which amp for KEf Ref 205/2 ...budget limits applied

mgavran

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
I did not continue with my personal diary of entering the hifi realm...KEF 205/2 i asked the opinions have got their new home.

What I missed to tell - did not know at the time ! - was the price
smile.gif
, so I have now such a great speakers run by SANSUI g7000 receiveer (although restored, cleaned, new caps etc...)

...It is not to be told as i got it so good that the question of other speakers was not a real question any more when having this offer. So i resepected the good advices from you at the forum here, that the amp will likely be not sufficient and was ready when i faced it soon!

Yes it worked with SANSUI G 7000, i have heard the music i never had before from my CD collection, FLAC vaults, 24/96 etc..and then a friend came with his amp to try it too (he has some FOCAL, not rememberd) and he was impressed as well.

But i heard again new and more and different music!

So, i took into account the price i paid is a bargain, and to make it right, and make sense of this unexpected good buy that i regard lifetime value... i need the amp. yes, exactly as David, Andrew, CNO mentioned..:)
smile.gif

Even i have at home such a pair of gems, i hold no pile of cash to make them paired as they may deserve..e.g i read one comment, maybe David's, to put them onto a pair of X300.... I would like to do that, but not possible..now or soon.

I would warmy welcome your thoughts : need to buy an integrated amp to link the KEF 205/2 with my digital music mostly played by jriver, itunes from Mac, via Cambridge Audio DacMagic100. Occasinally using a CD playeer, a vintage TechnicsSL P770A via DacMagic100 toslink.

My reasoning is as much power/current...solid amp from used market with a good build .

HEGEL 300 ? now in the light of 360 lots of offers

MF M6i even new MF6Si - but why no rating on 4 ohm is listed ?--> this would be my target for now !

or older MF 308 in a good shape

or other , which, for temporary(transitional) solution until i get more money :)

I am ready to keep the CA DacMagic 100, will live without a remote
smile.gif
as now with sansui

Just need to hear the music as it could be possible with better amp on Ref 205/2. They are brilliant !

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Once you know how good the 205/2s can sound, it is no good doing anything by half measures, and once you out a restriction on the price, you're also compromising their full capabilities. They do need careful partnering, otherwise they just will not sound their worth, and they're ruthlessly revealing of the source signal. I'd be looking to use something like the following, which are combinations I've heard:

Cyrus DACxp/Mono X300

Bryston BP26/4Bsst2

Onkyo P3000R/M5000R

Chord CPA2500/SPM1050

I know those aren't the answers you were looking for, but if your Sansui is sounding anywhere near half decent with them at the moment, I'd be tempted to save your money and work towards an end goal, rather than taking temporary measures.

mgavran

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
David I can only say i almost knew you will - if you bother at all -come with this list AND the comment...to wait until real upgrade is possible. The list is a great one, i can tell you i remember reading it and scanning the market for cyrus gear , checking the offers etc.. Thanks for this, honestly, even not expecting it was good to remind myself..

This is my hell now..looking for an amp that will do some good, knowing it is not the final solution.*nea*

Having this thought, at the same time i am evaluating the amp that can be later sold (!) to allow the upgrade .... but once i hear this other amp- accuphase it was, E350... it is very hard to keep off this temptation to upgrade as much as possible now *biggrin*

I will keep madly scan the net and think it over...as it is only i can until wisdom strike me to make peace..

or i got fired for not doing anything but thinking about amps

or my wife leave me for the same reason (kids make fun of me, them it is no problem)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
I commend you for your patience -- a lot of people on this forum could learn from you (and I include myself in that number).

If the Accuphase has got its claws into you, you'll need to scan the 2nd-hand market for an Accu or maybe a Luxman or one of the Sony ES series. Other vintage Japanese amps worth seeking out: Onkyo A-7, Pioneer A-09, Sansui AU-D907 and many others. Worth having a look at The Vintage Knob.

There seem to be quite a few Musical Fidelity models on the 2nd-hand market at the moment. One of the M8 series power amps would be great for your KEFs. I'm a fan of very high-powered amps like these (though I do have speakers that are exceptionally hard to drive): I have one of these babies. There are now also Devialets coming onto the 2nd-hand market. And then there's Electrocompaniet, of course ... Plenty to choose from.

In your position I'd also consider a Hypex Class D amp. Colin/Boggit/IQspeakers sells them at very reasonable prices under the brandname Nord.

Good luck!

mgavran

Nov 17, 2015
Visit site
well, what to say... wisdom is easy to recognize backwards :) so I praise the advice and am happy i took it... did not buy half way something on the way but did a lot of hearing and effort in the end....

Now i believe this is it . i have such a response from 205.2 pair that i could not imagine when i have bought them, by a sheer lucky chance, for reasonable or, more then reasonable price.

Musical Fidelity KW 550 is now making KEFs sing and dance, the details and calm but precise and live stage i got is so far from what i EVER heard and certainly never expected at home.

It was so right to postpone and i believe, thanks to opinions here, David@FrankHarvey was the most clear - Thanks!

+ my respect for this speaker, I saved some money in buy sell madness over next few years and got it - i am sure - right !

Thanks guys !!

Now the question is starting to grow (but no budget at all:) what would I hear if instead of DacMagic 100 another DAC will play , e.g. Chord 2Qute ???

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
mgavran said:
well, what to say... wisdom is easy to recognize backwards :) so I praise the advice and am happy i took it... did not buy half way something on the way but did a lot of hearing and effort in the end....

Now i believe this is it .  i have such a response from 205.2 pair that i could not imagine when i have bought them, by a sheer lucky chance, for reasonable or, more then reasonable price.

Musical Fidelity KW 550 is now making KEFs sing and dance, the details and calm but precise and live stage i got is so far from what i EVER heard and certainly never expected at home.

It was so right to postpone and i believe, thanks to opinions here, David@FrankHarvey was the most clear - Thanks!

+  my respect for this speaker, I saved some money in buy sell madness over next few years and got it - i am sure - right !

Thanks guys !!

Now the question is starting to grow (but no budget at all:) what would I hear if instead of DacMagic 100 another DAC will play , e.g. Chord 2Qute ???

Congratulations on your purchase! Bet it sounds awesome.

In the dac - be very careful to fall into the hype. A new dac wont make the same impact on your sound as the speakers/amp so id make sure all your music is first off stored at full resolution possible in flac format and not mp3 etc then arrage a home trail for a new dac but if you cant hear a difference id stick to what you have.

Btw a second hand rega dac goes for cheap on ebay or you could look at an mdac second hand also

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Congratulations on putting together a great pairing....I have a good idea what you are hearing.

If you are looking for a Source to go with it, I would strongly recommend you try a Linn DS (Sneaky or Majik). In a good system, don't underestimate the effect a good Front End can have.

TRENDING THREADS