• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Dynaudio x12/Paradigm Studio 20 and Musical Fidelity M3i+M1 Dac/Bryston B60R/Creek Evolution 5350se

raian

New member
Jun 24, 2013
4
0
0
Greetings from Bangladesh Folks!

Hope you all are well. Right! So, I have been working too hard for too long just to save up enough money to buy a high end entry level Hi Fi system. Well this is going to be my first Hi Fi and here in Bangladesh it is a bit difficult to get hold of a good system. We have like two three stores who sells Hi Fi equipment but the options are pretty low. But I can place orders on which they will bring me what ever I require. I just have to spend a bit more I believe.

Saying so, my budget is around $4k. Music preference mostly drum n bass, psy trance, rock, heavy metal. I do listen to a little bit of Jazz and Blues time to time. My main Source is going to be my Macbook for now. So adding a DAC is a necessity for good quality music. And my library is already full of high resolution flac/alac files.

Right, so after all the reshearch and the reading I have made a short list of what I want. And this is where I need your HELP!

Speaker:

1. Paradigm Studio 20/10

2. Dynaudio Excite x16/12

Subwoofer: (open to suggestions)

Amplifier:

1.Musical Fidelity M3i

2. Bryston B60R

3. Creek Evolution 5350se

DAC: (open to suggestions)

1. Musical Fidelity M1

2. Rega DAC

3. Arcam rDAC

Okay! Here is the catch! I won't be able to audition any of the mentioned gear except for the Dynaudio and I have auditoned the Dyn's. I really liked it. But for some weired reason I think Paradigm will suit my needs better, not sure though just a feeling. Now matching the speakers to its right components is the challenge for me as I wont be able to hear how, what sounds like. I have made an assumption that Dynaudio and Musical Fidelity combo will be great but i do need your further assistance and assurance. And I also have a feeling that I might cross my budget which is not good news for me.

So I humbly request you all to help this poor man to achive his dream! I thank you all in advance for your time and patience.

Cheers guys.
 

Hi-FiOutlaw

Well-known member
Apr 20, 2011
236
0
18,790
Hi,

I've Dynaudios Excite X12 paired with Rega Brio R and Rega DAC and love the combo to bits, the cables are 100% copper, cables with silver turned the combo a bit bright for my ears.

That been said I'll be a bit bias regardering my advice.

I've never heard MF amps or Paradigm speakers!

What are the dimentions of your listenig space? And and has furniture? Carpets, curtains, bid glass windows, no windows?

It will help to know about your listening space!

You like music with big strong bass, it will depend in the dimentions of your room to know if you'll need a sub, the dyns x12 have lot of bass for the size, X16 lot more... Some times I do wonder if the sub is on or off, and is always off, that is with the X12... So maybe the sub can stay as back up...

I did demo Creek amps but with Epos speakers and liked alot the Epic 5, if i had some more space I've bought them! And if you have the chance to buy Creek maybe you have the chance to buy Epos spekers as well, and I think it will suit you. As the Epic 5 have some big strong bass and nice sound stage.

Welcome to the Forum!!!

:cheers:
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
I have heard the Excite X12 with Marantz Pearl Lite cd/amp, they were not for me, the treble was is bit too forward, irritating on drum cymbals. Just my opinion some others like them but prob. work best with a warm amp. Can you hear KEFs out there? The MF M3i seemed a good amp. If you don't need that much power the new Creek 50A is very good. Of DACs I heard I have not found much difference. You may only need a USB dac? There is a cheap one not sure if you can get its called the ODAC, here is a version of it: http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/dacs/e-dac-24bit-miniature-usb-dac/

Also John Kenny are meant to be very good and cost about Euros 525. Instead of a dac you could look into upgrading your sound card, I would check Mac forums for that.
 

Hi-FiOutlaw

Well-known member
Apr 20, 2011
236
0
18,790
BigH said:
I have heard the Excite X12 with Marantz Pearl Lite cd/amp, they were not for me, the treble was is bit too forward, irritating on drum cymbals. Just my opinion some others like them but prob. work best with a warm amp. Can you hear KEFs out there? The MF M3i seemed a good amp. If you don't need that much power the new Creek 50A is very good. Of DACs I heard I have not found much difference. You may only need a USB dac? There is a cheap one not sure if you can get its called the ODAC, here is a version of it: http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/products-page/dacs/e-dac-24bit-miniature-usb-dac/

Also John Kenny are meant to be very good and cost about Euros 525. Instead of a dac you could look into upgrading your sound card, I would check Mac forums for that.
This is just my opinion but i don't think the Pearl Lite has the quality watts to feed the Dyns x12, they where design to be the must easy Dyns to drive but still 86db.

50w amps will "just" do the job, as my Brio R. And the Brio R is a very capable amp to drive some more demanding speakers.

like i've said in the beginning, it's just my opinion... :roll:
 

raian

New member
Jun 24, 2013
4
0
0
Hey thanks for your reply. Well I have read good things about the rega and dyn combo. But how is the sound? I am not aiming for a too forward or too bright sounding system. I want it to be taut, clean, very detalied with good understanding of space and soundstage. but i just might go with Dyn's cause of the silky smooth and detailed sound. I believe the Dyn's are not fatiguing at all. Reading the MF reviews I found out that amp is more suitable for dance and rock music and that caught my attention. BTW there is no pre out from the Rega Brio R amp, so how do you connect a sub?

The system is for my bedroom and the room dimensions are a bit tricky. Cause the room is L shaped. I listen to music while sitting in my desk probably 3 ft. away from the speakers. I have to take exact messurments of the room and I'll let you know. Because the Dyn's are rear ported they need some space to breath. So putting the speakers 8 inches away from the wall might not give me suitable results. I am not sure though. Or I can put some acustical treatment panel if that helps. I guess the Paradigms have an advantage over the Dyn's regarding this!
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
It is is just my opinion but i don't think the Pearl Lite has the quality watts to feed the Dyns x12, they where design to be the must easy Dyns to drive but still 86db.

50w amps will "just" do the job, as my Brio R. And the Brio R is a very capable amp to drive some more demanding speakers.

like i've said in the beginning, it's just my opinion... :roll:
I would have thought the Marantz Pearl Lite has more quality than the Rega, I have heard the Rega was not impressed. By the way the Pearl Lite was £900 and is 70W per channel. Anyway I don't think driving was the problem I had with the X12s.

Someone else on here tried the X12s with Rega Brio R but in the end he found them too harsh, he nearly bought the KEF R100s but in the end went for Rega 3s.
 

raian

New member
Jun 24, 2013
4
0
0
Hey BigH. Initially I was hoping to buy Kef R300 and Marantz PM8004. But sadly they don't have Kef. Marantz PM7004 is available and I can try for an audition. Yes, a USB DAC will be fine by me for now. And I dont want compromise with my sound. I am going to play my music from my Macbook pro, so an external sound card can be an answer. But does sound card work as well as DAC's?
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
raian said:
Hey thanks for your reply. Well I have read good things about the rega and dyn combo. But how is the sound? I am not aiming for a too forward or too bright sounding system. I want it to be taut, clean, very detalied with good understanding of space and soundstage. but i just might go with Dyn's cause of the silky smooth and detailed sound. I believe the Dyn's are not fatiguing at all. Reading the MF reviews I found out that amp is more suitable for dance and rock music and that caught my attention. BTW there is no pre out from the Rega Brio R amp, so how do you connect a sub?

The system is for my bedroom and the room dimensions are a bit tricky. Cause the room is L shaped. I listen to music while sitting in my desk probably 3 ft. away from the speakers. I have to take exact messurments of the room and I'll let you know. Because the Dyn's are rear ported they need some space to breath. So putting the speakers 8 inches away from the wall might not give me suitable results. I am not sure though. Or I can put some acustical treatment panel if that helps. I guess the Paradigms have an advantage over the Dyn's regarding this!
3ft away is generally too close, tweeters and drivers will not intrigrate at that distance, X12s need a bit of space as well I believe. You maybe better off getting some near field studio monitors if you can't get more than 3 feet away. What are you going to put the speakers on?
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
raian said:
Hey BigH. Initially I was hoping to buy Kef R300 and Marantz PM8004. But sadly they don't have Kef. Marantz PM7004 is available and I can try for an audition. Yes, a USB DAC will be fine by me for now. And I dont want compromise with my sound. I am going to play my music from my Macbook pro, so an external sound card can be an answer. But does sound card work as well as DAC's?
Soundcards have dacs in them otherwise you would not hear any music from your digital files.
 

raian

New member
Jun 24, 2013
4
0
0
I will be auditioning Elac (not sure which model) and Quad 11L this weekend. Any good words on these speakers (compared to Dynaudio Excite and Paradigm Studio)?
 

raian

New member
Jun 24, 2013
4
0
0
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Well I do intend to put the speakers on stands. Dynaudio stands are EXPENSIVE!!! $400 for a pair!! Damn!! haha!! Well I can adjust my listening position but speaker positioning is going to be tricky.
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
raian said:
Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Well I do intend to put the speakers on stands. Dynaudio stands are EXPENSIVE!!! $400 for a pair!! Damn!! haha!! Well I can adjust my listening position but speaker positioning is going to be tricky.
Make sure the speaker tweeters are about your ear height. I would not spend $400 on stands plenty of good stands around for about £70.
 

Hi-FiOutlaw

Well-known member
Apr 20, 2011
236
0
18,790
BigH said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
It is is just my opinion but i don't think the Pearl Lite has the quality watts to feed the Dyns x12, they where design to be the must easy Dyns to drive but still 86db.

50w amps will "just" do the job, as my Brio R. And the Brio R is a very capable amp to drive some more demanding speakers.

like i've said in the beginning, it's just my opinion... :roll:
I would have thought the Marantz Pearl Lite has more quality than the Rega, I have heard the Rega was not impressed. By the way the Pearl Lite was £900 and is 70W per channel. Anyway I don't think driving was the problem I had with the X12s.

Someone else on here tried the X12s with Rega Brio R but in the end he found them too harsh, he nearly bought the KEF R100s but in the end went for Rega 3s.
Like i've said it was just my opinion...

And an amp costing more £400 and having more 30watts per channel doesn't mean that it will be more efficient than all the amps with less Watts per channel and costing less.

Rega Brio R was tamed to be a 50w amp, that's why he is abble to drive some more demanding speakers, and thats the reason that I think that the Brio R is more efficient in providing power to the Dyns X12 that the Matantz Pearl Lite.

Regardering other member finding the Rega Brio R / Dyns x12 combo "harsh" it is his oppinion and has every right to have it!

As I find the Combo to have a lovely and delightful sound, with a very clean and present sound stage, deep and fast bass, a silky mid range and the most realistic and talent speakers regardering reproducing acoustic music and voices in this price range.

:cheers:
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
Yes just difference opinions thats what forums are about. I found the Rega Brio R struggled with the B&W CM1s and started sounding harsh when turned up a bit. I think amps in the £700 range had more detail and control, others have said that as well someone else upgraded from the Rega to an Arcam A19. Im sure the rega is a good amp. at its price but there are better ones for a bit more money IMO.
 

Hi-FiOutlaw

Well-known member
Apr 20, 2011
236
0
18,790
BigH said:
Yes just difference opinions thats what forums are about. I found the Rega Brio R struggled with the B&W CM1s and started sounding harsh when turned up a bit. I think amps in the £700 range had more detail and control, others have said that as well someone else upgraded from the Rega to an Arcam A19. Im sure the rega is a good amp. at its price but there are better ones for a bit more money IMO.
For my listening volumes 80% of the time that is between 8 and 10 o'clock the Brio R is doing a wonderful job!

But I do want to demo the Elicit R and see if is worth a 1200€ investment....
 

raian

New member
Jun 24, 2013
4
0
0
Hi-FiOutlaw is it possible to connect a sub with the Rega Brio R? it has no pre out right?
 

plastic penguin

Well-known member
Apr 28, 2008
1,674
121
19,870
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
BigH said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
It is is just my opinion but i don't think the Pearl Lite has the quality watts to feed the Dyns x12, they where design to be the must easy Dyns to drive but still 86db.

50w amps will "just" do the job, as my Brio R. And the Brio R is a very capable amp to drive some more demanding speakers.

like i've said in the beginning, it's just my opinion... :roll:
I would have thought the Marantz Pearl Lite has more quality than the Rega, I have heard the Rega was not impressed. By the way the Pearl Lite was £900 and is 70W per channel. Anyway I don't think driving was the problem I had with the X12s.

Someone else on here tried the X12s with Rega Brio R but in the end he found them too harsh, he nearly bought the KEF R100s but in the end went for Rega 3s.
Like i've said it was just my opinion...

And an amp costing more £400 and having more 30watts per channel doesn't mean that it will be more efficient than all the amps with less Watts per channel and costing less.

Rega Brio R was tamed to be a 50w amp, that's why he is abble to drive some more demanding speakers, and thats the reason that I think that the Brio R is more efficient in providing power to the Dyns X12 that the Matantz Pearl Lite.

Regardering other member finding the Rega Brio R / Dyns x12 combo "harsh" it is his oppinion and has every right to have it!

As I find the Combo to have a lovely and delightful sound, with a very clean and present sound stage, deep and fast bass, a silky mid range and the most realistic and talent speakers regardering reproducing acoustic music and voices in this price range.

:cheers:
I would say the Marantz Pearls have more than enough quality, but the issue IMHO is more about tonal qualities. Having heard midrange Marantzes (not the Pearl Lite) they tend to be a little warm and laid back, similar, in some ways, to early Arcams.
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
raian said:
Hi-FiOutlaw is it possible to connect a sub with the Rega Brio R? it has no pre out right?
It has no preout, but if you have a sub with speaker level inputs you could use those.
 

Hi-FiOutlaw

Well-known member
Apr 20, 2011
236
0
18,790
andybeau said:
raian said:
Hi-FiOutlaw is it possible to connect a sub with the Rega Brio R? it has no pre out right?
It has no preout, but if you have a sub with speaker level inputs you could use those.
Sorry Raian, but this question pass unnoutice!

The Brio R has no pre-outputs what so ever, it has only a record out put to any recordeble divices.

my Sub is a BK XLS200 DF and has a high level input (neutric speakon interconnect) for Hi-Fi amps with no sub output and Low Level Input to connect a AV amp for suround duties.

This way you can have the best of two worlds. Or you have the possibility to connect a sub to a Hi-Fi amp with no sub output.

http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/XLS200%20MK2%20MANUAL.pdf
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
plastic penguin said:
I would say the Marantz Pearls have more than enough quality, but the issue IMHO is more about tonal qualities. Having heard midrange Marantzes (not the Pearl Lite) they tend to be a little warm and laid back, similar, in some ways, to early Arcams.
Well correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think you have heard either, Ive seen your comments before about Pearl Lites and Excite X12s and I think you are generallising about brands. The x12s are not warm, they are detailed and if anything a bit on the neutral/cool side that why a warm amp may work like the Rega, certainly the TAnnoy Precision 6.1s were much warmer and laid-back. Also I did not find the Pearl Lite warm either, fairly neutral I would say.
 

raian

New member
Jun 24, 2013
4
0
0
Went to audition Dyn excite x12 again today. Something was off! I dont know. Specially the high! Well today I listened to Guns n Roses, Nrivana and it was missing something. And now I am sad :cry: . Dyn's were connected to a tube amp just like the last time! No idea what happened. Then tried the Quad 11L. Which was better than the Dyn's. High was noticable, sound was heavier, foward but not bright. But not what I was looking for. That tauting sound with clear highs and mids. I guess I have to have a blind faith on Paradigm based on atricles and reviews! And based on reviews Paradigm is a good match with the MF M3i amp. Does any one know the current price of Paradigm Studio 20 v5?
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
0
0
In the UK they are about £1,400 which is nearly x2 the the X12 price. As the Paradigm are USA based that maybe a bit misleading to you, also not very common in UK .
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts