Beginner need suggestion on home stereo setup

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

I'm from Melbourne, Australia and i'm completely new to HiFi World and i'm planning to build a system soon. Was looking for some feedbacks and advices on a shortlist that i've made:

Speakers (Bookshelf) - Dynaudio X12 [/b]

Amp (Integrate) - Musical Fidelity M3i / Naim Nait 5i / Roks[/b]an Kandy K2 / [/b]Rega Brio-R / Creek evolution[/b] [/b]

DAC - Musical Fidelity M1DAC / [/b]Rega DAC[/b] / Audiolab M-DAC[/b]

Musics genre that i listen most: Jazz, Blue Jazz, Bossa Nova, Opera, Classical, Guitar

Regards,

Hi-Fi Newbie

A

Anonymous

It'd be handy to know what your budget is & what music you generally listen to?

Also how is your room going to be laid out and will it be hard floors or carpeted with soft furnishings etc...

I have the M/A RX2's partnered with a Marantz CR603 (a superb all in one system) and they sound fantastic! I also ran them for a while with a Cyrus 8VS2 (a decent integrated amp around the £900 mark when new) partnered with a Rega Apollo CD player and again; it was a fantastic combo!

There are a lot of variations that will decide what set up you go for so the more answers you provide the better the suggestions...

Also; are you planning on doing demos (I REALLY hope so) as blind buying could catch you out!

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi Recruiter,

Thank you for your feedback and i'm really appreciate.

I was hoping to keep my budget for the separates around £1.2k if possible :)

Musics that i generally listen are:

Jazz / Bossa Nova / Classical Musics / Opera ...etc

e.g. Kenny G / Diana Krall / Bebel Gilberto / Eric Clapton / Norah Jones / Andrea Bocelli / Katherine Jenkins / Mozart / Beethoven / Johannes Linstead / Tchaikovsky / Dan Fogelberg / Louis Armstrong / Bee Gees / Adele

I'm sorry that i was unable to provide the room size yet as i'm going to moving very soon but it will be apartment with carpet finish. I understand that room size was a major factor for the concern as well.

Would you mind if i ask do you need a subwoofer for the setup to deliver a better result?

I apologize for didn't provide this information earlier. I will also use the system for movies sometimes

A

Anonymous

Personally I think using a sub with the M/A RX2's would be overkill

They're some of the biggest standmount speakers on the market and with an 8" mid/bass driver; with the righ amplification they kick out bags of deep, punchy bass!

My spare room is 15ft by 11ft and they're more than enough for that room; with a sub I think you'd only really get the lowest of the bass filled out and TBH I dont think its needed with these kinds of speakers unless youre a bass junkie!

With your taste in music (some of which I share) I'd say the RX2's will be more than enough but you can always run them for a good month or 2 and then see if you feel youre missing out on bass etc...

I'd also highly recommend the Marantz CR603. I was fairly dubious at first as I'm not the biggest Marantz lover (always found their sound too soft & mellow) but the CR603 is totally the opposite! Had Arcam, Cyrus, NAD and Rotel beforehand and the Marantz is as good to me as the NAD/Cyrus stuff I've had separates wise...

One other thing I'd suggest is decent stands for the RX2's. They're big speakers and require a good stand underneath them to get them to sound their best. I initially used some Partington SuperDreadnoughts but came across some Atacama HMS2's 2nd hand local to me. Swapped them over and added 3 tubs of Atabites between them (dense lead type filler for speaker stands) and this made a marked improvement over the bass depth/punch and smoothed out the sound overall

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
The Rega Brio R works well with Monitor Audio speakers I have been using one with RX1s which I am presently selling and have now purchased RX6s.
If you use a sub I wouldnt bother with RX2s I would use RX1s as you dont need the extra extension of the RX2s the sub will do the rest.
Sub wise unless you want to build your own I would look into BK sealed subs they are very good value for money.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I personally don't like listen to speakers plus sub for music as I don't think it quite sounds right. I prefer bass coming from just the 2 speakers. Many other forum members however like the combination of stand mounts and a sub. One person posted pictures on here of a set up using rx2 speakers with 2 subs! That must be crazy bass.

Buying good stands is very good advice so make sure you have enough money for that.

For me arcam and MA are the best combination they just work so well together to produce a fairly neutral sound with a smooth flow.

If your using it for cinema do you mean as 2.1 or are you planning on a receiver and 5.1?

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
I did use a sub with the RX1s and found it integrated without problems, it sounded like the bass was coming from the RX1s.
But now I have the RX6s I dont really need the sub although there is not quite so much bass as before.

Ben K.

Nov 6, 2010
Visit site
I used to use br2 speakers and tried them with my RX sub but for me it didn't sound right. Now my rx8 produce good bass and I'm happy although they still don't do sub sonics but as I say for me I just prefer the speakers on their own. Have you tried your sub with your rx6? You might like it!

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
No, sold it now for sake of domestic harmony, not allowed to have floor standers (which is what I always wanted) and sub.

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
@recruiter

Thanks for your reply again recruiter :)

I'll go with the RX2 without the subs. Thanks for your advices. I will check the Marantz CR603 as well and have an audition if there is a chance, with the RX2 of cause. Just need to get a shortlist of what i will be getting first :D

As for the stands i've seen some other posts mentioned before. I'll check see if i could get either one of those in Australia.

Thanks for the tips, really appreciate !

@coll

Hi Coll,

I've seen the Rega amps somewhere before. But i'm not sure how was it when comparing with others such as Arcam, Musical Fidelity M3i, Roksan Kandy K2...etc. Mind if i ask what kind of musics that you use with the Rega and if you had any experiences with other amps?
smile.png

Might not get a sub at this stage as suggested
lol.png

Thank You.

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi Ben,

Thats what i thought as recruiter suggested. Cause i want to listen the details of musics, and i don't want too much bass on it. Please don't get me wrong coll. It just my personal preferences of listening :) i do really appreciate with your feedback very much.

For cinema i by using 2.1 at this stage i guess. Not sure if i will be upgrade or looking for something else for 5.1 in the future :) But the RX2 seems like a stereo speakers from my understanding, not sure if it's suitable keep and upgrade for 5.1 in the future.

Sorry i'm still a noob. Please let me know if i said something wrong

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Here is an update of shortlist that i've made for what i would like my system to be build:

Speakers: Monitor Audio RX2

Amplifier: Musical Fidelity M3i (Integrated)

Speakers Stand: Atacama Audio HMS 2.1

DAC: Musical Fidelity M1DAC -or- Rega DAC ( :wall: i couldn't decide, any suggestion? lol)

Feedbacks welcome :)

Thank you

A

Anonymous

That'll be a fantastic set-up :)

I have the HMS2 stands and they work really well with the RX2's but in saying that; so did my old Nexus 6's but they had to be fairly well filled with atabites!

As for DAC's definitly consider the Matrix Mini-i and the Emotive XDA1 as well as the MF M1DAC (which I'm running currently) and the Rega DAC. The Arcam rDAC is still a belter as is the Cambridge Audio DacMagic.

For me however the MF M1DAC just has a better, more rounded and detailed soundstage with the Emotive and Arcam DAC's coming very close. The Rega was a little too smooth for my tastes and the CA DAC ever so slightly bright/tinny at times

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
therecruiter said:

I have the HMS2 stands and they work really well with the RX2's but in saying that; so did my old Nexus 6's but they had to be fairly well filled with atabites!

As for DAC's definitly consider the Matrix Mini-i and the Emotive XDA1 as well as the MF M1DAC (which I'm running currently) and the Rega DAC. The Arcam rDAC is still a belter as is the Cambridge Audio DacMagic.

For me however the MF M1DAC just has a better, more rounded and detailed soundstage with the Emotive and Arcam DAC's coming very close. The Rega was a little too smooth for my tastes and the CA DAC ever so slightly bright/tinny at times

Hi recruiter,

Thank you for your recommendation. I've also heard some good and bad about both the M1DAC and Rega DAC. Some says that the M1DAC is just like the Arcam DAC = boring, flat. And some says that the Rega lack of details in certain situation. Which is why i get confused lol. I've seen a lot positive review of Rega DAC but i'm not sure those reviews are based on what sort of musics the experts listening. I've also seen a couple of negative review for the Arcam rDac. Would you mind how do you enjoy your M1DAC ? with what music that you listen to ? :) just for references see if there is anything similar in between of our likes :)

Thank you

A

Anonymous

mustachesound said:
therecruiter said:

Hi recruiter,

Thank you for your recommendation. I've also heard some good and bad about both the M1DAC and Rega DAC. Some says that the M1DAC is just like the Arcam DAC = boring, flat. And some says that the Rega lack of details in certain situation. Which is why i get confused lol. I've seen a lot positive review of Rega DAC but i'm not sure those reviews are based on what sort of musics the experts listening. I've also seen a couple of negative review for the Arcam rDac. Would you mind how do you enjoy your M1DAC ? with what music that you listen to ? :) just for references see if there is anything similar in between of our likes :)

Thank you

I certainly dont agree with the flat/boring commenst re the Arcam rDAC or the Mf M1DAC. Both are very good indeed and certainly open up the soundstage to a great level. Just I found the M1DAC had better synergy with my system & musical tastes plus I think it looks cool too haha :) 8)

I listen to all sorts; raning from Metallica, Iron Maiden & System of a Down to Morcheeba, Hed Kandi, The XX, LateNight Tales compelations to electronic music like Daft Punk, Mount Kimbie, Flume, Layo & Bushwacka etc... I also listen to older music like Glenn Miller, Nat King Cole/Dean Martin, Bonzo Dog, Jethro Tull etc...

For my tastes the Rega DAC didnt do as well as the MF or Arcam DAC but it still did sound very good. A very good DAC, from the home demo's I did, was the Emotiva XDA1. It's a belter and well worth listening to if you can!

I only really went for the MF M1DAC because I was offered it at a silly price!

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi recruiter,

Not sure why i've seen such comments on the DAC that mentioned above lol.

Indeed !!! The M1DAC does looks cool ! lol and that's one of the reason why i want to make sure it's worth picking :)

And i like Glenn Miller, Nat King Cole/Dean Martin too :p

I'll check the Emotiva XDA1 out, thanks for the recommendation :)

And i just realise that the equipments on my shortlist does not have any HDMI input ... sigh :(

A

Anonymous

Why do you need HDMI?

This is all stereo/hifi so it wont have visual connectivity etc...

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Cause i was thinking how am i gonna connect my PS3 for cinema purpose to the system. Sorry i don't have a clue what i'm saying.

I guess i'm suppose to connect the visual with HDMI to the TV and the original AV lead (red/white) to the amp. Not sure if thats the proper or best solution or not.

A

Anonymous

mustachesound said:
Cause i was thinking how am i gonna connect my PS3 for cinema purpose to the system. Sorry i don't have a clue what i'm saying.

I guess i'm suppose to connect the visual with HDMI to the TV and the original AV lead (red/white) to the amp. Not sure if thats the proper or best solution or not.

I'd say that's about right :)

Not sure on your TV's outputs but you could connect that to the DAC as well then into your stereo amp for a better sound

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
therecruiter said:
I'd say that's about right :)

Not sure on your TV's outputs but you could connect that to the DAC as well then into your stereo amp for a better sound

Didn't know that will work. I was worry that someone gonna slap me when i ask such a stupid question lol. I'm too noob with HiFI T.T lol But i'm well prepare so that i can get answer for that lol. Thanks for the tips recruiter :)

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Someone has told me the combination setup in my list does not get the right synergy and will not achieve a good sound results. And i was told to look for a modest amp instead. Any thoughts? :)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
mustachesound said:
Someone has told me the combination setup in my list does not get the right synergy and will not achieve a good sound results. And i was told to look for a modest amp instead. Any thoughts? :)

I will strongly suggest you to demo, demo, demo until you don't get the right combination and the sound you are looking for. Keep an open mind and start demoing whatever is available, you might come across pleasant surprises. Regarding what people say/write, you will soon learn that you won't find consensus all the time. Just try to get suggestions/short list on forums and then get out and experience yourself. Have fun :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts