Beginner need suggestion on home stereo setup

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
expat said:
Hi ARE YOU DESPERATE TO BUY CAUSE FOR A LITTLE MORE YOU COULD GET SOME SECOND HAND STUFF THAT REALLY WILL STAND THE TEST OF TIME AND FAR EXCEED THE SONIC ABILITY OF WHAT YOU ARE SHORTLISTING(AJUST SEEN MY CAPITALS TO LAZY TO CHANGE)

ATC scm 11s used e bay

Leema stream 2 cd around 500 pound

Astintrew 2000+ amp about 895 second hand from audio emotion

Hello expat,

Thank you for your recommendation. I'm not rushing to get a system, i rather listen and select carefully :)

I never had any audition with the components that you've mentioned above. But from the reviews they are pretty good. Thanks again! i'm really appreciate.

Still, if someone could let me know if there is any trustworthy online stores that ship HiFi equipment to Australia will be great :) Hope to hear from Neuphonix soon :)

Cheers

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I made two calls this afternoon and try to get some audition with the naim nait 5i with the Dynaudio excite x12 speakers. There are only two naim dealers that i could found in Victoria state (Australia).

Store A:

I rang them and ask them do they have any Dynaudio x12 speakers in the showroom and if i could have an audition with the naim nait 5i. The guy on the phone told me that they don't have any Dyn speakers and he gave me two options:

1 - Go buy a Dynaudio x12 somewhere else and bring them in for testing.

2 - Look at some other great speakers that they have in their store.

Store C:

The guy on the phone said they don't have any Dynaudio speakers in the store and he told me to look at their sale item. And i explained to him that i'm actually looking for an opportunity to listen the Dyn x12 with the naim nait 5i if available at this stage. Then before the conversation continue he said they don't have any dynaudio speakers in the stores and hang up the phone call straight away.

I was wondering if there is anyone here from Melbourne, Australia know any places that have a naim nait 5i, MF M1DAC and Dynaudio x12 speakers would you mind to share so that i can have an audition with those equipment? :)

Thank you

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
mustachesound said:
I made two calls this afternoon and try to get some audition with the naim nait 5i with the Dynaudio excite x12 speakers. There are only two naim dealers that i could found in Victoria state (Australia).

Store A:

I rang them and ask them do they have any Dynaudio x12 speakers in the showroom and if i could have an audition with the naim nait 5i. The guy on the phone told me that they don't have any Dyn speakers and he gave me two options:

1 - Go buy a Dynaudio x12 somewhere else and bring them in for testing.

2 - Look at some other great speakers that they have in their store.

Store C:

The guy on the phone said they don't have any Dynaudio speakers in the store and he told me to look at their sale item. And i explained to him that i'm actually looking for an opportunity to listen the Dyn x12 with the naim nait 5i if available at this stage. Then before the conversation continue he said they don't have any dynaudio speakers in the stores and hang up the phone call straight away.

I was wondering if there is anyone here from Melbourne, Australia know any places that have a naim nait 5i, MF M1DAC and Dynaudio x12 speakers would you mind to share so that i can have an audition with those equipment? :)

Thank you

That's sad to read...I hope you will find a great dealer, I am sure it should exists also over there!

keep us posted on your research and good luck

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Just been reading through your thread and as you have mentioned Naim equipment thought this could be of interest

http://www.whathifi.com/news/ces-2013-naim-looks-to-desktop-audio-with-compact-dac-v1-preampdac-and-nap-100-power-amplifier

I have no idea how this will sound but will be around your budget, maybe a little higher but worthy of consideration,

As everyone has said listen to as much as you can, it will get confusing, frustrating but after a while you will discover what YOU like and you usually know for yourself when someting is right.

Also try and get a home demo on your final selection to be sure.

Finally and most importantly have fun, it is about the music you love.

Good Luck

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Rather than searching for specific products, do a dealer search and find out what brands you do have access to..........if you then post a list of what you have available, we might be able to come up with something else that will work.

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
acalex said:
That's sad to read...I hope you will find a great dealer, I am sure it should exists also over there!

keep us posted on your research and good luck

Hi Acalex,

good to hear from you again. Unfortunately in the state where i live they only have two naim dealer, and that's what it happen when i gave them a buzz try to arrange an audition if possible.

Actually i've an audition with the MA RX2 / Dyn X12 with MF M1DAC + MF M1DAC / Cyurs 8 DAC couple days ago.

The first test was the MA RX2 goes with the MF combo. The RX2 have great bass punch! but imo, i think the speakers are a little bit bright to me. And i think this combination goes well with musics with more bass, movies, and gaming.

Then we switch the amplifier to Cyrus 8 DAC to play with the MA RX2. To me it sounds a lot cleaner, and have more balance bass with the MA RX2.

The next we did was switch the speakers to Dynaudio Excite X12 to play with the Cyrus 8 DAC. And that completely blow the MA RX2 away !!! I like way the x12 performed, sweet & smooth.

The last thing we did was hooks up the MF M3i + M1DAC with the Dyn X12. It was perfect and well balance! (No offence MA / Cyrus Fans, its just my personal perference) i'm not sure but somehow i felt like the Cyrus 8 DAC did not fully reveal the potential of Dyn X12, and i could be wrong, it was my personal thoughts only. And my conclusion for the winner that day will be Dynaudio Excite X12, Musical Fidelity M3i + M1DAC. I'm so happy that i've learned something new that day for me as a beginner, same speakers different amplifier sounds differently!!!

I'll try have a couple more listening on different equipment in the future and will update and share my thoughts with you all in the future. The staff told me bout Leema Pulse as you guys had mentioned earlier before, unfortunately thats beyond my budget at this stage. I felt like i should have a listen on that but i'm not sure if i should lol. The next amplifier that i would like to try to listen will be the Rega Brio-R, Roksan Kandy K2, and especially the Naim 5i, which unlikely be possible for me to have an opportunity in the state where i live. Hopefully i can found some other place have the X12 and Naim 5i in the same store.

Thank you for reading :)

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Shanka said:
Hi,

Just been reading through your thread and as you have mentioned Naim equipment thought this could be of interest

http://www.whathifi.com/news/ces-2013-naim-looks-to-desktop-audio-with-compact-dac-v1-preampdac-and-nap-100-power-amplifier

I have no idea how this will sound but will be around your budget, maybe a little higher but worthy of consideration,

As everyone has said listen to as much as you can, it will get confusing, frustrating but after a while you will discover what YOU like and you usually know for yourself when someting is right.

Also try and get a home demo on your final selection to be sure.

Finally and most importantly have fun, it is about the music you love.

Good Luck

Hello Shanka,

Thank you for sharing the information !!! I'm looking forward for it release and will have a listen to those when its available !!! Definitely worthy of consideration.

Actually, i'm in the middle of confusion and frustration stage for what i've had listened. Always come up in my mind like "Was that the result that i'm pursuiting? Will there be any improvement possibility with other equipment at the same stage? What if i goes wrong? Does it sounds right and prefectly well balances? was the treble or bass too much or inaccurate? oh i don't know i don't know !!! ...etc" and i still haven't get out of that. It's a bit stress but it's fun in somehow, i do enjoy it. And i'm really glad you guys are here!

I've also made a list of songs and burned into CD that i like for testing different instrumental, vocal, bass, acoustic area...etc. I'm not sure about my listening standard will be right or accurate, but i selected songs that i'm familiar with.

Thank you

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Rather than searching for specific products, do a dealer search and find out what brands you do have access to..........if you then post a list of what you have available, we might be able to come up with something else that will work.

Hi Cno,

Thanks for the feedback. Hows your holiday going? :)

Used to do that but some dealer doesn't put every products they have on their websites so i'll have to call to confirm if they do have a few things that i could test and compare :) I have nothing at all at the moment lol (PS3, laptop, TV not included). This will be the first system that i will be getting lol. Sorry lol

Cheers.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
mustachesound said:
Hi Cno,

Thanks for the feedback. Hows your holiday going? :)

Some Holiday.....recovering from back operation! ;)

mustachesound said:
Used to do that but some dealer doesn't put every products they have on their websites so i'll have to call to confirm if they do have a few things that i could test and compare :) I have nothing at all at the moment lol (PS3, laptop, TV not included). This will be the first system that i will be getting lol. Sorry lol

Cheers.

You are putting together some nice options. The Rega Dac is worth a listen as well.

The Brio R is a great choice, but the extra power of the M3i may prove useful when driving the Dynaudios.

Cno

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Some Holiday.....recovering from back operation! ;)

Glad to hear that, hope you get well soon!

CnoEvil said:
You are putting together some nice options. The Rega Dac is worth a listen as well.

The Brio R is a great choice, but the extra power of the M3i may prove useful when driving the Dynaudios.

Cno

Yea, i've heard a lot bout the Rega Brio-R and DAC. Definitely have to listen in compare with the MF. Unfortunately i guess i won't be able to try the naim nait 5i with the Dynaudio X12. I've just read some exposure 2010s reviews on other sites with they Dyn speakers. Someone said it sounds boomy bass when drive further, also a bit harsh. :)

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello everyone,

Have an audition with the following equipments today and the results was lots better than i thought, absolutely stunning. Unfortunately during the testing i couldn't play my own musics lol, but i would really like to go back some other time to listen the musics that i usually use for testing :)

By comparing these setup with Dyn x12 + MF M3i & M1DAC that i've listend last couple weeks ago, i would say the Dyn combo that i've listened the other day was smoother and lesser bass than then what i've listened today. Not sure it's because of the amps, or speakers, or dac as they are completely different setup (my initial plan was to test the naim nait 5i-2 with the Dyn x12 but they don't do any MF / Dyn products. Besides, i always curious about Quad speakers and naim amplifier so i guess no harm to do a different test with totally different setup). Correct me if i'm wrong, i found that the top notch or highs pitch (sorry, i'm not sure how to describe that) that i've listened today was a bit harsh for some reasons. The setup was really hard to beat and i'm very impressed. I'm actually quite confused at the moment lol. I wish i could be better to identify each specific details of sound.

Speakers: Quad 11L / Quad 12L

Amplifier: Naim Nait 5i-2

DAC: Audiolab m-dac

mustachesound

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
tino1104 said:
MCR603 (keyboards going crazy lol)

Hi Tino,

I've seen some good reviews on the MCR603. Thanks fyi lol. By the way, please don't take this as offence lol, are you drunk when you reply to this thread the other day? lol

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS