Marantz PM6005 + CD6005 Combo or Arcam FMJ A19? Need help

JeromeMF

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys,

I have a pair os B&W 685s2 and I want to change my amplifier. I am using an outdated AV Amp and I want to replace it.

I was thinking about the Arcam FMJ A19 but it seems the Marantz PM6005 pairs well with my speakers.

The thing is, I can find a combo of the Marantz PM6005 + CD6005 at more or less the same price of the Arcam A19.

It hard for me to audition these amps where I live so I was hoping you guys could help. I like the Arcam A19 and I think it will be really good to have it. On the other hand I have a really sweet deal for the Marantz combo.

What are you advices? Should I just invest in the Arcam A19 or should I go for the Marantz combo? I'm looking for the best SQ of course!

I also already have a DAC (Musical Fidelity M1Dac) that i'll replace a little bit later in these next few months (I'm thinkin the irDac if go with the A19).

Thanks

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
JeromeMF said:
Hey guys,

I have a pair os B&W 685s2 and I want to change my amplifier. I am using an outdated AV Amp and I want to replace it.

I was thinking about the Arcam FMJ A19 but it seems the Marantz PM6005 pairs well with my speakers.

The thing is, I can find a combo of the Marantz PM6005 + CD6005 at more or less the same price of the Arcam A19.

It hard for me to audition these amps where I live so I was hoping you guys could help. I like the Arcam A19 and I think it will be really good to have it. On the other hand I have a really sweet deal for the Marantz combo.

What are you advices? Should I just invest in the Arcam A19 or should I go for the Marantz combo? I'm looking for the best SQ of course!

I also already have a DAC (Musical Fidelity M1Dac) that i'll replace a little bit later in these next few months (I'm thinkin the irDac if go with the A19).

Thanks
the marantz pm6005 + cd6005 are both £245 each which is cheaper then the arcam a19 is on its own which sells for £600 . the marantz pm6005 + cd6005 have dacs inside both units the arcam irdac on its own is £400 plus £600 arcam a19 = £1000 but you can get both amp + cd player from marantz £490 which is good value for money . but some people think the arcam is a much better amp then the marantz but the marantz is a nise warm sound to it then the arcam did but i do recomend you go and get a demo on both amps first before you make your mind up on this . please do not buy blind and sure both amps will be ok with your speakers

JeromeMF

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I'll try to demo both but I'm having a hard time with that.

I;m just curious to know if the A19 difference in price is really worth it. From what I've seen so far I'd say yes.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
JeromeMF said:
I'll try to demo both but I'm having a hard time with that.

I;m just curious to know if the A19 difference in price is really worth it. From what I've seen so far I'd say yes.

The Arcam A18 and A19 (and Solo models) and my Quad Vena (amp + DAC) and the Audio Analogue Crescendo integrated amp and Cambridge Audio Azur 351A (!) are all based on similar implementations of the same Texas Instruments LM3886 'amplifier on a chip' module. (There are a few other 'commercial' amps using it but I can't recall them all.)

Don't worry. It's a good device and well specified with low distortion ...

68W Cont. Avg. Output Power into 4Ω at VCC = ±28V

38W Cont. Avg. Output Power into 8Ω at VCC = ±28V

50W Cont. Avg. Output Power into 8Ω at VCC = ±35V

135W Instantaneous Peak Output Power Capability.

(The above is quoted from the manufacturer.)

If used with loudspeakers around 90dB sensitivity (with well behaved impedance characteristics) it'll sound fine. My Quad Vena sounds gorgeous.

Just be aware of this when Arcam ask you for £700 and CA ask for £300 (at launch, much less now). My Quad Vena is £599 but you also get a high quality built-in DAC with 2 x optical and coax and 2 x USB and Bluetooth wireless.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
i had a demo on the arcam a19 and i felt that it sounded cold & nautral sound to it which i did not like the marantz i felt had a nice warm sound to it which i did like this is why i say demo first as you may like the arcam better but i thought the next amp up from the arcam a19 sounded better but this is just my option on this amps but sure someone who owns the arcam a19 will tell you more but the arcam is a lot more money which i think is not worth it

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
You have B&W speakers, get a Rotel amp & CD player. They are made to go together. Get the best Rotel you can afford - even going second hand / ex-display / ex-demo.

matthewpiano

I agree with wilro. Rotel is usually the best option for B&W speakers. An RA-10 would dop the job well, but if you want extra power and digital inputs the RA12 is a good option.

The other brand I've found works very well with B&W is NAD. A C356BEE could be had for about the same as an Arcam A19, and I know which I would rather have, and by some margin too.

If at all possible, go and have a listen before you buy. If you don't get an amp with a DAC built in, I'm not really sure why you would change your MF M1 DAC. Sound-wise I think it would be hard to improve on.

JeromeMF

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I actually went to a store to check on a Rotel RA-12 but the guy tried to sell me the Cambridge Audio CXA-80 saying ti was way better (I was not convinced btw.. it sounded like sellers talk). I can actually afford the RA-12 at that store since they're selling it at a pretty good price lower than the Arcam.

I can ask if they will let me ear it with my speakers but if it's not possible you guys thinks that would be the best option around those prices?

And I wouldn't need my MF M1DAC since it has an internal DAC.

Bromiley

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
I have the same speakers as you and have tested the Cambridge CXA80, Rotel RA12 and Quad Vena. The CXA80 was better than the RA12 and has better connections e.g. the USB DAC and more. However, it was too bright and clinical with the B&W 685s2. I found that the Quad Vena was a perfect match for the speakers. Plus, it has all the connections for my needs. I would urge you to test the Vena before making your mind up.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
BlackSabbath, what does warm mean in this context?

To my ears it usually means dull or compromised.

The Arcam is the better amp and will live with upgrades the Marantz is built to a lower budget which you'll only really start to appreciate after a few months of ownership..... Or not.

If you already have a source go with the Arcam would be my recommendation.

Have to confess I've never heard either - but you pays your money and....... I forget how that quote ends.

rainsoothe

Hi. I'd say go for the Arcam. It's not cold at all, it's on the warm side of neutral. I also love the Marantz PM6005, but it's better suited for speakers like Dali Zensor 3, and will not have the heft and scale of the A19. Rotel is also a great match for B&W, but it's a more "matter of fact" delivery. Rotel is precise and... not clinical necessarily, but very neutral and could sometimes sound uninvolving. Marantz is ok, but to compete with the A19, you should look at models like the PM8005. Arcam A19 is great imo, give that a go - I used to own A19 + Focal Aria 906, it's a great combo. My next option would be XTZ A100D3 (which sounds almost like a Marantz, but with more grunt and scale) - this one you can get online with return policy, comes from Sweden. Then Rotel RA12 and Marantz PM8005.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:

The Arcam is the better amp and will live with upgrades the Marantz is built to a lower budget which you'll only really start to appreciate after a few months of ownership..... Or not.

Have to confess I've never heard either - but you pays your money and....... I forget how that quote ends.
well when I had a demo done at richer sounds on the arcam a19 it sounded detailed that's it only good thing I can say about it . The bad points are it sounded cold and not very dynamic I guess that's ok for classic music but not for heavy metal the a19 just sounded so plane sounding not in your face like the marantz is and NO not bright sounding before you say ! I thought that the marantz had the detail , warm sounding , good bass sound at the time and the marantz pm6005 is very good value for money and just because it's budget does not mean it's crap the arcam A19 is over priced for what it is but the arcam A29 is a much better amp that had more about it then the A19 did I could hear some warm sound to it with good detail but then your paying £1300 for it my marantz pm8005 sounds better then that and I paid £600 sorry but just because it's British made does not mean I am a mug and pay £600 for A19 that sounds **** even if it has won awards . I think arcam used to make good amps in the 1990s some of there top Amps are good A29 , A49 but that's it but hay it's only my OPINION!!!!!!! This is why I said get a demo done because it's the only way this person is going to know what he likes sound wise in a amp .

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Thompsonuxb said:

well when I had a demo done at richer sounds on the arcam a19 it sounded detailed that's it only good thing I can say about it . The bad points are it sounded cold i guess that's ok for classic music but not for heavy metal the a19 just sounded so plane sounding not in your face like the marantz is and NO not bright sounding before you say !  I thought that the marantz had the detail , warm sounding , good bass sound at the time and the marantz pm6005 is very good value for money and just because it's budget does not mean it's ---- the arcam A19 is over priced for what it is but the arcam A29 is a much better amp that had more about it then the A19 did I could hear some warm sound to it with good detail but then your paying £1300 for it my marantz pm8005 sounds better then that and I paid £600 sorry but just because it's British made does not mean I am a mug and pay £600 for A19 that sounds #### even if it has won awards . I think arcam used to make good amps in the 1990s  some of there top Amps are good A29 , A49  but that's it but hay it's only my OPINION!!!!!!!  This is why I said get a demo done because it's the only way this person is going to know what he likes sound wise in a amp  .

Ooooooookayyy then.... glad we got that cleared up.

Anyhoo interesting what you say ref the A29 - the A19 scored higher in its range with a 5star review over the A29's 4star review which is not dissimilar to your views on the A19......

So maybe an audition is in order..... :)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Thompsonuxb said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Thompsonuxb said:

well when I had a demo done at richer sounds on the arcam a19 it sounded detailed that's it only good thing I can say about it . The bad points are it sounded cold i guess that's ok for classic music but not for heavy metal the a19 just sounded so plane sounding not in your face like the marantz is and NO not bright sounding before you say ! I thought that the marantz had the detail , warm sounding , good bass sound at the time and the marantz pm6005 is very good value for money and just because it's budget does not mean it's ---- the arcam A19 is over priced for what it is but the arcam A29 is a much better amp that had more about it then the A19 did I could hear some warm sound to it with good detail but then your paying £1300 for it my marantz pm8005 sounds better then that and I paid £600 sorry but just because it's British made does not mean I am a mug and pay £600 for A19 that sounds #### even if it has won awards . I think arcam used to make good amps in the 1990s some of there top Amps are good A29 , A49 but that's it but hay it's only my OPINION!!!!!!! This is why I said get a demo done because it's the only way this person is going to know what he likes sound wise in a amp .

Ooooooookayyy then.... glad we got that cleared up.

Anyhoo interesting what you say ref the A29 - the A19 scored higher in its range with a 5star review over the A29's 4star review which is not dissimilar to your views on the A19......

So maybe an audition is in order..... :)
to be honest I was gutted myself when I heard the A19 I wanted one just goes to show why demoing is important I do think there are much better amps out there that's all but everyone different in what they like

Reijer

Apr 22, 2014
Visit site
In search for an amp for my 685s2, I've listened to Rotel, Arcam, NAD, Rega, Audio Analogue, Peachtree and TEAC. For me, the TEAC was the best match.

During the auditions the Arcam was one of the first to drop out of competition. It sounded dull and muffeld. With the salesman we looked to all the wiring was correct but that was okee. The combo was not good to my ears, and his also.

Rotel was oke but not great. NAD is always great but TEAC delivered the best perfomance with the 685s2. It also has a build-in DAC.

Try to audition, even if it takes weeks.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Reijer said:
In search for an amp for my 685s2, I've listened to Rotel, Arcam, NAD, Rega, Audio Analogue, Peachtree and TEAC. For me, the TEAC was the best match.

During the auditions the Arcam was one of the first to drop out of competition. It sounded dull and muffeld. With the salesman we looked to all the wiring was correct but that was okee. The combo was not good to my ears, and his also.

Rotel was oke but not great. NAD is always great but TEAC delivered the best perfomance with the 685s2. It also has a build-in DAC.

Try to audition, even if it takes weeks.
I am so glad it's not just me who thinks the arcam sounded dull too I was shocked when the saleman first started up the arcam it was not for me and I am sure arcam never used to sound like that

JeromeMF

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm gonna try and demo all of them. Unfortunately most of the stores here don't really do demos or the guys are not really opened to the idea (dunno if its store policy or simply laziness). I'm nontheless going to insist.

Audio really is subjective and everyone has a different opinion. You guys are awesome trying to help me. I'll try to keep in mind evey advice :)

If the stores close to you aren't open to demos, then take yourself and your cash elsewhere, that's no way to operate a hifi business, I'd rather even buy online without a dem than go to a shop and be told I can't have one. But the chances are it's laziness on the staffs part and if you contacted the owners of the store, I'm sure attitudes would change. Although the atmosphere could be frosty and that's not a good start, it needs to be a friendly, relaxed atmosphere in a demo room or your just not going to enjoy the experience and it'll probably put you off going for another again. Even travel to another area if you must (if possible) until you find some friendly knowledgeable staff.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
+ 1 here are you from the uk ? i would not be happy if they told me they do not do demos i would go somewhere where you can get a demo done i would hate to hear that you got a new amp and then hated it at the end of the day its your money you have the power not them find a shop that will help you

JeromeMF

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
I'm from Portugal. One of the guys litteraly told me it would lots of work to connect everything... And he's the owner. I don't need to tell you i'm not going back there. I told him right away I wasn't going to buy anything blindly. Specially if he has the conditions to demo the equipment but just feels lazy. I haven't been to the other stores yet. Only talked over the phone or email. I found two cool hifi store near my house so I'll just go as soon as I can and directly ask. I don't mind taking my own speakers if needed as long as I can listen to the amps I'm interested.

If none of them will be patient and try to rush me to buy anything I'll prefer to buy online.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
JeromeMF said:
I'm from Portugal. One of the guys litteraly told me it would lots of work to connect everything... And he's the owner. I don't need to tell you i'm not going back there. I told him right away I wasn't going to buy anything blindly. Specially if he has the conditions to demo the equipment but just feels lazy. I haven't been to the other stores yet. Only talked over the phone or email. I found two cool hifi store near my house so I'll just go as soon as I can and directly ask. I don't mind taking my own speakers if needed as long as I can listen to the amps I'm interested.

If none of them will be patient and try to rush me to buy anything I'll prefer to buy online.
if its a good hifi shop they should have some B&Ws speakers but trust me you have done the right thing by not going back to that shop its your money and you want the best you can get for it there is no shame in that i would take some cds with you and play them on the demo take your time be 100% happy before parting with your money never let them rush you in any way its your money your the boss let us no how you get on good luck

JeromeMF

Dec 29, 2015
Visit site
It took me time but it's done now. I endeed with the A19.

It just sounds amazing to me. It's been a joy everyday at home when I turn it on. The othe amps were also amazing but there is something about the A19 that sounds right to me. The bass is amazing and the vocals, instruments sound just the way I love.

I didn't really like the sound of CXA80.. Bright and "digital" (it's the best description I can find). The Quad sounded really good too but It's underpowered in case I want to change my speakers and there was still something missing. I wasn't able to listen to any Rotel.. none were available. I started with the marantz and it sounded great but then I tried the Quad and the A19 and both sounded way better to me.

I'm really happy with my purchase!

Thanks for you help guys :)

iceman16

JeromeMF said:
It took me time but it's done now. I endeed with the A19.

It just sounds amazing to me. It's been a joy everyday at home when I turn it on. The othe amps were also amazing but there is something about the A19 that sounds right to me. The bass is amazing and the vocals, instruments sound just the way I love.

I didn't really like the sound of CXA80.. Bright and "digital" (it's the best description I can find). The Quad sounded really good too but It's underpowered in case I want to change my speakers and there was still something missing. I wasn't able to listen to any Rotel.. none were available. I started with the marantz and it sounded great but then I tried the Quad and the A19 and both sounded way better to me.

I'm really happy with my purchase!

Thanks for you help guys :)

Good job Sir..
thumbs_up.gif

TRENDING THREADS