Looking to change (upgrade?) my setup

iamsuperstarr

Jun 30, 2023
Visit site
Hi, so I am looking to change and potentially upgrade my setup.

A little background - back around 2011/2012 I got my first Hi-Fi setup which consisted of a set of Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 speakers paired with a Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10 amp. To be honest I wasn't quite sure what I was buying into, but basically at that time I knew I wanted a Hi-Fi setup as I wanted to move away from your typical computer speakers and the guy at the shop recommended me this pairing based on my budget, plus it sounded fantastic during the demo and I was sold.

In the past couple of years, I've been thinking of changing my setup and maybe upgrading it and I made a visit to my local Hi-Fi store and I was recommended the KEF Q150s paired with Bluesound's Powernode amp + DAC combo. I was quite blown away during the demo but my question is, is this an upgrade? Despite my research into speakers and amps over the years, a lot of the technical stuff still flies over my head, so I'm not necessarily sure if this recommendation is an upgrade over my current setup.

For context, I mostly use my setup with my PC to watch movies, listen to music, and play games. Some might think it's overkill but honestly after using my current setup for more than a decade, it's hard for me to go back to your typical PC speakers.

In terms of price, it's pretty much double that of my current rig so I was hoping for a little insight from the community before I make my decision. Thanks in advance!

A little background - back around 2011/2012 I got my first Hi-Fi setup which consisted of a set of Monitor Audio Bronze BX2 speakers paired with a Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10 amp. To be honest I wasn't quite sure what I was buying into, but basically at that time I knew I wanted a Hi-Fi setup as I wanted to move away from your typical computer speakers and the guy at the shop recommended me this pairing based on my budget, plus it sounded fantastic during the demo and I was sold.

In the past couple of years, I've been thinking of changing my setup and maybe upgrading it and I made a visit to my local Hi-Fi store and I was recommended the KEF Q150s paired with Bluesound's Powernode amp + DAC combo. I was quite blown away during the demo but my question is, is this an upgrade? Despite my research into speakers and amps over the years, a lot of the technical stuff still flies over my head, so I'm not necessarily sure if this recommendation is an upgrade over my current setup.

For context, I mostly use my setup with my PC to watch movies, listen to music, and play games. Some might think it's overkill but honestly after using my current setup for more than a decade, it's hard for me to go back to your typical PC speakers.

In terms of price, it's pretty much double that of my current rig so I was hoping for a little insight from the community before I make my decision. Thanks in advance!
Hi and welcome to the madhouse. 🙂

Firstly, the Topaz was Cambridges entry-level amp and to be honest wasn't that good. Not surprised the Bluesound Powernode sounded impressive.

Depends how many inputs you need and whether you want other digital inputs.

Personally I would keep the Monitor Audio speakers. They are very good. Then, for a compact all-in-one, I'd plump for a Marantz Melody 412. Heard the earlier incarnation the 603 and it was very impressive beyond its price point. It also supports Bluetooth and Apple Airplay.

If you have Richer Sounds go and demo one.

Reactions: iamsuperstarr

Just looked again, Richer Sounds no longer stock this item. However, it is still current model.

This is what it looks like:

iamsuperstarr

Jun 30, 2023
Visit site
Hi and welcome to the madhouse. 🙂

Firstly, the Topaz was Cambridges entry-level amp and to be honest wasn't that good. Not surprised the Bluesound Powernode sounded impressive.

Depends how many inputs you need and whether you want other digital inputs.

Personally I would keep the Monitor Audio speakers. They are very good. Then, for a compact all-in-one, I'd plump for a Marantz Melody 412. Heard the earlier incarnation the 603 and it was very impressive beyond its price point. It also supports Bluetooth and Apple Airplay.

If you have Richer Sounds go and demo one.
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to see if any of my local audio shops have the Marantz in stock for a demo!

Actually the salesperson recommended the KEFs to me because apparently the MAs were designed for audio monitoring in mind, like in a studio, versus general listening, but I'm not sure if he was trying to upsell me.

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll have to see if any of my local audio shops have the Marantz in stock for a demo!

Actually the salesperson recommended the KEFs to me because apparently the MAs were designed for audio monitoring in mind, like in a studio, versus general listening, but I'm not sure if he was trying to upsell me.
I think the sales person is giving you a load of flannel. I've owned Monitor Audio RS6 since 2005, and they are fabulous domestic speakers. The sales person is just playing on the name to get you part with more money.

Get the amp sorted, as Marantz and Monitor Audio work a treat together, and then you can upgrade the speakers further down the line.

Monitor Audio have never made speakers for a professional use. That's not to say they weren't used in a studio. A lot well respected speakers have been used in studios, including the likes of PMC, ProAc, Kef.... in fact, the Kef LS50s were based on the ethos of the old BBC monitors, used extensively in their studios in the 1960s and early 70s.

iamsuperstarr

Jun 30, 2023
Visit site
I think the sales person is giving you a load of flannel. I've owned Monitor Audio RS6 since 2005, and they are fabulous domestic speakers. The sales person is just playing on the name to get you part with more money.

Get the amp sorted, as Marantz and Monitor Audio work a treat together, and then you can upgrade the speakers further down the line.
Got it, I guess I'll just look at upgrading my amp first, maybe revisit the speakers further down the line. Thanks! :)

Reactions: plastic penguin

matthewpianist

I concur with @plastic penguin. The BX2s are fabulous speakers, and absolutely designed for domestic use. You would have to go well beyond the KEF Q150 to improve on the MA sufficiently to make it worthwhile. If I had to sell my existing speakers and move to secondhand BX2s I wouldn't feel I'd lost much, if anything.

If you don't need a CD player I suggest looking at the NAD D3020 V2.0. It's compact and sounds great. It will work very nicely with the Monitor Audios and be a significant upgrade on your Cambridge.

Last edited:

agreed, with sales persons like that I would be looking at a different dealer.

Gray

You should have told him you're into the monitor sound 🙂

Actually, I am, so his attempt at upselling would have backfired on me.
Mind you, I can honestly say that nobody has ever 'sold' me anything - so naturally I agree with others here when they tell you to lose him 👍

iamsuperstarr

Jun 30, 2023
Visit site
I concur with @plastic penguin. The BX2s are fabulous speakers, and absolutely designed for domestic use. You would have to go well beyond the KEF Q150 to improve on the MA sufficiently to make it worthwhile. If I had to sell my existing speakers and move to secondhand BX2s I wouldn't feel I'd lost much, if anything.

If you don't need a CD player I suggest looking at the NAD D3020 V2.0. It's compact and sounds great. It will work very nicely with the Monitor Audios and be a significant upgrade on your Cambridge.
Yea this is pretty much what I was looking for, while the KEF Q150 + Powernode combo sounded fantastic, I wasn't sure if it would be worth twice my current setup without being able to compare them side-by-side, especially in a non-acoustically treated setting.

Anyway, thanks for the NAD D3020 recommendation, I will check it out along with the Marantz!

Reactions: plastic penguin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts