Balanced power supply - is 2kVA enough juice?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I'm thinking about getting myself one of these, http://www.airlinktransformers.com/transformer/bps2000-balanced-power-supply.asp , relatively cheap so worth a go I reckon. My only question is whether the rating of 2kVA (that's the continuous current that it can deliver I assume?) will be sufficient for my kit. I guess it needs to be enough for either my HiFi or home cinema (as per below) to be pumping out at full blast - the other may be 'on' but not doing anything.

I'll be connecting my HiFi components to it via one Tacima 6-way mains conditioner and my home cinema components via another.

Thoughts?

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Very good fot isolating equipment. It matters most if you use 2 or more.

So you can isolate your amps from the front end, and just maybe one for sources to, but i think 2 will be most cost effective.

But it's not neccesary to have the 2000VA rating! 1000 or 1200VA for amps and the other 500VA for the front end is enough!

A

Anonymous

my new years resolution is to tell the truth

unless you have an amazing rock concert like setup with stacks of amps this is a waste of money

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
one off:

unless you have an amazing rock concert like setup with stacks of amps this is a waste of money

Based on experience?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
RCduck7:

So you can isolate your amps from the front end, and just maybe one for sources to, but i think 2 will be most cost effective.

But it's not neccesary to have the 2000VA rating! 1000 or 1200VA for amps and the other 500VA for the front end is enough!

Thanks RC,

So there are 2 output sockets on the BPS - are you saying to use a tacima connected to one for sources and a tacima connected to the other for the amps and other things (rather than splitting by HiFi and HC as I was proposing)? Or were you advocating 2 BPSs, one for sources; one for amps?

I appreciate all the comments - I certainly don't have a rock concert-like set-up mores the pity! Although I have a respectable enough pre-power combo as you can see from my signature. The main idea behind this is to isolate my kit from mains noise - not wishing to stir-up a hornet's nest here - the jury is very much out on the whole concept for me, but at £190ish this is (just about) 'have a go' territory. I just wanted to make sure the rating would be sufficient, which it sounds like it would be.

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:one off:

Based on experience?

research

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
I can smell a padlock on the horizon
emotion-5.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
RCduck7:

My power amps supposed to have a peak rating of 2500Va. Thats without ANYTHING else plugged through it

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK:RCduck7:

My power amps supposed to have a peak rating of 2500Va. Thats without ANYTHING else plugged through it

On the backside of my amp it says MAX 1200VA and in the manual it says MAX 1000VA?

I had been playing all my equipment through one 1000VA transformer for some time and haven't noticed a problem. The transformer i have can go to higher peaks double it's rating though. Also, even if you play at ear bleeding levels, you will never come close to the Watts power rating stated by your amp in practice. One amp i measured has a continuous 2x 250 watt at 8ohm and i measured a maximum of 60 Watts consumption at high volume level, sure it can have a peak power that is to fast to measure but it wouldn't be that much more. My 800 Watt Yamaha subwoofer is using only 50 watts when i let it go as loud as the room can take.

It's not like your using the transformer with a 2000Watt electric stove! That's a totally different comsumption beast!

RCduck7

Aug 18, 2007
Visit site
Dan,

A transformer with a mains conditioner before or after the transformer should yield good results. In your case after the transformer as you use a tacima power strip. But i should note that some conditioners can compromise on dynamics like i heard for instance with an expensive PS Audio Quintet. But i have been reading good comments about a Tacima.

But amps can create there own hum noise and can polute the sensetive source/front end components. How much depends on the quality of transformers used inside the source components. So you isolate to a degree noise from outside but amps create there own noise. That's why i mentioned it is good to use 2 transformers. The transformer you mentioned has 2 outlets but has it 2 different transformers inside it's box, and an outlet for each? i don't think so. From my experience it can be cheaper to have 2 transformers from a lower rating then one big transformer for everything.

So, how do i know this? I have had a Kemp mains noise dedector and it shed light on how and what causse polution in the mains. Defenitly and eye opener on how to tackle mains problems, some dealers should lend this out if you want to use one.

These are my transformers...

http://www.sacthailand.com/

TRENDING THREADS