Amp upgrade suggestions

MrWatermelonMan

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade my current Cambridge Audio Azur 340a amp. I've got some ideas and will be auditioning in a week or two but my current list is a bit too long and I'd really like to narrow it down, to save time and confusion. My budget is around the £500-600 mark but potentially flexible up to a grand at a push if I'd really hear a marked improvement in soundstage etc. I listen to a range of music but mainly rock, soul, funk, jazz and ambient/chilled out electronica. I also use the amp for watching DVDs & some TV. I dont generally play music loud so looking for good presentation at lower volumes, as neutral as possible, but overall probably prefer a rich/warm sound over clinical. Room size is about 3.5x4.5m, if that helps.

Current set up: Cambridge Audio Azur 340A, CA Azur 340C, Rega RP1 (& Rega Fono Mini) & Dali Zensor 5s

Current shortlist: Marantz PM6005 (not sure how much of an improvement this would be); NAD C 326BEE or 356BEE DAC; Rotel RA11 or RA12; Rega Brio-R; Arcam FMJ A19 (widely regarded but 2 people on this forum have said it doesn't pair well with the Dali's); Roksan Kandy k2 (I've been told this may be a bit much for the Dali's); Rega Elex-R; Naim Nait 5si; Musical Fidelity M3si.

I would not rule out higher spec'd Cambridge Audio, Marantz, Pioneer, Denon etc.

In terms of auditioning, the two shops I'm planning on visiting dont sell Dali speakers but I've been told that B&W should be a good comparison in terms of being an open, detailed speaker. Any thoughts? I know RS sell Dali's but I'm trying to avoid that route.

Thanks in advance for any input / recommendations / advice you can offer.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi im not sure how low you listen as everyone has different views but i have a kandy k2 and if i listen at volumes between 8 and 9 o clock it sounds a bit weak. Its only when it approahes 9 that it comes alive. But i recomend the kandy k2 as the sound is very good and your getting a lot of amp for the money.

rainsoothe

I think your amp shortlist is just fine - just give yourself more time and audition all. BUT - regarding your current system - is there anything in particular you'd like to improve on? You might also wanna check out standmounts (B&W 685 S2, Focal Aria 906, XTZ 93.23 mkII should partner great with most of the amps you listed), as I think floorstanders are a bit big for your roomsize (they were for my 4x4m room).

SteveR750

Good list, and try to audition as many as you can, bearing in mind the logistics of travelling to and from a retailer who has them on demo, so don't panic if you only actually get to hear half of your list

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Do you like the sound you have right now, but you are just hoping for a little more? Maybe worth sticking with Cambridge gear, otherwise you might upset the balance of your system. All the amps you mention are good, but they are all different and may not work for your hifi in your room and for your ears. Another CA amp would be less of a risk.

MrWatermelonMan

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
rainsoothe said:
I think your amp shortlist is just fine - just give yourself more time and audition all. BUT - regarding your current system - is there anything in particular you'd like to improve on? You might also wanna check out standmounts (B&W 685 S2, Focal Aria 906, XTZ 93.23 mkII should partner great with most of the amps you listed), as I think floorstanders are a bit big for your roomsize (they were for my 4x4m room).

Hi rainsoothe, thanks for the suggestion but I've only recently bought the Dali's as I saw an open box offer of £370, which I couldn't resist. The Zensor 5's are nice and petit too. I've wanted floorstanders for some time and my justification to my wife is that, a) they look nicer than the standmounts they replaced and, b) they're safer than the standmounts with our 2 year old running about (although I've got him fairly well trained in terms of staying away from daddys hifi gear).

I now want to upgrade the amp as I originally bought it second hand as part of a new set up 3 1/2 years ago when I had to start from scratch. My intention was always to upgrade and buying the Dali's has instigated this now. I do like the CA 340a with my QA2020i's (which are now hooked up to my MCR610) but I dont think it does the Dali's justice.

Cheers

MrWatermelonMan

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
wilro15 said:
Do you like the sound you have right now, but you are just hoping for a little more? Maybe worth sticking with Cambridge gear, otherwise you might upset the balance of your system. All the amps you mention are good, but they are all different and may not work for your hifi in your room and for your ears. Another CA amp would be less of a risk.

Hi Wilro, to be honest its ok but sounds like it needs more power and I think its a tad bright/clinical for my taste, but not sure if a more powerful CA amp would help. I gather CA gear can be fairly bright sounding (although it worked well with the QA2020i's). I kind of fancy something different although I can see the logic of stayting with CA as I'm keeping the CA CD player (for now at least). Also, I'm bit annoyed with having CA stuff pushed by RS, although they deny this happens.

MrWatermelonMan

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Covenanter said:
You can get the Marantz PM8005 for around £650 and I can tell you that it is an excellent piece of kit.

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks, I was thinking about the PM7005 or 8005 too. Do you think they're a good match for the Dali's? Unfortunately I think my local shops only seem to stock the 6005.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Lots of good choices.

Why not complement the sleek look of your new speakers with some half width products from Rega which would be the obvious choice as you already have some of their products or perhaps cyrus?

It will score points with your other half and stand you in good stead if you want to add more boxes.

Although women often say size doesn't matter they can be very quick associating large with cost :)

radiorog

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
If you are considering the k2, I would say you could be wise to look at the k2bt as there has been a price drop. With the usual 10% off you could pick one up for £700. There is apparently a slight sound improvement over the k2. I actually found it very good at low volumes.

Covenanter

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
MrWatermelonMan said:
Covenanter said:
You can get the Marantz PM8005 for around £650 and I can tell you that it is an excellent piece of kit.

Chris

Hi Chris, thanks, I was thinking about the PM7005 or 8005 too. Do you think they're a good match for the Dali's? Unfortunately I think my local shops only seem to stock the 6005.

I'm afraid I've not heard it with the Dali's and I'm a great believer in auditioning so would not wish to give you advice "unheard".

Chris

C

chartsandmodels

You don’t have to worry anymore. We are here to solve all the project related issues. We have tried to cover almost all spheres and chapters of Biology for your convenience.

http://chartsandmodels.com/

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I thought the Creek 50A was the best out of about 10 amps between £500-£1000 I heard. Dont agree about B&W speakers being detailed and open. Croft is another amp that gets lots of rave reviews from users but not sure how you can audition it. I only heard the Arcam A19 for a short time and that was with B&W CM1s which some say is not a good combination, B&W are better with Rotel, was not impressed with Arcam, others have found it dull and boring also.

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
rega is a good option but can be a little lean, if you don't mind looking at the second hand market i would say something like the leema elements would be a nice option.

MrWatermelonMan

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll just have to take my time and try to audition as many amps as possible.

I may have to delay the purchase for awhile anyway as the ovens just packed in :-(

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts