Rega amplifier speaker pairing?

jetblack9090

Nov 18, 2022
Visit site
So everybody I'm an American and I've become very fond over the years to Rega products, specifically their turntables and more recently they're amplifiers. I've been using a rega elex r with some older JBL loudspeakers, I feel it's been a fantastic pairing and has sounded good to me in all circumstances.

Recently the JBL's have developed a tweeter fault that is non-repairable, so I'm on the lookout for new speakers. My wife and I recently moved so no longer need large fore standing speakers and what actually prefer smaller bookshelf or stand mount speakers. My budget is somewhere in the neighborhood of a thousand bucks and I'm curious what you guys would recommend.

Now just as a side note over the years I've heard kef LS50s as well as the q150 and to be honest with you I wasn't totally impressed. I also at one time in a bedroom system had a set of dali spektor bookshelves that I enjoyed the sound of however it was something I didn't like long term.

I guess my question for everybody and specifically people who have had that particular pairing, is I'm looking at the mission LX2 mark 2, and also the fyne audio f301.

I understand Rega has their speakers as well however it seems to be in the US Rega only sell the kyte now, so their higher end offerings are no longer available.

Anyway any particular advice or what have you would be greatly appreciated, thank you

oldie

Nov 9, 2021
Visit site
If you don't want to buy new, try and find a pair of Kef R300...they will sound fantastic with the either the Rega Elex or the Rega Elicit.

rainsoothe

So everybody I'm an American and I've become very fond over the years to Rega products, specifically their turntables and more recently they're amplifiers. I've been using a rega elex r with some older JBL loudspeakers, I feel it's been a fantastic pairing and has sounded good to me in all circumstances.

Recently the JBL's have developed a tweeter fault that is non-repairable, so I'm on the lookout for new speakers. My wife and I recently moved so no longer need large fore standing speakers and what actually prefer smaller bookshelf or stand mount speakers. My budget is somewhere in the neighborhood of a thousand bucks and I'm curious what you guys would recommend.

Now just as a side note over the years I've heard kef LS50s as well as the q150 and to be honest with you I wasn't totally impressed. I also at one time in a bedroom system had a set of dali spektor bookshelves that I enjoyed the sound of however it was something I didn't like long term.

I guess my question for everybody and specifically people who have had that particular pairing, is I'm looking at the mission LX2 mark 2, and also the fyne audio f301.

I understand Rega has their speakers as well however it seems to be in the US Rega only sell the kyte now, so their higher end offerings are no longer available.

Anyway any particular advice or what have you would be greatly appreciated, thank you
Hi - I'd look at US / canadian brands. How's about Martin Logan Motion something for a demo? Or Revel Performa 3 M106? Those are stelar speakers. On a lower budget, I'd also give Focal Chora 806 or Quad S2 very serious consideration (especially the Quad).

jetblack9090

Nov 18, 2022
Visit site
Hi - I'd look at US / canadian brands. How's about Martin Logan Motion something for a demo? Or Revel Performa 3 M106? Those are stelar speakers. On a lower budget, I'd also give Focal Chora 806 or Quad S2 very serious consideration (especially the Quad).
I've heard a few Martin Logan over the year, and I guess I just prefer a traditional dynamic speaker as opposed to something with an air motion tweeter. That said though I don't know I've always been of the assumption that focal was out of my budget, I guess I associate them with being more expensive being more expensive

Din5

Jun 27, 2021
Visit site
If you don't want to buy new, try and find a pair of Kef R300...they will sound fantastic with the either the Rega Elex or the Rega Elicit.
Yes, both are great amps, if I remember correctly WHFi reviewed the new Wharfedale Linton speakers with a Rega Elex-r amp with good results, They also mention KEF R3 should work well.

Reactions: oldie

rainsoothe

I've heard a few Martin Logan over the year, and I guess I just prefer a traditional dynamic speaker as opposed to something with an air motion tweeter. That said though I don't know I've always been of the assumption that focal was out of my budget, I guess I associate them with being more expensive being more expensive
Oh, interesting - I also have a love-hate relationship with ribbon tweeters - I like them on some speakers, hate them on others (most, actually, so I can relate to your preferance to normal drivers). The Focal Chora is entry-ish I guess... The Revels are wonderful, but might be out of your budget. They also need a lot of space, the focals are very un-fussy with positioning.

Smiler73

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
If you like tradiontal speakers I own Monitor Audio Bronze and Silver 100's so depending on your budget I can whole heartedly recommend them both. Andrew Jones on YT likes the silvers too...

I have a Rega Brio and they sound great!

Din5

Jun 27, 2021
Visit site
I auditioned the Monitor Audio SIlver 200 6G small floor-stander, very impressive indeed, I can imagine they would work well with the Elex-R.
I wouldn't mind having a pair of those speaker tucked away !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts