FlyingPig

Jun 19, 2023
Visit site
Hello there all!
I am planning to buy a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 12.2 speakers, and now I'm thinking about an amp to pair with them.
I mostly listen to progressive and classic rock. Phono and digital inputs are welcome, but I'm willing to buy a dac or a preamp later on, so neither of those are deal-breakers.
These are the current options:
-Yamaha A-S301 (205usd)
-Onkyo A-9030 (230usd)
-Rotel RA-10 (220usd)
-NAD D3020 (235 usd)
-Cambridge Audio Azur 640A
Since Wharfedales are warmer-sounding speakers, I was mainly thinking about the Onkyo, just got a bit confused...
Thanks for the help in advance lads!

What are your sources going to be?
That said, out of your list I would take the Rotel first Denon second, but thats just me.
Any of those amplifiers will drive those speakers well so it all depends on what functions you require the amp to have

FlyingPig

Jun 19, 2023
Visit site
Gonna use a digital output, using Tidal probably... The most ipmortant thing is not a built in DAC, simply because I might purchase one later on, the focus would be on overall sound quality. Was thinking about the Yamaha and Rotel, because I'm not saying that I've not heard any negatives about them, but not much at all and I like their balanced sound, so both of those seem to be a safe choice.
I've just watched a video about the Onkyo (to be honest, its bigger brother, the 9050) and it seemed to have crisp highs and a fantastic, open sound, the only thing I'm afraid of is bass and the loss of lower section, since I probably I won't be using a sub.

Gonna use a digital output, using Tidal probably... The most ipmortant thing is not a built in DAC, simply because I might purchase one later on, the focus would be on overall sound quality. Was thinking about the Yamaha and Rotel, because I'm not saying that I've not heard any negatives about them, but not much at all and I like their balanced sound, so both of those seem to be a safe choice.
I've just watched a video about the Onkyo (to be honest, its bigger brother, the 9050) and it seemed to have crisp highs and a fantastic, open sound, the only thing I'm afraid of is bass and the loss of lower section, since I probably I won't be using a sub.
people sometimes believe you simply must have lot s of bass, I'd say sometimes you can have too much. Forgot sub and get the right speakers for your room.

matthewpianist

I've had a lot of experience with Rotel amps (RA920AX, RA01, RA04, RA04SE, RA06, A11 Tribute), and they are very very hard to beat, hence I've kept coming back to them. Straight forward, musically engaging, nicely made...

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts