + DAC combinations in search of the (unobtainable) "better" sound?

DCarmi

Sounds as though like me you have an "itchy wallet".

You have a good amp with a decent DAC onboard. I am not convinced that the MXN10 will bring much to the table.

The CXN is a different beastie but you really should do an audition to determine whether it is an improvement of what you are used to. My suspicion is that the sound will not be much more than subtly different. It is also over you budget, new.

Given you were happy with the Wiim, I'd question why you feel the need to go a different route. Save your dosh for a more significant upgrade later, e.g. much improved amp and/or speakers. I suspect that will give you more of a sonic boost.

Revolutions

Aug 6, 2023
Visit site
Given you were happy with the Wiim, I'd question why you feel the need to go a different route.
This. If you’re only using the WiiM mini via optical with Spotify as your sole source of audio, I can’t see how a streamer is going to give you any improvement in sound. Only features you’re not using for a lot more than £90.

Reactions: Al ears

Dicky-Art

Aug 5, 2015
Visit site
This. If you’re only using the WiiM mini via optical with Spotify as your sole source of audio, I can’t see how a streamer is going to give you any improvement in sound. Only features you’re not using for a lot more than £90.
Streaming will be one source of audio, but not all streamers sound the same! Anyway I can only find out by listening.

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
I have a similar sort of question to this. I want to get a Bluesound node to integrate streaming audio and would love to use an optical OR coax connection but my receiver does not have an input so I would need to use rca cables. Is there any noticeable difference in sound quality between these mediums?

DCarmi

I'd try it with RCA first. If you feel the need for an external DAC then there are plenty of options out there.
It will partly depend on your sources and the quality of your other equipment.

There is also the Wiim Pro Plus streamer which is has reviewed well and is cheaper.

TRENDING THREADS