New amp: Yamaha a s301, ONKYO 9010 or Nad c316bee?

Charlotte

Jan 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi!

I'm a Hifi newbie and need some advice on which amplifier to buy for my Rega P1. My eyes are on the yamaha a s301, onkyo 9010 and Nad c316bee.
Which one should I buy? Any comparison or recommendation would be appreciated.
Speakers are next on my list, but feel free to suggest some if you know a good pair for a low budget :)

Thanks in advance,
Charlotte

matthewpiano

My pick would be the NAD C316BEE V2. It's a great amp for the money and offers the typically engaging and musical NAD sound, with good current delivery - again a NAD norm.

Speakers? At affordable prices I'm happy to recommend the Dali Spektor 2s. I use a pair on my upstairs system and they're a pleasure to listen to.

Reactions: Charlotte
Hi!

I'm a Hifi newbie and need some advice on which amplifier to buy for my Rega P1. My eyes are on the yamaha a s301, onkyo 9010 and Nad c316bee.
Which one should I buy? Any comparison or recommendation would be appreciated.
Speakers are next on my list, but feel free to suggest some if you know a good pair for a low budget :)

Thanks in advance,
Charlotte
Welcome to the forum.
I would suggest the Onkyo as not sure the NAD has a phono stage.

Would help if we had a budget for the speakers.

NorthEastVinyl

Dec 10, 2020
Visit site
Hello,

I am no expert and have no experience of the other two options but have a 9010, which does indeed have a phono stage and it is driving a Rega Planar 1. I am absolutely delighted with my simple set up and for my room size (4m x 5m) I feel it does a really good job and delivers terrific, balanced results. For my outlay, I feel I have got a good quality set up.

My speakers are Q Acoustics 3010i. I need to position my speakers relatively close to the wall and these seem to cope with that restriction very well and also complete the system package well too.

Last edited:

Charlotte

Jan 17, 2021
Visit site
Hi! Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. I was leaning towards the ONKYO a9010 but I don't think stores sell them anymore and I can't find one second-hand. I guess that leaves me with the NAD V2 .

Before I buy this one though, I wanted to ask one last question. Does anyone here have experience with the Marantz PM6006? Someone recommended it to me as well and I can buy one for a good price.

About the speakers: my budget is around 100 - 250 pounds/euro.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
If I dare to suggest something different.
The following works well with the RP1.
Rotel Amp (I have the ra10, but don't think these are sold still, so something similar).
Dali Zensor speakers. Although any reasonably priced DALIs would probably do. I have the Zensor 1.

I tried what I think was the previous version of the Marantz, and whilst good, I didn't like it as much as the Rotel.

If you want a simple, reasonably priced, analogue system, you can't go too far wrong with RP1, Rotel, Dali Zensors.
Not of course, that I'm trying to sway you to follow my lead! Lol

rainsoothe

Hi! Thanks everyone for your replies and advice. I was leaning towards the ONKYO a9010 but I don't think stores sell them anymore and I can't find one second-hand. I guess that leaves me with the NAD V2 .

Before I buy this one though, I wanted to ask one last question. Does anyone here have experience with the Marantz PM6006? Someone recommended it to me as well and I can buy one for a good price.

About the speakers: my budget is around 100 - 250 pounds/euro.
Yes, if you can, do get the Marantz instead. It also works a treat with Dali. The Rotel suggestion is also good, but I doubt you can find one to fit your budget.

Yes, this was added when the V2.0 was released, and NAD are very good at phono stages. Both my PP3 external stage and the one built into my C368 are excellent.
Thanks, it was just Charlotte didn't mention the V2 version and didn't want there to be any confusion.
regarding speakers, the Dalis are good but I suggest you also look at the Wharfedale Diamond 9.1 or for a little more the Elac Debut b5.2

Last edited:

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I think the best thing you can do is try them all out first.
Certainly, when I came to checking my options out, I had all but decided on the Marantz, as I was getting their CD player as well.
Then I heard the Rotel.

Whilst not trying to make you buy a Rotel, the point is, I don't get all the raving around Marantz. But, they were my ears. Everybody else has different ears.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
The Rotel suggestion is also good, but I doubt you can find one to fit your budget.

I could be persuaded to sell mine. If the OP is happy 2nd hand.
It is nice and simple. 40w per channel I think. No digital inputs. Simple to use.
Works a treat between my RP1 and Zensor 1s. Doing just what it should do.

rainsoothe

I think the best thing you can do is try them all out first.
Certainly, when I came to checking my options out, I had all but decided on the Marantz, as I was getting their CD player as well.
Then I heard the Rotel.

Whilst not trying to make you buy a Rotel, the point is, I don't get all the raving around Marantz. But, they were my ears. Everybody else has different ears.
I like Marantz for that liquid and smooth sound, which also has enough punch. Rotel is faster, but some can find them a bit bright or... "gray" sounding.

James83

Apr 2, 2015
Visit site
I shall search back and copy what I wrote about the Marantz and Rotel. See how much we agree or disagree by!!!

Rotel v Marantz, and Dali v a pair of Wharfedales. Unsure which ones.
This was back in 2015:

"Nope, joking aside, the CD player was obviously the Marantz, combined with the Rotel amp and Zensor 1s. The best combination by far. The Rotel amp had more clarity and depth to it than the Marantz. I thought the Marantz was good at first, but then was surprised to hear the Rotel knock it for 6. All the more amazing because I had already decided on the full Marantz set up before I listened to the Rotel as I prefered the look of the Marantz. So to overcome that was pretty good going. It sounded like the Marantz was going for a more neutral sound, and so lacked some of the depth of the Rotel. The Rotel worked whether it was Dire Straits/ Eric Clapton, or the soothing voice of Ruth Moody.

Speakers wise, the Dali's had more detail and energy to them. Sounded like a live performance at times. The Wharfedales in comparison were like a blunt squib. Is there such a thing?!!

The Wharfedales sounded muffled, especially on songs that would have some bass to it. Like they tried to exagerate the bass, but then pulled back at the last second. There wasnt the energy either. Listen to Ruth Moody live, and you feel like you are in heaven. The Dali's brought that feeling back. Wharfedales couldnt"

TRENDING THREADS