Bananas / Spades

CodyTARA

Dec 23, 2014
Visit site
Hello! Cody from TARA Labs here again.

Over the years, we receive many emails asking about termination for speaker cables. What we have found is that in the USA, the preferred termination is spades. But in Europe, it seems that bananas are the preferred terminations. I personally like spades, but would love to hear from European audiophiles which termination the prefer and why?

Hope you're all having a wonderful holiday!

A

Anderson

If you like, I'll answer loads of marketing research questions but instead of doing it for nothing I will happily accept payment.

Say £4 per question, I'll give you my phone number if you like.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I guess it can also be an issue of aestethics (did I spill tat currectly?)

How much room have you got behind the speakers/amplifier? - With super stiff cables and bananas they can stick some distance out.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
When using top quality, expensive cable capable of improving SQ by significant margins surely there is a 'BEST' termination. Spade, banana, bare wire, screw, solder, crimp, adhesive, lubricant etc. Termination must have a significant effect on electron flow and transmission of signals thru cables????

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Requirements for a speaker connection are low resistance, and a gas tight connection to avoid corrosion.

Banana plugs aren't great. Contact area depends on the relative diameters of the plug and the hole, in some cases the only contact is the spring and a small area of plug directly opposite. The strength of the spring is unlikely to lead to a gas tight seal.

Spades are better. Much greater connection area than a banana plug, and the opportunity to tighten the fitting to create a gas tight seal.

In order of preference, I would have spade, then bare wire, then banana.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I'd hazard a guess that many people use banana plugs because they are easy to use, and they would not know about or for that matter be able to hear any difference using spades or any other 'technically superior' connection.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
I'd hazard a guess that many people use banana plugs because they are easy to use, and they would not know about or for that matter be able to hear any difference using spades or any other 'technically superior' connection.

I am unsure why banana plugs are any more or less convenient than spade connections?

I suppose if you reconnect your speakers once a day, the extra 15 seconds taken to tighten each binding post would add up. Personally, I try to limit the number of times a year I rewire my system.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
andyjm said:
jonathanRD said:

I am unsure why banana plugs are any more or less convenient than spade connections?

I suppose if you reconnect your speakers once a day, the extra 15 seconds taken to tighten each binding post would add up. Personally, I try to limit the number of times a year I rewire my system.

I agree with you, I just think that many people would consider being able to plug them in rather than tighten screws to be easier - and that maybe why plugs are more popular. Who knows *scratch_one-s_head*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
It's not about being easier or better. Spades resemble like connecting a car battery. Banana plugs are more jewelry like and every audiophile ironically prefers them despite being the worst connection and potentially the worst sound. But considering so much is lost from the original recording while using vinyl and tube amps, what is a banana plug or two (or sixteen) going to hurt.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I've had the same speaker cable for about 14 years I think. I've no intention of faffing about with terminations.

I've got got bananas at the amp end so I can get 2 wires into 1 for my bi wire (no I don't believe in it, but I experimented years ago and I CBA to change it) and I've got bare wire at the speaker terminals.

I've changed amps and speakers a few times and kept the same cables, I've never changed the terminations, it works, so I'm happy.

If I were to start again I'd probably use spades at both ends and single wire, but as far as the music goes it won't make any differnce, so as they say 'if it ain't broke'...

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
but it seems to make sense to me to bare wire. Fewer contacts...

...... but open to the air and hence oxydation/corrosion. Trimming the ends and using fresh metal will work but if you do it often enough your cables end up to short.....*sad*

The one thing not mentioned is the quality of the connection of the cable to the termination. Use good quality solder and, more importantly, good airtight sleeving/covering and you are good to go, bananas are good as they are, effectively, self cleaning, just unplugging/plugging will do the job.

A good connection is a good connection irrespective of the method used, loose spades are less good than tight bananas and vice versa. Clean fresh wire better than dirty corroded wire, simple really.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:

...... but open to the air and hence oxydation/corrosion. Trimming the ends and using fresh metal will work but if you do it often enough your cables end up to short.....*sad*

The one thing not mentioned is the quality of the connection of the cable to the termination. Use good quality solder and, more importantly, good airtight sleeving/covering and you are good to go, bananas are good as they are, effectively, self cleaning, just unplugging/plugging will do the job.

A good connection is a good connection irrespective of the method used, loose spades are less good than tight bananas and vice versa. Clean fresh wire better than dirty corroded wire, simple really.

Good post Dave
thumbs_up.gif

The thing about copper, is that ime, corrosion is usually quickly visible, and I can honestly say that when it comes to speaker cables, I've never seen any sign of it, even in 20 year old cables. I suppose a lot depends on where they are used, room conditions etc. But, point taken
thumbs_up.gif

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:

Good post Dave

The thing about copper, is that ime, corrosion is usually quickly visible, and I can honestly say that when it comes to speaker cables, I've never seen any sign of it, even in 20 year old cables. I suppose a lot depends on where they are used, room conditions etc. But, point taken

Strangely some cables from a well known electronics manufacturer would deteriorate badly, ie the copper and dielectric would react in the presence of air causing a noticeable change in the colour and quality of the copper, this would spread 'up' the cable from the open end often a good few inches so trimming for fresh copper could easily cost you 6 inches or so at each end.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:
davedotco said:
Freddy58 said:

Good post Dave

Strangely some cables from a well known electronics manufacturer would deteriorate badly, ie the copper and dielectric would react in the presence of air causing a noticeable change in the colour and quality of the copper, this would spread 'up' the cable from the open end often a good few inches so trimming for fresh copper could easily cost you 6 inches or so at each end.

As I said, the fewer the connections seems to make sense to me. Unless one were to completely seal any connection, then corrosion will always be an issue no matter what one uses, wouldn't it? It may/may not surprise you, but I work in the aircraft industry, and corrosion is something that's fairly high on the agenda. One of my tasks is to 'seal off' bonded connections of dis-similar metals, so not a million miles away from this particular issue.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
The best connection is bare wire tinned with solder, cleaned with alcohol from hand grease residue. Once in every 2 years you cut an inch off each end and refresh the connections.

Copper that isn't tinned will oxidize quickly, regardless if bare or in a banana or spade plugs. No solder = no airtight seal.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Just as an addition to my earlier post, anyone who is using spades or bananas that aren't soldered to the cable but use those silly little grubscrews should be ashamed of themselves.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts